What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Sir Larry Scott.. (P12 considering buying out Larry Scott)

realignment and new deals are coming and scott is going. to get the big money, there will have to be playoffs and such.

there will be 4 super conferences of 16 teams each (plus ND and the service academies as indies and other g5 play in opportunities).

to get to the 4 super conferences (each with two 8 team divisions), the math looks like this:

pac 12 +4
sec 14 +2
ACC 14 +2
big10 14 +2

conveniently, the big 12 has 10 teams. they will be split up among the others to make the 4 super conferences. the tv deals will be massive.

the intense lobbying will be around where each of the b12 teams lands, but all will land in a super conference. and every school will make more $$$$.

the advisory committee and the scott rumors and all the rest are just a part of this bigger desired outcome.
LOL

this is a topic that I'm fascinated with and I note that you're speaking in certainties here, e.g. "there will be.." (vs. "I believe this will happen" or "indications suggest this is the trend"). assuming you're not over-stating your knowledge, would you please cite your sources?
That's all just the popular fan fiction that's been running around the internet for a full decade now

That's all just the popular fan fiction that's been running around the internet for a full decade now
If that's the case, then he should speak in hypotheticals and not in certainties.

I have noted the poster has not responded to my request to cite his sources, which supports your position.

The latest conference headquarters grenade blew up on Monday. Turns out, a month before Scott laid off or furloughed 94 of his 196 staff members he paid out approximately $4 million in bonuses. That included his own which is customarily paid in September. Jon Wilner of the San Jose Mercury News reported today that Scott moved that date up and collected an estimated $2.5 million bonus himself.

Legend Labs -- Scott’s trusted public relations consultant -- was aware, per multiple Pac-12 sources. It knew for days or maybe weeks that Quidel would provide the conference with rapid-results testing. But the ADs, coaches and athletes had to wait until Sept. 3 to learn? It explains why the campuses appeared so unprepared. Coaches felt especially jilted because in some cases they’d sent players home. But Scott wanted to break the “game-changing news” himself.

I'd like to know if any of the university presidents or chancellors, or anybody, would take the initiative to look into Larry Scott and his mismanagement of the Pac-12 conference and the financials. Are there directors that have oversight over Larry? Is there a board of governors? It's taking journalists to raise the issues and awareness.

Edit: Yes this has been posted and discussed: https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08...ce-structure-seek-advisor-for-media-strategy/

Last edited:
It is astonishing how Larry Scott has run the show. At first, I will admit, I was pretty excited to see him at the helm. I thought the idea of setting up your own network was a good one. But when no one could get the P12 Network and it was lessening exposure, I could not, for the life of me, understand his bull headed approach to that problem. It now all makes sense, he apparently has a gargantuan ego and is prepared to bleed every nickel out of the conference for his own benefit...and isn't the least bit shy about it. "Why yes, I believe I will take my $2.5 million, oh and can we go ahead and can half the staff?" Why not just call the P12 the "Let them eat cake" conference.

The sooner somebody else takes over the better, all of the above my humble opinion.

Not really understanding how RG is the answer as conference commissioner, but maybe you guys can make a case.

Not really understanding how RG is the answer as conference commissioner, but maybe you guys can make a case.
Start with the obvious: he’s not Larry Scott.
I think the work he did with the Rangers and his experience in College Athletics helps as well. He is well connected and very well respected. He is pretty good at building consensus and getting everybody pulling in the same direction. He’s a solid leader.

Aside from those characteristics, I don’t know what would make him a solid conference commissioner.

Larry Scott ran the Women’s Tennis Association prior to becoming the Pac 10 Commish.

Kevin Warren bounced around as a lawyer, legal counsel for a few NFL teams and then COO of the Vikings.

Sankey has been w the SEC in some capacity forever and was commissioner of Southland conference prior.

Bowlsby was an AD at 3 different Universities before becoming the Big 12 commish

Swofford was UNC AD before becoming ACC commish

Rick George seems to have a resume that qualifies, although, I’m not sure that’s really your point

Isn’t directv dying a slow death at this point? Not defending the moves that kept us off that platform for years but the future of tv is not in satellite dishes IMO.

yes.

AT&T and the NFL have missed deadlines to opt out of their current deal for DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket and will keep the live games package exclusively on the satellite TV carrier through the 2020-21 pro football season, The Athleticreports (behind the site's paywall).

AT&T and the National Football League are widely known to be at an impasse to extend their eight-year, $12 billion deal for Sunday Ticket, which was signed in 2014. Each had the option of opting out of that deal before it expired. But the sports news site said both parties missed the deadline to press the eject button.

Certainly, the pricey NFL Sunday Ticket contract is coming up at an inopportune time for AT&T, which appears to be de-prioritizing the satellite TV company it paid $67.1 billion for just four years ago.

As MCN noted earlier this week, AT&T is no longer using the DirecTV brand for its emerging streaming ventures. And the one asset it did use the brand for, virtual pay TV service DirecTV Now, appears poised for marginalization.

With DirecTV losing more than 1 million linear satellite TV customers in 2018, speculation has begun to swirl that AT&T might sell the asset to Dish Network, which is watching its own satellite TV service decline at a similar rate.

With the NFL recouping $1.5 billion a year, an unnamed source The Athleticidentified as being affiliated with National Football League team ownership described the league as being in no hurry to opt out of the current arrangement.

“The NFL is going to be in a good position,” the league source told The Athletic. “I mean, I don’t mean that to sound obnoxious. But I mean, they’re gonna pay us a lot of money, or there are others with different business models lined up to pay us different money for different versions of it. . . . I think the NFL will be fine. I think AT&T is paralyzed.”

AT&T cant afford to keep NFLST. Once NFLST migrates off of DTV the allure for DTV will end and the death spiral will really get started.

My money would be on a proprietary stand alone NFL streaming app service thats run in partnership with someone like Amazon/AWS. TV will continue to become more and more fractured.

This means more than ever the Pac12 needs a partner like ESPN

Isn’t directv dying a slow death at this point? Not defending the moves that kept us off that platform for years but the future of tv is not in satellite dishes IMO.

All anyone cares about is the extra revenue but I get it I dumped dish last month tired of turning on the tv and figuring out which channels are missing this month because of disputes.

This is what leadership looks like, Larry, not what you did.

Southwest Airlines will try to cut pay as a last-ditch effort to avoid the first involuntary layoffs in its 49-year history. It wants to have givebacks in place by Jan. 1. CEO Gary Kelly won't receive a salary through the end of 2021 and 20% pay cuts for senior execs will continue next year.

This is what leadership looks like, Larry, not what you did.

Southwest Airlines will try to cut pay as a last-ditch effort to avoid the first involuntary layoffs in its 49-year history. It wants to have givebacks in place by Jan. 1. CEO Gary Kelly won't receive a salary through the end of 2021 and 20% pay cuts for senior execs will continue next year.

Larry and his cronies probably know they are in their last days on the job so why not cash in while they can?

Back