What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Rocky Mountain Showdown extended

<rhetorical>if Oregon can get a 2:1 with a G5 school the caliper of BSU, why in the hell can't CU do better than a 1:1 with a school like CSU?!?!?!"</rhetorical>
I brought it up earlier but Oregon played it smart and used their basketball program as leverage, which I think we totally should have done with New Mexico to get a 2 for 1. Oregon is actually playing Boise twice in one basketball season I believe, one home and one away.

LSU v LA Tech and Utah v Utah State off the top of my head

Neither of those series play every year though-LSU and LA Tech haven't played since 2009, and Utah and Utah State have played three times since the Utes joined the Pac 12, and don't have anything on the books to play again at this point. (Winsipedia/FBSchedules).

He is not a fan of traveling to play a FCS school, like any same person.
Hilarious. You should definitely keep titling at windmills about playing Texas St. (played them just last year) and getting more exposure in TX (playing both TCU and A&M in the near future). Not sure if you want our entire non conference to be against a rotating slate of Texas teams or what.

My ideal scenario would be one game against a regional team (Wyom, CSU, AFA, BSU, Mont) and two games against P5 opponents.

This year is the first time LSU has played LA Tech since 2009, it's in Baton Rouge, and they don't have them on the schedule next year, so that's definitely not an example. It also looks like Utah did a home and home vs Utah State in 2012 and 2013 and then played them at home in the 2015, but don't play them for at least the next 3 seasons.
You're correct. I suppose I was confused because both of those teams, as most do, play a smaller regional opponent every year.

So Oregon, Wazzu, Missouri, Iowa, and Nebraska have all played Wyoming in the last 3 years, but somehow we are too good for them?

Hilarious. You should definitely keep titling at windmills about playing Texas St. (played them just last year) and getting more exposure in TX (playing both TCU and A&M in the near future). Not sure if you want our entire non conference to be against a rotating slate of Texas teams or what.

My ideal scenario would be one game against a regional team (Wyom, CSU, AFA, BSU, Mont) and two games against P5 opponents.

Texas State is a bad example-We had a 2 for 1 with San Jose State scheduled (can't remember the third year off hand, but this year and last year were a part of that) that got dropped right after MM got here. When that got dropped, we needed a one-off against an FBS opponent. Texas State offered.

Air Force is too hard to schedule-They have two games with Army and Navy they play every year and they like to open the year with a cupcake-that gives them one OOC slot to use. I would do a two for one with Wyoming in the future. I don't have a problem with playing Big Sky schools (would prefer UNC since I went there) when we need those games, but let's keep in mind that they are FCS opponents......

Last edited:
Air Force is too hard to schedule-They have two games with Army and Navy they play every year and they like to open the year with a cupcake-that gives them one OOC slot to use. I would do a two for one with Wyoming in the future. I don't have a problem with playing Big Sky schools (would prefer UNC since I went there) when we need those games, but let's keep in mind that they are FCS opponents......
I understand they're FCS, but we play one every year anyway. May as well be one from a neighboring state, rather then UNH or Georgia Southern.

I think we should schedule a home and home with the Denver Broncos. That gets us a regional opponent and a ton of exposure, since that's the only team the media talks about around here. Must be in Folsom and Mile High, no neutral site game in Ft. Collins.
Too much downside for the Broncos if they lose, and not really any upside if they win. Non starter.

CU should be scheduling at least one game in one of their biggest recruiting areas every year (Texas). Past that, one big P5 game and possibly a gimme game. CU is killing themselves by not scheduling games in Texas. Get at least one game a year there, or every other year and recruiting could change drastically.

Regional match-ups are absolutely stupid and make no sense in today's college football. I have no problem with the CSU game every few years, but absolutely no reason to schedule the names listed above.

CU should be scheduling at least one game in one of their biggest recruiting areas every year (Texas). Past that, one big P5 game and possibly a gimme game. CU is killing themselves by not scheduling games in Texas. Get at least one game a year there, or every other year and recruiting could change drastically.

Regional match-ups are absolutely stupid and make no sense in today's college football. I have no problem with the CSU game every few years, but absolutely no reason to schedule the names listed above.
Saying they should schedule one game a season in Texas is a lot easier said than done though. Obviously in a perfect world if we could play one of Texas, A&M, TCU, Baylor, TTU, OU every season but that is nearly impossible. Then you have to schedule home and homes with G5 teams which aren't the end of the world if they are against Houston and SMU but that is about it. Everyone wants to talk about exposure but you know what is better for exposure than playing Houston or SMU? Playing Nebraska on ABC in prime time.

Last edited:

Yes, I think there should be more Texas games. If we want to recruit that state well, we need a presence there and OOC games can certainly help.

Like Darth said, including Montana in this discussion is stupid. No one really cares where the FCS teams we play come from, so no need to oversell the "regional" angle.

