What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad Boyle

Don't forget to look at the NET rankings. That's what the tournament committee uses to put together the tournament.

CU is #7 - the other rankings will catch up over the next couple weeks.
If CU can make a strong run the second half of the PAC12 season and possibly win the league tourney, we should be a #2 seed based on NET?!?!?

If CU can make a strong run the second half of the PAC12 season and possibly win the league tourney, we should be a #2 seed based on NET?!?!?

I am not an NET/Brackology expert, but if I understand it correctly, we dont have enough high profile (road Q1 opportunities) to keep us as high as we are. So most likely, others will catch up with us in most scenarios.

Buf if we win out we would be 26-3.... I would say that is a solid 2 seed argument. Also, highly unlikely, we will drop a few, and probably have the #FireTad crowd fired up again, because you know, this isnt football.

I am not an NET/Brackology expert, but if I understand it correctly, we dont have enough high profile (road Q1 opportunities) to keep us as high as we are. So most likely, others will catch up with us in most scenarios.

Buf if we win out we would be 26-3.... I would say that is a solid 2 seed argument. Also, highly unlikely, we will drop a few, and probably have the #FireTad crowd fired up again, because you know, this isnt football.
Yes it will be hard to maintain that ranking, the lack of strength in our league doesn't help us.

And maybe without the crowds it will be a little easier but historically in the PAC winning on the road is tough. The formula has always been hold serve at home and how many road wins you get determines how high you end up in the conference standings.

We have a big advantage this year in having a veteran dominant PG in Kin and some veteran leadership with guys like Evan along with all the young talent.

I'm still not optimistic about the committee giving us much respect when it comes to seeding us in the bracket. Very important this year to win some games in the tourney to earn that respect for future seasons. Need to get ourselves at least to the sweet 16.

Do you ever feel like you put up a comment that changes the whole momentum for a team? I feel like I sat in the wrong chair while watching s game. You know, things that make no difference, but we are crazy enough as fans to think they do!

Do you ever feel like you put up a comment that changes the whole momentum for a team? I feel like I sat in the wrong chair while watching s game. You know, things that make no difference, but we are crazy enough as fans to think they do!

Interesting link Tad is the 61st highest paid coach in the country (probably lower) since schools like Stanford, Pitt, Penn State, and Xavier aren't in public record. It did seem slightly dated too with Danny Manning still listed on there. https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/mens-basketball/coach/

Not surprising UCLA and Mick Cronin being 3rd highest. What is surprising is Larry K and Utah at 14 for essentially two less NCAA tournament bids (he did make it to the sweet 16 one year) but for a lot more storied historically of a college hoops team than CU. He also has one more losing season than Tad and one less 20 win season than Tad. Sean Miller and Dana Altman in the 20's were expected. Tad making 800 k less than Mike Hopkins and Bobby Hurley and making less than Tinkle even though he way out coaches those guys. Really shows the value and how lucky we are to have Tad.

I'm 100% Tad backer, but the reality is Tad is a very nice guy and the players who come here tend to follow that, and be very nice guys themselves. We almost never get real 'tough guys' the ones who intimidate the opposition and instinctively go for the throat. It's a problem sometimes.

I'm 100% Tad backer, but the reality is Tad is a very nice guy and the players who come here tend to follow that, and be very nice guys themselves. We almost never get real 'tough guys' the ones who intimidate the opposition and instinctively go for the throat. It's a problem sometimes.
next year Trista DS will be our tough guy

This 1000%. Very little killer instinct, minus Dinwiddie, Booker.

Need to put this somewhere: Spencer and Andre are both Brooklyn Nets now - and with Harden on the team, hopefully they go a long way this year.
Andre is getting $1 million a year, Spencer $11.

Love Tad. But last years late season collapse needs to be noted. Then this years rotation is a concer.n. Walton has a great +/-, shooting 70 percent from the field and is still a bit of a rim protector and is never in the game at the end. Huge mistake in my mind.

When it comes to Tad, too many of you live in a vacuum. It's obvious you don't follow other teams or never visit other teams' boards. That's okay, but let me lay it on you - late season collapses, losing to lesser opponents, and curious lineup rotations are pretty commonplace. Get over it and move on. It's not just us.

Love Tad. But last years late season collapse needs to be noted. Then this years rotation is a concer.n. Walton has a great +/-, shooting 70 percent from the field and is still a bit of a rim protector and is never in the game at the end. Huge mistake in my mind.
At the end of the game you need passing (inbounding the ball, passing out of traps, passing in pressure), free throw shooting (to ice the game when a team is trying to come back), and rebounding to secure the ball on misses. Literally just free throw shooting would I be confident in Walton with. But also our whole team is shooting out of their minds FT wise. Walton isn't known for rebounding especially for his size and passing isn't a strength. So I'd rather not have him in at end of game actually.

When it comes to Tad, too many of you live in a vacuum. It's obvious you don't follow other teams or never visit other teams' boards. That's okay, but let me lay it on you - late season collapses, losing to lesser opponents, and curious lineup rotations are pretty commonplace. Get over it and move on. It's not just us.
👆

This. I happened to watch the end of Utah-Oregon and ASU-UCLA. Both were decided by Utah and ASU stepping on their dicks at the ends of the games--not by Oregon and UCLA making plays. This is how college games end more often than not.

Just to add some data to this argument...

