What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown extended

Every team in the nation play regional/state “rivals”. It’s the nature of the business.
This is the common misconception of this game, usually mentioned by CSU fans. Name another regional/in-state "rivalry" that is played on an annual basis between a P5 and G5 team. If you can think of one (I can't), is it played at a neutral site?

Most of the G5 schools that aren’t in prime recruiting areas will. Wyoming has signed quite a few, Boise State just did a week ago. You can definitely get them, especially when you package it with a one for one in b-ball.
****. games. in. Idaho. and. Wyoming.

They do not help us.

****. games. in. Idaho. and. Wyoming.

They do not help us.
They absolutely do help us. We get two home games for one road game and put an easier win on the schedule while we have 10 P5 games.

You get your exposure from your marquee P5 opponent, schedule one fcs team per season (unless those totally go away) and then have a bunch of 2 for 1s with G5 teams that are local so you limit travel costs, travel times and get a good amount of opposing fans to come to Folsom.

They absolutely do help us. We get two home games for one road game and put an easier win on the schedule while we have 10 P5 games.

You get your exposure from your marquee P5 opponent, schedule one fcs team per season (unless those totally go away) and then have a bunch of 2 for 1s with G5 teams that are local so you limit travel costs, travel times and get a good amount of opposing fans to come to Folsom.
Delusional.

Delusional.
Not really but good response. If G5 teams don’t want to sign 2 for 1’s then just schedule two P5 teams a year. There is no benefit to signing a home and home with a G5 team when you can sign the same thing with a power conference team.

Mike Bohn approves. "Aim for the mediocrity!"

I wouldn't mind playing more Rocky Mountain Region teams. Wyoming, Montana, BYU, Boise St, ND St., etc.
I'd really like this approach. College football is really all about regional foes in my mind. Playing Montana, Wyoming, etc - those fans would have an absolute blast in Folsom, even when they lose, and a lot of CU fans could probably enjoy a short trip to see the Buffs play in those towns if we reciprocated a visit.

I'd really like this approach. College football is really all about regional foes in my mind. Playing Montana, Wyoming, etc - those fans would have an absolute blast in Folsom, even when they lose, and a lot of CU fans could probably enjoy a short trip to see the Buffs play in those towns if we reciprocated a visit.
No.

It’s the norm for most teams with 9 game conference schedules but okay.

The one P5 team better be amazing. Every single year.

Otherwise, playing Minnesota, Wyoming, and some FCS school is silly. When CU waters down the schedule, bad things tend to happen.

Just want to ask a question. What did CU's schedule look like when they were one of the better programs in the country? :D

The one P5 team better be amazing. Every single year.

Otherwise, playing Minnesota, Wyoming, and some FCS school is silly. When CU waters down the schedule, bad things tend to happen.
Yeah but I said that’s fine to schedule another P5 team to a home and home, I just think it’s dumb to schedule a home and home with those G5 teams if they demand it. So basically either plan has an FCS team, you either have a big time P5 opponent and a lower tier G5 team (2-1) or you have two mid/lower tier P5 teams.

I could go in depth, but you lost me when you said Montana was a regional foe. There's really nothing left to say after that. If you just want CU to play a bunch of nobody teams in the rocky mountains, just say so, but don't dress it up as more than that.
They are regional - rocky mountains. If we played them, they would be a foe. Pretty straight forward. I'm not calling them a rival or anything, nor a team we should care about, I'm simply saying they're a potential team to play that's semi-nearby and if we did some 2 for 1 deal with them, that would be fine. Lots of fans could travel. Missoula (as the example) is a fun mountain town in a gorgeous setting. Etc. I'm not dressing it up. Untwist your panties.

Most of the G5 schools that aren’t in prime recruiting areas will. Wyoming has signed quite a few, Boise State just did a week ago. You can definitely get them, especially when you package it with a one for one in b-ball.

