What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Some of you need to slow your roll (respect the players and coaches)

Also as I posted before.

Don't be at all surprised when at least of couple of the guys already on the roster but now with better coaching and more importantly surrounded by higher standards and expectations become significantly better football players than we thought they could be and probably better players than they thought they could be.

Given the right kind of support and opportunity there are always some people who will step up and exceed what even they believed they could be.

I "liked" @dio 's post. But don't think that "Allbuffs" need the preaching to. We've been supporting the team by our passion and enthusiasm the past years, even if it's 'constructive' criticism. Don't think there's gloating at the players going on, but we do deserve to be excited about RTD after all the down times. We've been frustrated because we knew we could and should be relevant again.

I love that we as a community can collectively agree that the hot take era of Denver Sports Talk Radio sucks a bag of 'd's for rehashing old content and arguing the best way to beat dead horses, but in the past three days every thread has degenerated into name calling and finger pointing over the degrees of 'we need to improve the roster' and 'we love and respect all men who have worn the B&G, except the ones we don't (reasons)' we all feel are acceptable.
It seems like it is okay to both be excited for lots of change, and still appreciate that current and former players endured years of sacrifice without much to show for it. I believe many of those moving on will have gotten over it and landed on their feet well before some of us have.

Now can we get back to the important work of harassing surveyors band of trolls and laughing at these terrified blue bloods?

I "liked" @dio 's post. But don't think that "Allbuffs" need the preaching to. We've been supporting the team by our passion and enthusiasm the past years, even if it's 'constructive' criticism. Don't think there's gloating at the players going on, but we do deserve to be excited about RTD after all the down times. We've been frustrated because we knew we could and should be relevant again.
I don't think his intent was to patronize.

Consider that he might have certain relationships he has developed, sees some of those young people in limbo and struggling a bit of having to say goodbye to friends/ community/ girlfriends, and just doesn't want the site he shepherds to be piling on with the nastiness he's seen (and they see) on social media.

That's all this is. I know I can walk and chew gum at the same time by being excited about a much-needed roster turnover and upgrade while also caring about the real people who will get hurt in that process.

I don't think his intent was to patronize.

Consider that he might have certain relationships he has developed, sees some of those young people in limbo and struggling a bit of having to say goodbye to friends/ community/ girlfriends, and just doesn't want the site he shepherds to be piling on with the nastiness he's seen (and they see) on social media.

That's all this is. I know I can walk and chew gum at the same time by being excited about a much-needed roster turnover and upgrade while also caring about the real people who will get hurt in that process.
Agreed. It is hard when you have these relationships. Kind of like watching your own child go through something difficult, everyone handles it differently. What I can unequivocally say, is that this is a symptom of the current "pain". No matter what happens with these kids and recruits, they will grow from this.

Don't tweet at recruits or players.

If you absolutely must because you have impulse control issues, then wish people well on the way in, or the way out.

Remember 96.4% of twitter posts are by bots, trolls, imposters, or poseurs.
Has anyone ever seen someone representing their school tweet at a recruit and thought “I’m glad they’re representing my school?”

Exactly.

082030D6-03E2-4EAA-A376-5E11894EA466.png

First off - I don't like some of the gloating I see regarding players getting pushed out of the program, or recruits losing their offer. We can both support the steps Coach Prime is taking to change the program, and also be grateful to the student-athletes who dedicated their time (and physical health) to CU. We have strict rules on this site regarding how we speak about existing players and recruits, and I think you all need to keep that front of mind. Treat them better.

Second - Lots of us have become drunk on excitement and hope. I would urge you to remember that so far, Coach Prime hasn't signed anyone. He can offer every 5* under the sun, but until they sign on the dotted line, it doesn't mean ****. Until they win football games, it doesn't mean ****. A little bit of skepticism might be good for us before things get much further out of control.

That is all.
Totally agree with your 1st point. It's embarassing/shameful how many here are throwing CU Buffs under the bus. Obviously some will have to go. But these kids are owed dignity at the least.