Bad Losses by current top-10 teams:
Ohio St lost to Northwestern, who is 6-14 (2-13 in conference, outside of that win)
Houston lost to East Carolina, who is 8-8 (1-8 in conference, outside of that win)
Virginia lost to San Francisco, who is 10-11

Teams collapsing down the stretch:
Texas has lost 5 of their last 7. Had been ranked as high as #4.
Texas Tech has lost 4 of their last 7. Had been ranked as high as #10.
Rutgers has lost 8 of their last 12. Had been ranked as high as #11.
Minnesota has lost 8 of their last 11. Had been ranked as high as #17.

Put your 5 best players on the floor in end game situations. If you want to know who CU's best 5 players are, they're the five guys who lead the team in minutes. Maybe your 6th depending on situations. That 6th guy is a freshman who has been hurt the last couple weeks and has way lower minutes per game because he's still learning how to play without fouling (he's actually better than the 6th best guy on the team). Walton isn't one of your 6 best players. He's a terrible rim protector for his size by the way. Our best rim protector is a 6'3 guard.

Put your 5 best players on the floor in end game situations. If you want to know who CU's best 5 players are, they're the five guys who lead the team in minutes. Maybe your 6th depending on situations. That 6th guy is a freshman who has been hurt the last couple weeks and has way lower minutes per game because he's still learning how to play without fouling (he's actually better than the 6th best guy on the team). Walton isn't one of your 6 best players. He's a terrible rim protector for his size by the way. Our best rim protector is a 6'3 guard.
Minutes cannot be the pure judge, especially if the coach is not playing the best players by choice.

I think our Best 5 players are:

1. McKinley Wright
2. Jeriah Horne
3. Eli Parquet
4. Evan Battey
5. D'Shawn Schwartz

6. Jabari Walker
7. Tristan Da Silva
8. Dallas Walton

Minutes cannot be the pure judge, especially if the coach is not playing the best players by choice.

I think our Best 5 players are:

1. McKinley Wright
2. Jeriah Horne
3. Eli Parquet
4. Evan Battey
5. D'Shawn Schwartz

6. Jabari Walker
7. Tristan Da Silva
8. Dallas Walton
That’s your top 5 in minutes per game. I’m not going to quibble about the order of players 2-5, those are the guys that are on the floor. You play with 5 guys. Kin is way out in front for MPG though.

Jabari at his ceiling is the 2nd best player on this team though, he’s still figuring out how to play at that ceiling all the time though.

That’s your top 5 in minutes per game. I’m not going to quibble about the order of players 2-5, those are the guys that are on the floor. You play with 5 guys. Kin is way out in front for MPG though.

Jabari at his ceiling is the 2nd best player on this team though, he’s still figuring out how to play at that ceiling all the time though.
So, beyond worrying about the firepower of the second unit and my thoughts that Tad does not want to put a 1 year Grad Transfer ahead of 4-5 year guys, why is Tad currently liking the starting lineup that has Dallas and Evan together?

This is all too simplistic. Jeriah is a defensive liability. Which is why Tad subs him out for the other team's possessions at the end of games (when possible.)

This is all too simplistic. Jeriah is a defensive liability. Which is why Tad subs him out for the other team's possessions at the end of games (when possible.)
Understood that is the thought, and without Jabari, things are different, but Jeriah is strong in about 5 out of 6 categories, including Decision Making, Playmaking, Shooting, Passing, and Free Throws

So, beyond worrying about the firepower of the second unit and my thoughts that Tad does not want to put a 1 year Grad Transfer ahead of 4-5 year guys, why is Tad currently liking the starting lineup that has Dallas and Evan together?
Because starters are almost completely meaningless. 8 or 9, even 10, guys are gonna play in a normal rotation. Dallas is going to get minutes. Those minutes probably aren't going to come at the end of a competitive game.

I like to think I'm a stickler when it comes to defensive contribution, and feel like Horne is better than D'Shawn, or at least he plays harder on D while being more consistent on O (I'll keep a closer eye on that over the next two games)

Overall, I feel like the starting lineup is a bit off right now with Evan being in the middle of a rough performance patch / still dealing with his ankle tweak. Dallas gets lost at times but he is active and his length alone makes opponents second guess things around the hoop (even if he way underperforms in the BPG column)

It seems as Key has been the odd man out here as Tad focuses in on a 8 man rotation. Our bigs love getting in foul trouble so anyone 6'6'' and taller will get extra minutes out of necessity

The problem is that we do not necessarily match up super well against USC and any other really tall team. I get why Evan and Dallas play, especially with Jabari out, but it is painful to see when they are both on the floor and Evan pops out and gets the ball and is essentially in a passing role and he is frozen.
Dallas then does the same thing, so that is why when I see Horne come into the game, the offense is so much more balanced and threatening, and I also see Jeriah working plenty hard on Defense and can hold his own just fine relative to our competition. Defending Mobley is going to be tough!

While we're on this conversation about how Tad uses Dallas, we might also want to give him credit for going out a getting a big time 7 footer that will very likely do the things we wish Dallas could do.

While we're on this conversation about how Tad uses Dallas, we might also want to give him credit for going out a getting a big time 7 footer that will very likely do the things we wish Dallas could do.
I love everything that Dallas stands for and has done for this program, and the fact he is playing and contributing is awesome. No slight to him at all.
Agreed that Lovering is going to be a big-time player for this program, and our next few years are going to be fun to see. Tad better be ready to coach at a whole new level with these types of players, especially Jabari, Da Silva, Lovering, Allen, and others.

Back