Wyoming plays a fair amount of one-offs as well-Iowa last year, Clemson in a few years, they've played two one-offs at Folsom that I can remember as well.

They are regional - rocky mountains. If we played them, they would be a foe. Pretty straight forward. I'm not calling them a rival or anything, nor a team we should care about, I'm simply saying they're a potential team to play that's semi-nearby and if we did some 2 for 1 deal with them, that would be fine. Lots of fans could travel. Missoula (as the example) is a fun mountain town in a gorgeous setting. Etc. I'm not dressing it up. Untwist your panties.
Since when does football have anything to do with a mountain town? No one goes to mountain towns to watch football. As for how close Missoula is, I am going to point out how asinine that makes your argument.

Missoula is a 13 hour drive away. St. Louis is closer. Dallas is just as far. If your range is a 13 hour drive for a "region," that opens up a third of the country.

If you don't want to watch good football, go cheer for a mountain west team.

Wyoming plays a fair amount of one-offs as well-Iowa last year, Clemson in a few years, they've played two one-offs at Folsom that I can remember as well.
Yes and there was no reason to cave to the pressure by CSU to sign a home and home. They are playing a one off at Iowa and originally planned a one off at Arkansas so if they don’t want to sign a 2-1 with us then they can, as sackman says, eat a bag of dicks.

To Missoula? LOL what?

This is the common misconception of this game, usually mentioned by CSU fans. Name another regional/in-state "rivalry" that is played on an annual basis between a P5 and G5 team. If you can think of one (I can't), is it played at a neutral site?
LSU v LA Tech and Utah v Utah State off the top of my head

Since when does football have anything to do with a mountain town? No one goes to mountain towns to watch football. As for how close Missoula is, I am going to point out how asinine that makes your argument.

Missoula is a 13 hour drive away. St. Louis is closer. Dallas is just as far. If your range is a 13 hour drive for a "region," that opens up a third of the country.

If you don't want to watch good football, go cheer for a mountain west team.
We're chatting about ideas for watching football games. I said earlier I'd like to see a game against Nebraska every year. I expect at least one big P5 OOC every year. I ain't saying I want a slate of Idaho State all year long, I'm saying if we assume we're going to have one easy win each year in the OOC, I'd be cool with those being other rocky mountain teams. And it's a meaningless opinion anyways. I repeat: untwist thine panties.

More games in : 1) Texas. 2) East (esp Atlantic coast); 3) South
FIFY. The Midwest is dying. 50% of the country's population lives in the eastern time zone. Boston, NYC and DC all have very large and active alumni associations.

Put a school like Maryland, UVA, VTech, Rutgers, etc on the schedule at least once a decade.

FIFY. The Midwest is dying. 50% of the country's population lives in the eastern time zone. Boston, NYC and DC all have very large and active alumni associations.

Put a school like Maryland, UVA, VTech, Rutgers, etc on the schedule at least once a decade.
Football in the Midwest definitely isn’t dying though and that’s what really matters.

LSU v LA Tech and Utah v Utah State off the top of my head
This year is the first time LSU has played LA Tech since 2009, it's in Baton Rouge, and they don't have them on the schedule next year, so that's definitely not an example. It also looks like Utah did a home and home vs Utah State in 2012 and 2013 and then played them at home in the 2015, but don't play them for at least the next 3 seasons.

Vatech would be AWESOME. Now that's a regional mountain school I could get behind!

I just want to go to fun cities and have fun fan bases visit boulder, that’s why I posted in the schedule forum that Wisconsin and Iowa are way up on my list. BYU just doesn’t do that for me.

I would love to go to Boise for a game, it’s a mini Denver and I think our fans would have fun. They also just signed a 2 for 1 with Oregon so they would be down.
<rhetorical>if Oregon can get a 2:1 with a G5 school the caliper of BSU, why in the hell can't CU do better than a 1:1 with a school like CSU?!?!?!"</rhetorical>

Back