Saying they should schedule one game a season in Texas is a lot easier said than done though. Obviously in a perfect world if we could play one of Texas, A&M, TCU, Baylor, TTU, OU every season that would be perfect but that is nearly impossible. Then you have to schedule home and homes with G5 teams which aren't the end of the world if they are against Houston and SMU but that is about it. Everyone wants to talk about exposure but you know what is better for exposure than playing Houston or SMU? Playing Nebraska on ABC in prime time.

Think bigger than Nebraska.

Not to speak for Duff, because I rarely know exactly what he’s trying to say, but I think his point is that Nebraska isn’t nearly the national draw they once were. There are better options.

I don’t really understand what you are getting at. We already scheduled A&M and TCU.

After those two series, the schedule is looking bland. North Dakota State, Kansas State, Northwestern, and Georgia Tech.

Not to speak for Duff, because I rarely know exactly what he’s trying to say, but I think his point is that Nebraska isn’t nearly the national draw they once were. There are better options.

Mainly that and we should be looking for bigger names after the four-game series.

Yes, I think there should be more Texas games. If we want to recruit that state well, we need a presence there and OOC games can certainly help.

Like Darth said, including Montana in this discussion is stupid. No one really cares where the FCS teams we play come from, so no need to oversell the "regional" angle.
Actually people do care, as evidenced by this thread.

Vatech would be AWESOME. Now that's a regional mountain school I could get behind!
  1. What is this "Vatech" program you speak of? I thought only inbred SEC commentators used that term.
  2. I don't see a plus for either team in terms of regional recruiting or branding. However, VT does have a series with Arizona and BYU, so maybe there's a strategy there I'm not aware of.
  3. VT's big on regional games. P5 matchups include Maryland and WVU. non-P5 matchups against ODU and ECU annually (Liberty, VMI rotate in like every 4 years per some state-government requirement). Beyond that, we seem to be filling up the schedule with B1G teams.
  4. Tech fans travel well -- it would be a fun weekend in Boulder. The CU fans who made the trip to Blacksburg would also have a blast, I promise.
  5. "mountain school"?!?!?! I guess I used to say that too, but that's before I moved to Colorado and really learned what real mountains are.
  6. I would hate this matchup. But, on a positive note for the rest of Allbuffs, this being scheduled would probably get me off the board, or at least posting much less frequently.

After those two series, the schedule is looking bland. North Dakota State, Kansas State, Northwestern, and Georgia Tech.
Yes I agree that those aren't nearly as attractive as the other matchups but I am perfectly okay with playing GTech and Northwestern in one season and Northwestern and K State in the next as I explained earlier. By themselves those aren't very attractive OOC games but when you play two P5 teams in the OOC I think that is fine.

The biggest issue I have right now is the 2023 schedule including CSU when it should include an FCS team, and the 2024 schedule including CSU when it should be another mid tier P5 team.

It sounds like you're advocating for 2 of our 3 non conference games to be played in TX. No thanks.

This may come off as hopelessly naive and I'm sure I'll catch a lot of **** for it, but I want The University of Colorado to maintain its identity as a Rocky Mountain proud school. A part of that is recognizing regional games and not pandering to the wave or demographic shift.

The current trend is CU is a safety school for rich kids from CA, TX, and the Northeast. It's not, it is a top flight university sitting at the heart of the Rocky Mountains in one of the most beautiful and scenic regions in the country. I'm not ready to sell that out to chase money or recruits down in TX or over in CA. For some people that western identity is important to maintain, and not "stupid" at all.

You really care about which FCS opponents we play? Outside of doing UNC a solid by scheduling them, these are supposed to be body bag games.
given the attendance problems at Folsom, I think there's a financial advantage in getting, for example, UNC over UNH, that realizes as an extra few thousand tickets sold.

It sounds like you're advocating for 2 of our 3 non conference games to be played in TX. No thanks.

This may come off as hopelessly naive and I'm sure I'll catch a lot of **** for it, but I want The University of Colorado to maintain its identity as a Rocky Mountain proud school. A part of that is recognizing regional games and not pandering to the wave or demographic shift.

The current trend is CU is a safety school for rich kids from CA, TX, and the Northeast. It's not, it is a top flight university sitting at the heart of the Rocky Mountains in one of the most beautiful and scenic regions in the country. I'm not ready to sell that out to chase money or recruits down in TX or over in CA. For some people that western identity is important to maintain, and not "stupid" at all.

It sounds like you do not really care much about winning football games. CU has to go where the players are. That is not selling out, it is just reality of P5 football.

Ideally, CU would be playing a game in Texas 4-5 times a decade.

B8h5C7oCUAAK18g.jpg

I hear that Texas State has an opening in 2022

It sounds like you do not really care much about winning football games. CU has to go where the players are. That is not selling out, it is just reality of P5 football.

Ideally, CU would be playing a game in Texas 4-5 times a decade.
Is Alabama suffering from scheduling Arkansas State or LA Lafayette this year? Would you say that your beloved Auburn cares about winning even though they scheduled Liberty, Alabama State, and Southern Miss this year?

Back