What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Support or Retort: "DJ Eliot = good hire."

Will Colorado's defense rank Top 5 in total D within the Pac-12 in 2017?

• Yes

Votes: 46 37.4%
  • No

Votes: 77 62.6%

• Total voters
Vids of DJ

DJ giving rundown of his bio. - sells producing NFL talent.

DJ in post game presser

DJ mic'd up in practice

TBD. Someone bump this halfway thru 2017 or at the end.

No doubt we'll have people bumping threads to show how right they were or how wrong someone else was based on how the defense performs in a given game. It's what we do. :ROFLMAO:

No doubt we'll have people bumping threads to show how right they were or how wrong someone else was based on how the defense performs in a given game. It's what we do. :ROFLMAO:

Like the election, people are dogmatic and favor a certain narrative.

Hoping for the best. In MacIntyre and George I trust.

Early thoughts on DJ Eliot and recruiting? Was hoping to see more elite DE etc prospects for 18 in the mix. I know it's early, but just curious what thoughts are by those that follow closer than I

He will have his work cut out for him this year

After hiring Jim Leavitt which was a huge coup for the Buffs, it's not unreasonable to be not as impressed with DJ Eliot.

Two UK players got 100 tackles last season. One is Mike Edwards who is a safety & was a sophmore last season. Jordan Jones was another sophmore who had 100 tackles last season at LB.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/athlon-sports-preseason-all-sec-2017/

Jones was named first team all SEC by Athlon Sports for this upcoming season. Edwards might be getting some votes as well. Perhaps Eliot recruited Jones given that he was the LBs coach as well?

UK also had five seniors who played defensive positions last season and only 11 seniors total. Seems like UK might be similar to last year's CU when it comes to the roster and should make a move up the SEC East standings this year...they might have a shot at double digit wins this season & they have Florida and Tennessee at home this season. I don't think Eliot has to worry about starting as many sophmores this season as he did last season in Lexington.

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2017/1/14/14253980/kentucky-wildcats-football-stoops-troops-are-rise

"The offense should be the unit to excel even more so than it did in 2016. As Athlon points out, the defense is the unit where significant improvement needs to occur. While the defense did show some signs of life midway through the season, depth continued to be an issue, especially on the line."

Yeah it was interesting following SEC media days and listening to the podcasts previewing the SEC East. Bottom line was Kentucky returned basically everyone on defense this year and is expected to be a lot better than last year.

So it's possible DJ Elliot was in a no win situation last season as the DC for the Wildcats especially with that DL and youth. Now just look at what he has to work with at CU plus he will be facing that potent offense everyday in practice.

images

Looking for some opinions on the hiring of Kentucky's DJ Eliot as CU's new DC and linebackers coach. Are you happy with this? What're your preliminary thoughts on him?

I happen to think that he could be a good fit; he's had success with younger defensive players in his coaching career. Last season, the Wildcats' sophomore safety Mike Edwards led all SEC defensive backs with 93 tackles. Sophomore Jordan Jones became Kentucky's first player to record 100 tackles in a season in 2016.

Perhaps a more pointed question: with the many seniors that the Buffs lost on defense, is Eliot the guy who can help younger talent fill the holes? Anything you all are hesitant about in regards to him?

Keep in mind the players to go pro under Eliot: From 2013, two ILBs, three OLBs and two DEs have been drafted since Eliot took over the Wildcats' defense (most importantly, Mr. Bud Dupree, an OLD who was the first round pick by my beloved Steelers in 2015 and who will be sacking Tom Brady at least once on Sunday, mark my words hehe.)

Thoughts??
I like the early returns but also believe Macs eye as a talent evaluator is very good and any hire or recruit he brings in is deserving of the benefit of the doubt.

Top 5 sounds high given the youth. I'm guessing 6-7th in conference on D if the Dline plays as I suspect. But combined with a top 2-3 offense in conference and the Nov.11 against USC could be a special game for the lead in the South.

We gotta have guys step up period. I don't give a damn if it's some freshmen. Y'all know what comes with that though.

Hell whoever can pull their weight, I'm fine with it. Headley or whoever. Only thing I don't want is guys put out there before they're ready. I'd trust Mac to know that.

Not happening with a new DL and a lb core that is very thin and young. Add 3 new defensive coaches....not happening.

Score offense, score a lot.

The fall practices are going to be pretty important in developing depth across the defense.

The fall practices are going to be pretty important in developing depth across the defense.

I agree, as will getting reps first 3 games. Just very concerned about what has transpired at the LB position and the turnover with coaches.

Back