What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Tad has to go

Calling for Tad's head at this point is just stupid. The guy made CU fun to watch and topped 20 Ws. I love Tad and would love to see him here for the foreseeable future.

Not many calling for his head but the Coach for Life thing is also premature. I understand that he is by far the most successful coach at CU in many decades but in recent years the program has not matched the success he had in his early years and has been in fact pretty mediocre.

It isn't unreasonable to say that we want him to stick around but that we also want him to make some changes and step up the expectations of results.

Next year will be a big one. We should reasonably expect a tourney qualifying team. If instead we again end up in the NIT (or worse) then his future at CU should be questioned.

If on the other hand he gets us advancing in the NCAA tourney and to a sweet 16 or two then considering the state of the program Coach for Life may be fair.

“Coach for life.” That’s an interesting term. Has any coach, anywhere, in any sport been deemed “Coach for life?” “Coach for life” is something that sort of evolves and isn’t some sudden declaration.

One day Tad will be in his late 60’s and still coaching the Buffs on a 2 year extension and we will realize, “Wow! Tad will retire after coaching the Buffs for 25 years!”

Not many calling for his head but the Coach for Life thing is also premature. I understand that he is by far the most successful coach at CU in many decades but in recent years the program has not matched the success he had in his early years and has been in fact pretty mediocre.

It isn't unreasonable to say that we want him to stick around but that we also want him to make some changes and step up the expectations of results.

Next year will be a big one. We should reasonably expect a tourney qualifying team. If instead we again end up in the NIT (or worse) then his future at CU should be questioned.

If on the other hand he gets us advancing in the NCAA tourney and to a sweet 16 or two then considering the state of the program Coach for Life may be fair.
Never said coach for life. Just for the foreseeable future. That was an exciting team, had a chance at the turny and made money. And it’s not like this team didn’t see it’s fair share of injuries and adversity. I like him for the future of the buffs. If we want to go spend money upgrading anything about that team it should be the facilities. Relatively speaking, ours are very subpar as many of you know.

It’s fun watching these former buffs in the NBA too

It is shocking that Tad hasn't gotten fed up, said **** it and left for another job. How many years of his career will he waste saying "we need the football team to get better so we have more resources."

And go where?

We all love Tad but no he isn't the hot candidate at the top of any coaching prospect list. How many tourney games has he won? How many ranked teams has he had (or even beaten?)

Certainly he could find another job but it isn't going to be with some school that puts big emphasis and money into basketball. He isn't getting the Kansas job, or UNC, or even UCLA.

There are problems here but leaving isn't going to make those problems go away for him.

And go where?

We all love Tad but no he isn't the hot candidate at the top of any coaching prospect list. How many tourney games has he won? How many ranked teams has he had (or even beaten?)

Certainly he could find another job but it isn't going to be with some school that puts big emphasis and money into basketball. He isn't getting the Kansas job, or UNC, or even UCLA.

There are problems here but leaving isn't going to make those problems go away for him.
There are plenty of programs that would like to have Tad, without the budget issues like CU.

“Coach for life.” That’s an interesting term. Has any coach, anywhere, in any sport been deemed “Coach for life?” “Coach for life” is something that sort of evolves and isn’t some sudden declaration.

One day Tad will be in his late 60’s and still coaching the Buffs on a 2 year extension and we will realize, “Wow! Tad will retire after coaching the Buffs for 25 years!”
Tony Sparano signed a "OL Coach for Life" contract with the Vikings. he just didn't know it at the time.

There are plenty of programs that would like to have Tad, without the budget issues like CU.

Respectfully, no.

Outside of the top level programs every program has limiting issues of one kind or another. Tad is in a good spot for him.

We may want to think otherwise but those programs that don't have the limitations are not looking to hire Tad Boyle. They are looking for a coach who if at a major conference program has been to the NCAA tournament multiple times in the past 3-4 years and who has tournaments wins in that time period. They are looking for a guy who has consistently beaten higher ranked opponents including on the road.

If we were talking looking at the end of the 2015-16 seasons when Tad had taken CU to the tourney 4 out of 5 years then he would have a lot more options but right now he is a guy with one tourney appearance (and a first round exit) in 5 years. No there are not "bigger, better" programs that are looking for a Tad Boyle.

If you want to face the truth, here it is. Northern Iowa took the ball out underneath our basket with a little over a minute left, the play they ran to get
that kid a shot was the first time they ran that, great coaching, great execution. What does Boyle do, call a time out and run the same "horns" play they had run 10 times before. Northern Iowa read it, doubled Wright, the kid jumped the passing lane and scored the layup. This is after Boyle called a time out to set something up.
Absolutely NO imagination. This loss is directly on Boyle and his staff. It might be time to let him go or find an assistant who can coach offense.

Secondly, the Buffs have only one guy (Wright) who can beat their guy off the dribble, draw help and kick it to an open guy. If the guy covering Wright can contain the penetration, what ensues is a lot of horizontal, side to side movement and then a contested three. I think the key here is to recruit 2 or 3 guys who can consistently beat their man off the dribble and surround them with good or great shooters who don't really have to be great athletes (Blair Wilson comes to mind)

He has had many seasons to figure this out. If Wright keep his initial decision to go to Dayton, how bad would we be this year?

This thread is as absurd today as it was when it first came out.

I’m pissed off too, but the fact remains that Tad Boyle is the best basketball coach CU has ever had. We don’t have the basketball pedigree that we have in football. We are at our ceiling, and that’s OK.