What struck me the 1st couple of days, was how similar this was to the conservative idol worship of trump. 'DS is our, and maybe God's, chosen leader, we love him, and If you don't praise DS, you should be attacked.
It's pretty funny

Totally agree with your 1st point. It's embarassing/shameful how many here are throwing CU Buffs under the bus. Obviously some will have to go. But these kids are owed dignity at the least.

What struck me the 1st couple of days, was how similar this was to the conservative idol worship of trump. 'DS is our, and maybe God's, chosen leader, we love him, and If you don't praise DS, you should be attacked.
It's pretty funny
****IN SHUT UP!!

I agree with @dio 's post, FWIW. I think it's possible to both be excited for a shift to a culture of accountability to achieve the highest possible levels of success (something that, as an observer, seems to have been lacking in the CU program for the last decade) while also recognizing that some kids/coaches are going to get left out and that sucks for them.

I have seen some posts that I would characterize as "gleeful" and bordering on mean spirited about certain recruits decommitting and coaches being let go. It's not those kids' fault that they aren't quite at the level that will be expected of CU athletes going forward. I wish them all success elsewhere.

It's pretty funny
DESTROY THE NON-BELIEVER

The word commitment seems to mean as much as #integrity does. How many kids "committed" before signing day just to go to some other school that was the new shiny thing? It's not only the kids, the whole thing stinks from conference presedents, the NCAA, University administrations, coaches on down. Everyone is acting in their own best interests, consequences be damned.
This. A verbal “commitment” is merely an assertion that a player presently intends to actually, legally “commit” at a future date. The term used is unfortunately ambiguous and is fairly meaningless. It doesn’t prevent other schools from continuing to recruit that player, that player can still take visits to other schools, and most importantly that player can simply change his mind at any point prior to signing the documents.

We need some better language along with some better rules.

This. A verbal “commitment” is merely an assertion that a player presently intends to actually, legally “commit” at a future date. The term used is unfortunately ambiguous and is fairly meaningless. It doesn’t prevent other schools from continuing to recruit that player, that player can still take visits to other schools, and most importantly that player can simply change his mind at any point prior to signing the documents.

We need some better language along with some better rules.
I actually think 'verbal commitment' is a fairly accurate term for the situation, and the meaning in recruiting is generally aligned with sales lexicon of a 'verbal win'.

The reality is that a large portion of the current roster needs to be replaced. This is not some kind of revelation. It’s perfectly OK to be happy when we see the coaching staff doing what needs to be done to improve the quality of the roster.
It mystifies me that so many "Buff fans" have no respect or concern for the current Buff players. I see a lot of hypocrites, who care only about their own needs and desires. The 'net has produced some really selfish folks.

DS truly dumped on the players at that meeting - and as he said, he was making a documentary, and that was part of it. Rather than a closed door meeting and extending some dignity, he put on a "prime-time" show for his cameramen.

I understand and join in the excitement about DS and our athletic future, but think those who throw current Buffs in the trash are truly losers.

Remember, just like trump, DS is not God. Get a grip on your hero worship.

I went through this as a basketball player at UNC when Tad first got there in the spring of 2006 (dating myself here I know). Its not fun, and its a lot harder at a school like that one than it would be here. A couple of takes-

