What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Steve Sarkisian - former UW/USC HC/ Alabama OC (does CU have the balls to make this hire?)

I am of the opinion that the MSU opening would have been filled by someone else if Nick Saban was not headlining MSU’s search committee.

Saban’s influence and support for members of his coaching tree extends beyond Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama.

I believe it’s reasonable that Mel and Nick speak to each other. I suspect Nick Saban and Mel discussed the pros and cons involved with competing for championships in Colorado. This includes recruiting challenges, limitations that exist within the institution, and financial constraints resulting from Champaign Larry’s ham fisted management of Pac-12 media payouts.

Saban also obviously talks to Sark and could obviously share any insights he has gleaned from Mel.

If you were Rick George, and you just saw Saban pull Mel’s strings for MSU, why would you give Saban the privilege of jacking with CU again with Sark?

I would think Saban wants his protégés competing for natties at schools who can and do pay top dollar.

I just can’t get excited about Sark, even assuming his addictions are at bay. I just can’t trust Saban to steer Sark towards Boulder. I have my suspicions that Sark will be more loyal to Saban and SEC/B10 paychecks than to Rick George and the arms race losers over here in the Pac12.

Following the events of the last seven days, I have trust issues with Saban and his employees (both current and former) under the premise of once bit, twice shy.

When engaging Sark, my default assumption is that there is an agent somewhere using CU as vehicle to establish a market value that can be bettered by a school with deeper pockets.

It’s for this reason that I don’t trust Sark. And also Neuhesel makes me suspicious of retreads hitting a 3rd pac 12 school.

Maybe irrational, but that’s my problem with Sark

Everything I've heard was Mel was MSU possibly 4th choice and when they didn't get their top choices they panicked and rolled out the Brinks truck.

I am of the opinion that the MSU opening would have been filled by someone else if Nick Saban was not headlining MSU’s search committee.

Saban’s influence and support for members of his coaching tree extends beyond Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama.

I believe it’s reasonable that Mel and Nick speak to each other. I suspect Nick Saban and Mel discussed the pros and cons involved with competing for championships in Colorado. This includes recruiting challenges, limitations that exist within the institution, and financial constraints resulting from Champaign Larry’s ham fisted management of Pac-12 media payouts.

Saban also obviously talks to Sark and could obviously share any insights he has gleaned from Mel.

If you were Rick George, and you just saw Saban pull Mel’s strings for MSU, why would you give Saban the privilege of jacking with CU again with Sark?

I would think Saban wants his protégés competing for natties at schools who can and do pay top dollar.

I just can’t get excited about Sark, even assuming his addictions are at bay. I just can’t trust Saban to steer Sark towards Boulder. I have my suspicions that Sark will be more loyal to Saban and SEC/B10 paychecks than to Rick George and the arms race losers over here in the Pac12.

Following the events of the last seven days, I have trust issues with Saban and his employees (both current and former) under the premise of once bit, twice shy.

When engaging Sark, my default assumption is that there is an agent somewhere using CU as vehicle to establish a market value that can be bettered by a school with deeper pockets.

It’s for this reason that I don’t trust Sark. And also Neuhesel makes me suspicious of retreads hitting a 3rd pac 12 school.

You're being irrational and here's why-the one thing that I think we can say with RG is he learns from his mistakes. After we settled with Mike MacIntyre, he put language into Mel Tucker's contract to avoid that type of thing had Melvin flopped here. You better believe that whoever takes this job will have the same buyout if they leave that they do if they get canned. Saban can tell Sark whatever the **** he wants-RG will ensure this football program is better protected to handle this next time than it was last week after the midnight ride of Melvin Tucker.

Had another thought here. I tweeted something about believing Sark would have us recruiting SoCal like we haven't seen at CU in 20 years.

I believe that strongly.

To add to this, though, I think that it also capitalizes on the opportunity we've been talking about with USC in turmoil and UCLA led by a guy who isn't the most passionate or charismatic recruiter. It's a big damn opportunity for CU.

You're being irrational and here's why-the one thing that I think we can say with RG is he learns from his mistakes. After we settled with Mike MacIntyre, he put language into Mel Tucker's contract to avoid that type of thing had Melvin flopped here. You better believe that whoever takes this job will have the same buyout if they leave that they do if they get canned. Saban can tell Sark whatever the **** he wants-RG will ensure this football program is better protected to handle this next time than it was last week after the midnight ride of Melvin Tucker.

You are talking about contract language. I’m talking about loyalty.

Whose advice and guidance does Sark treasure more? Saban or George?

What would George have over Saban except for negotiated contract language and all the resources at his disposal that is available from the 7th best team in the 5th best conference?

Maybe Sark wants to run a program back in the Pac. He is familiar with it. He has the connections. He has the relationships and as @Buffnik has said, he would recruit the hell out of Cali. This would be an opportune time to be the one team that goes in to SoCal and cleans up. USC is not going to right the ship and Chip has been questionable at best at UCLA. Outside of Wilcox, a clean an sober Sark is a pretty damn good option

Had another thought here. I tweeted something about believing Sark would have us recruiting SoCal like we haven't seen at CU in 20 years.

I believe that strongly.

To add to this, though, I think that it also capitalizes on the opportunity we've been talking about with USC in turmoil and UCLA led by a guy who isn't the most passionate or charismatic recruiter. It's a big damn opportunity for CU.

That's a good point, we could crush CA recruiting like we have not done so in a long long time.

Plus if people are worried about coaches that leave, based on what serenitybuff thinks of Sark, safe to say USC won't be stealing him back from us anytime soon :cool:

That's a good point, we could crush CA recruiting like we have not done so in a long long time.

