What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Takeaways from the game? Revised expectations?

I don't think my expectations have changed too much, I predicted we'd win this game. I didn't understand why Husker was ranked top 25 and why we were the underdog at home. However, how we won was huge. That first half sucked, luckily for the Onu forced fumble or it may have been 24-0, but then MT righted the ship at halftime and coming back to win has to be huge for the teams confidence. They played and coached like a team that wasn't content with just making it a close game, they wanted that W.

And, like others mentioned, the P12 looks more doable than previously thought.
-Stanford could be a win, although they have a way of getting better throughout the season and they really missed Costello last night.
-UCLA looks like a mess
-Zona sucks
-ASU who knows
-Wazzu hasn't played anyone with a pulse yet
-UW didn't look great
-Oregon will be tough
-USC looked a lot better than I thought they would
-I'm still not ruling out Utah either, their team is built like a team that is in every game, for good or bad.

I think we're going as far as Montez takes us. If first half Montez shows up often, we're going to struggle. If we get 2nd half Montez, 6-7 wins might be quite conservative. Hopefully yesterday was a launching point and he keeps this up for the rest of the year en route to turning those basic tools into being a high draft pick. I think the staff can help him by letting him air it out a bit more earlier in the game. He throws a really good deep ball and isn't so great in the mid range game. For a long stretch there our offense wasn't even trying anything beyond 5 yards down field. Granted, we got out of the shell in the 2nd half mostly dinking and dunking and letting guys make plays.

I didn't make a w/L prediction because I usually suck at guessing. Not gonna chime in on that front.

However, 1 observation; our rb's are running through arm tackles and seem to have much better balance. I'm not sure if Hagan has learned/taught new techniques, or there's a different focus from the OC, or if the off-season regimen had something to do with it. No matter what, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

I didn't make a w/L prediction because I usually suck at guessing. Not gonna chime in on that front.

However, 1 observation; our rb's are running through arm tackles and seem to have much better balance. I'm not sure if Hagan has learned/taught new techniques, or there's a different focus from the OC, or if the off-season regimen had something to do with it. No matter what, I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.
Tucker said something in the spring about the RBs needing to start finishing runs. It was definitely a point of emphasis.

Fontenot and Mangham are both Hagan recruits and Hagan has been a popular punching bag for his recruiting around here. I’m looking forward to people backing off the greatest Buff player of all time.

Tucker said something in the spring about the RBs needing to start finishing runs. It was definitely a point of emphasis.

Chisholm’s podcast mentioned installing RB drills that involve punching the ground in order to keep upright and extend the run.

New drinking game involves taking a swig each time Mangham and Fontenot place a paw on the ground while picking up yards.

Exhibit A vid

Chisholm’s podcast mentioned installing RB drills that involve punching the ground in order to keep upright and extend the run.

New drinking game involves taking a swig each time Mangham and Fontenot place a paw on the ground while picking up yards.

Exhibit A vid

Someone, maybe Montez, said after the CSU game that Fontenot had super good balance versus most RB’s. Fun to see a no name recruit become a legit P5 guy.

Everybody is being way too rational about this.
My win prediction went from 6 to 10, due to this game and what we’ve seen from the rest of the pac12. Especially the south, i think we’ll beat everybody but pootah

Fontenot and Mangham are both Hagan recruits and Hagan has been a popular punching bag for his recruiting around here. I’m looking forward to people backing off the greatest Buff player of all time.
Yes, happy to be wrong about his recruiting because Mangham and Fontenot have turned out to be a pretty good duo, not simply because he’s a GOAT Buff player.

Everybody is being way too rational about this.
My win prediction went from 6 to 10, due to this game and what we’ve seen from the rest of the pac12. Especially the south, i think we’ll beat everybody but pootah

Some monkeys that are on CU’s back.

Losing record at home vs UofA since joining conf. Just 1 win in 2011.
0-5 in Tempe against Sparky all time
0-9 vs UDub since 1999. Not a single win home or away since joining Pac12
0-13 all time versus Troy

The prospect of Tucker vanquishing these monkeys is quite exciting. From your lips to God’s ears.

Can't add too much to these points other than:

Offensive play calling needs to be better more quickly. I don't need to see wasted runs into the middle of the line when we get no yards (in very quarter) doing it. Boundary plays until the opposing teams modifies their defense. Then try testing the interior. And don't wait until halftime to make these adjustments, it isn't like we have every play before then scripted.

Montez needs to play the whole game like he did after halftime. He can be a difference maker......either way.

Defense looks like they are thinking instead of knowing their assignments, with confusion being a significant issue. This will get better with familiarity. We also need better athletes. That will be fixed with better recruiting and having recruits at the ****braska game had to help. Not knocking on who we have, they are our team, but FHCMM accepted average, and that doesn't work when you don't accept average.

Final record? 5-4 in conference for me with a punchers chance at 6-3. Better than I originally thought, and if these guys really start to believe, it can get better.
Those runs up the middle may not produce yards every time. But they serve a purpose. The fusker’s DLine was gassed. You have to pound the ball.

In both games this season, I've had an almost identical in-game emotional response (pissed at halftime, super pumped about the second half response). These Buffs do seem to have the essence of "team". That will continue to pay dividends going forward. I still believe the schedule gets tougher, though, so I'll stick with my 6-6 preseason prediction. I do feel more confident in that becoming realty now after yesterday's second half performance.

Those runs up the middle may not produce yards every time. But they serve a purpose. The fusker’s DLine was gassed. You have to pound the ball.
If memory serves, we had at halftime something like zero yards on 14 carries. Perimeter plays would have worn them out more than no yardage plays up the middle. Make them adjust to the perimeter game if the inside game isn’t working. Once their defense shifts, then attack the inside.

I think we will win the next three to go 5-0. Getting a win in the final 7 will be a struggle. UCLA is the worst of those but we play them on the road.

I just want to get to 6 wins. I felt like beating ‘braska was critical for our chances to win 6 and go to a bowl. USC looked really good. I don’t see us winning that one.

I think we will win the next three to go 5-0. Getting a win in the final 7 will be a struggle. UCLA is the worst of those but we play them on the road.

I just want to get to 6 wins. I felt like beating ‘braska was critical for our chances to win 6 and go to a bowl. USC looked really good. I don’t see us winning that one.

Same. I'm just happy to have 6 wins. 6 wins can give coach Tucker a tons to sell.

it is only 2 games against a pair of weak opponents, but i do feel like "tougher" team talk has been true. they are tough and they finish. now if we could just get the defense set correctly in the first half, we'd be a long way toward a solid football team. tough, well-conditioned teams who execute well can punch above their weight class. that was the GB formula after the "scandal" and it worked to an extent.

we have good to really good special teams and a very good to excellent offense depending on how much consistency we can see out of Montez.

i think the team can bowl. i think there isn't a team left on the schedule that, if things break a certain way, CU can't beat. i also think any team left on the schedule could beat the Buffs.

Back