1. We all had to see this coming. The talent here isn't up to snuff. Are there kids I'd like to see stay? Yes. The kids who have left will be fine. A kid like Fenske probably drops down a level. McCown is likely heading to VT last I saw. The commits Prime let go will get snapped up. We might not know anything until Friday. This is a normal part of any coaching change. If you asked Karl Dorrell about some of the attrition that has gone on here, I'm sure he'd feed you some bull**** about how they didn't fit his culture or whatever.
2. Let's talk about the coaches for a second. They know what they got into when they decided to pursue a career in this field. They're all paid through the end of 2023 for a reason. Sanford's getting a million and a half through the end of 2024. Dorrell probably can retire now. If you want to talk about how its not fair that they heard they weren't being retained from Prime or RG, sure. Here's the thing though-they had to know whatever shot they had to stay probably disappeared when we got housed at Oregon State or whatever game was right after Cal. Also hard for me to feel bad for a group of men who are collectively getting about $12 million from CU to go away. AFAIC, the whole we should feel bad for or respect the old staff is kind of a lame take. They'll be fine. If they were all smart, they should have started working on their resumes right after they got off the plane home from Arizona.
3. The kids who CP supposedly dumped on and want to move on likely have homes at the FCS/Group of 5 level if they want them. That's a dumb argument too. If you want to feel bad for athletes, feel bad for the kids at a place like UNC. They don't have the access to NIL that CU's athletes now do. Some of them also don't have full scholarships.

Last edited:
Food for thought: I have not seen a single coach (that isn’t directly connected to a commit) speak negatively about what Coach Prime said to the team. Maybe I missed it…but I think that says a lot.

The response to this among talented prospects has been positive

Every coach that I am aware of that has been successful with a massive turn around like what is needed here, has started out with a similar message, and weeding out process. GB did that when he came here, and that team was going to bowls if remember correctly.

It seems that a lot of the upsetness revolves around the fact that this event was broadcast publicly. At first, I understood that on some level, but then I started thinking about why. Is it because we are concerned about airing dirty laundry, or is it because we (as a society) have become uncomfortable with young people being held accountable in a public fashion?

honest questions. Simply trying to start a more productive discussion around this subject.

It mystifies me that so many "Buff fans" have no respect or concern for the current Buff players. I see a lot of hypocrites, who care only about their own needs and desires. The 'net has produced some really selfish folks.

DS truly dumped on the players at that meeting - and as he said, he was making a documentary, and that was part of it. Rather than a closed door meeting and extending some dignity, he put on a "prime-time" show for his cameramen.

I understand and join in the excitement about DS and our athletic future, but think those who throw current Buffs in the trash are truly losers.

Bull****. They had to hear what he said. This team went 1-11 last year. How many of the 11 losses were by two scores or less-one? You suck that badly and things are bound to be different the following year. If that scares these kids, they can move on.

Like I said in my first post with this thread-this is a normal part of coaching changes. If you asked Dorrell, I'm sure some of the kids he ran off "didn't fit his culture" in his mind.

This is a really naive take, and the Trump comparison is flat silly. Stop it.

Trump? Wut?
the hobbit bilbo GIF

I read the entirety of your message three times. I disagree with your assessment of how rampant disrespectful messages are on this page. I have an extensive ignore list, so I fully admit that can color my perception.
I don’t ignore anyone so my take is that there are posters who are demonstrably happy to see offers rescinded and players encouraged to transfer. But I can’t recall, at least, specific players being disparaged though I know there has been some of that.

I am truly sad for guys who have committed then have had their offers revoked. That sucks IMO. I think there is a misinterpretation of Prime’s address to current players. He did not tell them to transfer. At least that’s not my take. But he did imply they should think about it because he’s bringing in guys that are probably better.

As an ultra-competitive person, one who has played many sports, and currently coaches, I didn't see a "dumping".

I saw a person come in and challenge the status quo. Currently, right now is not good enough. Simple as that. Had it been, there would never have been a meeting on that day. If you, as a player at a P5 school, didn't take that as a challenge you want to rise up to, then perhaps you are at the wrong level. No disrespect to those that decide to leave. Perhaps their vision doesn't align with Coach Sanders, perhaps the work expected was not what they signed up for. It happens in life every day. However, they were not dumped on.

Again though, why is there such the feeling these young men (they are no longer kids) need coddled? Life is rough. Its not all peaches and berries. Sometimes the truth does hurt. Sometimes hearing it inspires greatness. Those that stay and rise will not be disappointed.

Maybe I'm just too old school.... dunno.

Back