Plus if people are worried about coaches that leave, based on what serenitybuff thinks of Sark, safe to say USC won't be stealing him back from us anytime soon :cool:
Another point in Sark's favor: we want to develop a rivalry with USC and they really hate him now. It's kind of juicy to think about.

Put it in his contract that he has to have a CU employee verify that he takes Antabuse everyday.

If he signs off on that, then you know he wants back in the big chair again.

(Non-serious post.)

(No, really.)

(Okay, 50% serious.)

(But it'd be a good idea, right?)

You are talking about contract language. I’m talking about loyalty.

Whose advice and guidance does Sark treasure more? Saban or George?

What would George have over Saban except for negotiated contract language and all the resources at his disposal that is available from the 7th best team in the 5th best conference?

Because contract language is what matters. If Melvin's buyout was $8-10 million, he's probably still the head coach here. After the Embree experiment-I don't give a rat's ass about loyalty. If you do, you should be fine with promoting Chiaverini and moving forward. I think we've got time to interview candidates RG perceives as better-including McElwain (I don't give a rat's ass about his CSU stint-the only two things I care about with him are these: 1) What's he willing to change about his offense to avoid him putting out one that was anemic as we saw at UF? 2) What happened that led to him getting canned at Florida?).

Very high risk but very high reward hire-I think I'd take the gamble if I'm RG. If he does relapse and blow up, will the BOR even allow CU to have a football team anymore?

RG is the most powerful man on campus right IMO. If he wants to go this way, the BOR will play ball. No concern whatsoever for me.

giphy.gif

Saban illuminati confirmed.

FWIW Saban said he doesn’t like “his guys getting poached” on the HBO documentary with Belicheat.

Because contract language is what matters. If Melvin's buyout was $8-10 million, he's probably still the head coach here. After the Embree experiment-I don't give a rat's ass about loyalty. If you do, you should be fine with promoting Chiaverini and moving forward. I think we've got time to interview candidates RG perceives as better-including McElwain (I don't give a rat's ass about his CSU stint-the only two things I care about with him are these: 1) What's he willing to change about his offense to avoid him putting out one that was anemic as we saw at UF? 2) What happened that led to him getting canned at Florida?).

Speculation. If CU insisted that Melvin sign a contract with an $8-$10M buyout in yr 2, maybe he doesn’t sign in the first place.

I assert that Mel would still be coaching at CU’s if MSU’s AD did not invite Nick Saban to advise the Sparty search committee. Prove me wrong.

Coaching is a small world, and relationships matter a lot. Without relationships, there is no contract. The better the network, the bigger the money.

If Wilcox isn't a possibility this is probably the best hire.

Promote DC to O-Coordinator and assistant HC, but let Sark have primary play calling responsibility year 1. Year 2 increase DC's responsibility to include play calling and hope it goes well after a year of tutelage.

If things are going well after year 3 we could probably expect to have Sark poached, but we'd be in a pretty decent situation with an heir apparent coach and a few solid recruiting classes to fill out the roster.

If Wilcox isn't a possibility this is probably the best hire.

Promote DC to O-Coordinator and assistant HC, but let Sark have primary play calling responsibility year 1. Year 2 increase DC's responsibility to include play calling and hope it goes well after a year of tutelage.

If things are going well after year 3 we could probably expect to have Sark poached, but we'd be in a pretty decent situation with an heir apparent coach and a few solid recruiting classes to fill out the roster.
Sounds like a sound plan...proven coach with some baggage...keep DC as the coach in waiting....as OC under one of the best....I think CU is primed for another 2016 type of run if they can get some decent QB play...

I'm worried that we're in a sort of limbo. I don't really want Chev to be the permanent HC, but I'm also worried that he'll leave if we hire someone else. If we hire Sark, does Chev stay on? It's a tough position to put a new HC in, when you tell them that they have to keep on certain staff and obviously it's not a great position for Chev.

I'm worried that we're in a sort of limbo. I don't really want Chev to be the permanent HC, but I'm also worried that he'll leave if we hire someone else. If we hire Sark, does Chev stay on? It's a tough position to put a new HC in, when you tell them that they have to keep on certain staff and obviously it's not a great position for Chev.
At this time of year, the new guy will have to keep on a lot of guys anyways. There isn’t much available to hire.

I dont think it would be that hard to keep him, he has 2 WR at the combine and is a top recruiter. I think the question would be if you give him the title of OC. It may be in title only if Sark calls the plays?

I dont think it would be that hard to keep him, he has 2 WR at the combine and is a top recruiter. I think the question would be if you give him the title of OC. It may be in title only if Sark calls the plays?
Sark would have to be on board with this arrangement as well, under this scenario. It all depends on the HC, so while speculation is fun, it's worthless until we know who the new HC is.

Sark would have to be on board with this arrangement as well, under this scenario. It all depends on the HC, so while speculation is fun, it's worthless until we know who the new HC is.
Agree totally, my point was with Chev ability to recruit and coach, I think any coach that is hired would give him a consideration to stay on the staff.

Agree totally, my point was with Chev ability to recruit and coach, I think any coach that is hired would give him a consideration to stay on the staff.
They will have to do something to m keep this class together. I have seen nothing from Harris on what his intentions are. DC will be instrumental now with Kap leaving.

I love Chev and don't want him to leave.... but you can't really worry about assistant coaches too much in this situation. Just hire the best HC you can find and let the chips fall where they may. If Chev feels slighted and wants to leave, then that is his choice.

FWIW Saban said he doesn’t like “his guys getting poached” on the HBO documentary with Belicheat.

No one likes being prey. Much more rewarding to be a predator.

Last edited by a moderator:

I believe that strongly.

I do think getting someone with an LA focus for recruiting is big. Massive opportunity for CU to capitalize on that this year and maybe next. If we gain traction there for a couple of years it could be something CU could sustain.

Back