I just wrote and deleted a long post for this thread (very Mountainish). I will just stop short and this thread is crap and the positions of some regarding CU Bball are absolutely ridiculous. Is it fair to criticize Tad on coaching mistakes (last night during the final minute), sure. But to call for his head and say it is time to move on, you are nuts. I have been to games going back to the Joe Harrington and Tom Apke days. You have no idea what bad basketball looks like at CU. The modern era of hoops was pretty dismal outside of a couple years under Patton and now under Tad.

Throw your darts if you would like, but this program is in the best shape it has been in over the last 35 years (except a short 2 years with Billups).

I just wrote and deleted a long post for this thread (very Mountainish). I will just stop short and this thread is crap and the positions of some regarding CU Bball are absolutely ridiculous. Is it fair to criticize Tad on coaching mistakes (last night during the final minute), sure. But to call for his head and say it is time to move on, you are nuts. I have been to games going back to the Joe Harrington and Tom Apke days. You have no idea what bad basketball looks like at CU. The modern era of hoops was pretty dismal outside of a couple years under Patton and now under Tad.

Throw your darts if you would like, but this program is in the best shape it has been in over the last 35 years (except a short 2 years with Billups).
Yep. I used to go to games at Coors in the 90s to study-it was a refreshing break from the law library.

I don't disagree that the program is in better shape than under other coaches, but to say "This is the ceiling" is short-sighted.
If other mid-tier programs can recruit shooters, why can't we? It is the type AND mixture of players that Tad recruits that limits our success. Along with the inability to to coach them up on offense. Lets hope for a turn-around.

Jon Embree should have been CU coach for life! We shouldn't expect more than he could have possibly given us! Lots of other schools would have wanted Embree. He was the best we could have expected.

Tad can't recruit. Tad can't coach or develop players beyond focusing on defending and rebounding. JR Payne's staff knows more Xs and Os of this game than Tad.

Jon Embree should have been CU coach for life! We shouldn't expect more than he could have possibly given us! Lots of other schools would have wanted Embree. He was the best we could have expected.

Tad can't recruit. Tad can't coach or develop players beyond focusing on defending and rebounding. JR Payne's staff knows more Xs and Os of this game than Tad.
source.gif

This thread is as absurd today as it was when it first came out.

I’m pissed off too, but the fact remains that Tad Boyle is the best basketball coach CU has ever had. We don’t have the basketball pedigree that we have in football. We are at our ceiling, and that’s OK.

What a loser attitude.

I will just stop short and this thread is crap and the positions of some regarding CU Bball are absolutely ridiculous. I have been to games going back to the Joe Harrington and Tom Apke days. You have no idea what bad basketball looks like at CU.

I too agree that the positions taken on Tad are ridiculous. It seems there are weird polarizing takes on both sides. Some weirdos say he’s the best CU coach ever. That’s completely disrespectful to former Buffs who have competed in Final Fours, Sweet 16’s, National Championship games, and won the NIT when it was considered to be more prestigious than the NCAA. CU has a legit right to claim a National Championship in basketball and there are people saying that a coach with 1 round of 64 victory in a decade and 0 AP top 25 finishes is the best ever and that it’s a "fact."

There’s also trolls who take the position that he needs to go immediately after every loss. That doesn’t make sense right now for a variety of reasons. However, people of your generation love to point to the 70’s-80’s-early 90’s as if it’s more representative of the program than any other time period. It’s not and it’s not a reason to accept being average. Texas Tech, South Carolina, Auburn, and friggin Loyola Chicago have Final Four appearances in the past 3 years. CU competed in the first ever national championship game (1938 NIT). CU was the first program to compete in both the NIT and NCAA tournament in the same year. CU had elite teams in each decade from the 30’s through the end of the 60’s. It’s super weird to cherry pick the darkest decades as the reason for why people shouldn’t want more (e.g. 1 Sweet 16 and or an AP top 25 finish per decade). CU has re-established a solid foundation in basketball and Tad is a big part of that but it’s more than fair to say that we have probably already seen his ceiling.

If Tad fails to get a Sweet 16 or a top 25 finish with the 2017 recruiting class then it’s painfully clear that he has already peaked. 2012 was a top 25 class and Tad couldn’t get 1 NCAA tournament victory with them. It’s been a malaise ever since and it will be unlikely that Tad can maintain your beloved mediocrity in the 2020’s without a strong finish this year or the next.

Calling for Tad's head at this point is just stupid. The guy made CU fun to watch and topped 20 Ws. I love Tad and would love to see him here for the foreseeable future.

Ricardo Patton made CU fun to watch
Ricardo Patton topped 20+ wins
Ricardo Patton took CU to the NIT
Ricardo Patton took CU to the NCAA tournament
Ricardo Patton took CU as far in the NCAA tournament (2nd round) as Tad ever has

So why is it you wouldn't love to see Ricardo Patton in Boulder for the foreseeable future?

Ricardo Patton made CU fun to watch
Ricardo Patton topped 20+ wins
Ricardo Patton took CU to the NIT
Ricardo Patton took CU to the NCAA tournament
Ricardo Patton took CU as far in the NCAA tournament (2nd round) as Tad ever has

So why is it you wouldn't love to see Ricardo Patton in Boulder for the foreseeable future?

The highs with Patton weren't as high and the lows were lower.

I gave up my season tickets for men's basketball when Patton was coach because I didn't find his teams fun to watch.

Back