What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

Give me examples of other schools who have those expectations in both sports.
I don't care about anyone else, I care about CU. If the goal for football and basketball programs is mediocrity then it has already failed.

Do you honestly believe that championships is NOT the goal for those programs?

I'm a little shocked at what I'm reading. By some of your standards, mediocrity is a practice and excellence should be shunned. SMH

Then each and every athletic department in the country has failed also.
"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it."

- Michael Jordan

I don't care about anyone else, I care about CU. If the goal for football and basketball programs is mediocrity then it has already failed.

Do you honestly believe that championships is NOT the goal for those programs?

I'm a little shocked at what I'm reading. By some of your standards, mediocrity is a practice and excellence should be shunned. SMH

You don't care about other programs... do you understand why I am asking the question?

The budgets required to compete in both sports at the highest levels are ridiculous. Generally, schools choose one or the other. That is not "accepting mediocrity," it is dealing in reality. National championship expectations in both sports is feel-good nonsense.

You don't care about other programs... do you understand why I am asking the question?

The budgets required to compete in both sports at the highest levels are ridiculous. Generally, schools choose one or the other. That is not "accepting mediocrity," it is dealing in reality. National championship expectations in both sports is feel-good nonsense.
And that's why I said it would be very difficult to achieve in Boulder. It starts at the very top. If mediocrity is accepted at ANY level along the way, that's what will be achieved. If mediocrity is a reality in Boulder, then change that reality. Otherwise, all the discussions and disagreements on this forum mean nothing.

Demand excellence.

Ripp's clearly the kind of guy who would fire the sales manager for Left Hand because they were still selling less beer than Budweiser.
No, but I would fire that person if their goal was to sell as many cases as they did last year and the year before.

And that's why I said it would be very difficult to achieve in Boulder. It starts at the very top. If mediocrity is accepted at ANY level along the way, that's what will be achieved. If mediocrity is a reality in Boulder, then change that reality. Otherwise, all the discussions and disagreements on this forum mean nothing.

Demand excellence.

It ain't just Boulder, dude. That's the whole damn point I am making. No school is rolling with your expectation. Not a single one.

It ain't just Boulder, dude. That's the whole damn point I am making.
Listen, I get it. Especially after reading some of the comments here. The problem runs all up and down the line, starting with Boulder. However, if mediocrity is acceptable to you or anyone else here, that's exactly what you'll get. And you'll like it.

Listen, I get it. Especially after reading some of the comments here. The problem runs all up and down the line, starting with Boulder. However, if mediocrity is acceptable to you or anyone else here, that's exactly what you'll get. And you'll like it.

There are all sorts of expectations between national championship contender and mediocrity.

Again, your "expectations" to be national championship caliber in both sports every year is nonsense. Just pie in the sky nonsense. No school in the entire country has those yearly expectations for both sports. Zero schools.

No, but I would fire that person if their goal was to sell as many cases as they did last year and the year before.
By that measure, you'd be putting Bill Belichick on the hot seat right now for going from winning a SB to losing a SB to looking like a 4-seed.

Sports ebbs and flows. There is no such thing as straight linear improvement from 1 season to the next in perpetuity.

By that measure, you'd be putting Bill Belichick on the hot seat right now for going from winning a SB to losing a SB to looking like a 4-seed.

Sports ebbs and flows. There is no such thing as straight linear improvement from 1 season to the next in perpetuity.
And you think Belichick's yearly goal is NOT to win a Super Bowl? Also, can you please post the year that Tad won a championship? Or perhaps you're talking apples to oranges here, no?

There are all sorts of expectations between national championship contender and mediocrity.

Again, your "expectations" to be national championship caliber in both sports every year is nonsense. Just pie in the sky nonsense. No school in the entire country has those yearly expectations for both sports. Zero schools.
Then CU has achieved it's desired success. I guess we should have never removed MM because things were going as expected.

Why do some of you argue back and forth about winning and losing? If mediocrity is the goal, who cares?

Unbelievable. Lol.

Here's what I don't think you do get.

The support our program gets means that mediocrity is over-performing the situation.

That is unacceptable.

But the solution is absolutely not to fire the coach who is over-performing the situation.

This solution is to fix the other stuff instead of thinking some miracle head coach is going to come in for low-end pay and make CU elite.

Then CU has achieved it's desired success. I guess we should have never removed MM because things were going as expected.
We funded the hell out of the football program, gave the coach a pay bump to top half of the conference, and funded the hell out of the assistant coaching pool with increased pay to market rate & multi-year contracts. After that, he had 2 straight losing seasons.

That's as it should be.

Give that sort of thing to the basketball programs and if Tad (and JR) isn't making the NCAA tourney all the time and usually advancing, then I'll say that we need a different coach.

There are many different yearly expectations between national championships and mediocrity. You just seem to want to argue the loftiest goals and expectations are synonymous. They are not remotely the same. And you refuse to acknowledge no school has the expectations for both schools you expect for CU. Not a single one. What are you not getting?

Have fun with the expectations which no one will take seriously. Have a nice night.

Here's what I don't think you do get.

The support our program gets means that mediocrity is over-performing the situation.

That is unacceptable.

But the solution is absolutely not to fire the coach who is over-performing the situation.

This solution is to fix the other stuff instead of thinking some miracle head coach is going to come in for low-end pay and make CU elite.
Perhaps, but it's also possible to get a coach in here that defies expectations of mediocrity and takes it to a new level of success. At which point, the "problem children" that hinder the success of these programs will eventually relent and begin to support them.

But hey, if you have any ideas on how to clean out the Boulder mentality, I'm all eyes.

There are many different yearly expectations between national championships and mediocrity. You just seem to want to argue the loftiest goals and expectations are synonymous. They are not remotely the same. And you refuse to acknowledge no school has the expectations for both schools you expect for CU. Not a single one. What are you not getting?

Have fun with the expectations which no one will take seriously. Have a nice night.
Championships should be the goal of EVERY athletic program. Period. If the goal is to sustain mediocrity then there's no point in arguing, you've already won that argument.

Championships should be the goal of EVERY athletic program. Period. If the goal is to sustain mediocrity then there's no point in arguing, you've already won that argument.

You are using goals and expectations interchangeably. You should probably stop.

You are using goals and expectations interchangeably. You should probably stop.
When you set goals, do you not expect to meet them? Setting a goal means you expect to meet said goal, no? Do you set goals expecting NOT to meet them? Wouldn't that be setting goals with the expectation of failure?

When you set goals, do you not expect to meet them? Setting a goal means you expect to meet said goal, no? Do you set goals expecting NOT to meet them?

Goals in AD speak are generally "best case scenario" situations. Expectations are baseline results which allows a coach to keep their job.

If Mel Tucker wins 8+ games a year for the next five years, but does not win the national championship, no AD in their right mind is firing him. But apparently, you would. How dumb/crazy does that sound?

Have fun with unrealistic expectations. Have a nice night.

Goals in AD speak are generally "best case scenario" situations. Expectations are baseline results which allows a coach to keep their job.

If Mel Tucker wins 8+ games a year for the next five years, but does not win the national championship, no AD in their right mind is firing him.
Ok, in terms of Tad, where is the improvement since 2011? What has he done to prove the program is improving? Looking at his record and recruiting since that time, please point to an upturn of success. Because, I don't see any, I see mediocrity at best.

Insanity. CU isn’t going to find a better coach than Tad Boyle.

We need to know our place in college basketball. This is our ceiling.
Are you sure about that? Knowing our place and having a set ceiling sound pretty damn bad to me. If that's the case, why even bother playing? Sorry, not trying to be a prick about it. It's just, that outlook, will go nowhere fast. Hopefully, they learned something today. SHOW THE **** UP, I don't give a rat's nasty ass who you play.

Are you sure about that? Knowing our place and having a set ceiling sound pretty damn bad to me. If that's the case, why even bother playing? Sorry, not trying to be a prick about it. It's just, that outlook, will go nowhere fast. Hopefully, they learned something today. SHOW THE **** UP, I don't give a rat's nasty ass who you play.
Until it is supported at a higher level, consistently getting to the post-season is what we should be thankful for. We will have some highs mixed in there.

Bring back Tom Apke! Is Joe Harrington available? Has anyone seen Tom Miller?

Holy ****. I’m pissed about today’s game but let’s not forget from whence we’ve come!
Sure, but is this the pinnacle of success for the CU basketball program? We good? Are we happy with mediocrity?

That's the question RG needs to ask everyone who he speaks to. Is this it? If so, we won't demand anything else other than mediocrity. If our ambitions are to be in the middle of the PAC-12 on a yearly basis, hoping to make the NIT, then we've arrived.

If not. If by some small chance there are some level-headed thinkers left in power in Boulder that control where this program leads, let's change attitude and course.

Just win baby. Just win. Or, just... whatever, it's all good. /toke

Sure, but is this the pinnacle of success for the CU basketball program? We good? Are we happy with mediocrity?

That's the question RG needs to ask everyone who he speaks to. Is this it? If so, we won't demand anything else other than mediocrity. If our ambitions are to be in the middle of the PAC-12 on a yearly basis, hoping to make the NIT, then we've arrived.

If not. If by some small chance there are some level-headed thinkers left in power in Boulder that control where this program leads, let's change attitude and course.

Congrats on posting the same thing 20 times in 2 hours. That's gotta be nearing record territory. Championship quality posting.

Ripp. This team is still really young. Relax. Unless you’re willing to go the Sean Miller/Dana Altman/Andy Enfield route, you have to be content with developing young, less touted players.

Back