What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Takeaways from the game? Revised expectations?

I will eat some crow because I've been down on Hagan, but simply having RBs and recruiting a couple guys doesn't cut it for a RB coach. He needs to be a recruiting force helping make up for other guys that have a lot more going on. We'll see how he does on that front, our CA recruiting is still non-existent and he's one of the guys we're counting on hauling in some good recruits in socal.

But I am quite pleasantly surprised and happy to be wrong about what we've got going at RB. I really like the Fontenot/Mangham combo and Hagan deserves all the credit for that.

Random thoughts.......and nothing you probably haven't already heard LOL

This game was a complete 180 from last year against Oregon State.

The slow starts are concerning but the halftime adjustments are great, plus the fact that the team plays hard for a full 60 minutes and doesn't lose their mojo. And they do indeed look like the stronger and more conditioned team late in the game. Defensive players being out of position has also been a big issue in the first half of both games but once again that gets corrected in the 2nd half. The big play aside, we only had 1 bad drive on defense in the 2nd half and that was the late one they had that put them up 31-24

Montez is great at times and very bad at other times, but as has been mentioned by @TSchekler (and probably others), this is what he is.

Fontenot and Mangham are a great duo in the backfield and I love Mangham's tough running style. And I only expect him to get better.

The receiving corps looks great so far but Viska nees to be featured more, his talent is too good not to use him more. Teams will eventually stop focusing on him with all the other weapons we have. And love the return of the TE to the offense.

It was mentioned by someone (maybe @Highlander ??) that we had a number of major setbacks yesterday but still managed to hang in there and pull off the big comeback. Running into the punter, Viska's fumble on the big return, the big play by NU after the flea-flicker, going down by 7 after we finally tied it up....

Did anyone point out how complacent Martinez seemd on the key sack in OT? Not to take anything away from Mustafa but I was shocked at the lack of awareness Martinez showed in that situation, given that a sack was the last thing he could take there aside from a turnover.

Easily one of the top 3 or 4 wins over them all time. 2001 of course, 1986, and 1990 where we dominated the 4th quarter in Lincoln. 1989 too.

I seem to recall that Fontenot was at least a middling 3* player with a few other options. I’m really liking what I’m seeing from the running game. NU has a solid front seven, and they got beaten down. By the end of the game, they just wanted to get on the bus. Huge props to the OL and Fontenot and Mangham. It’s got to be a little disheartening in the 4th quarter when Fontenot hits you for six yards and then Mangham comes in with fresh legs on the next play. It will be interesting to see if Smith or Broussard get many snaps this year. It appears that we’ve settled on the top two guys.

The Buffs have to get more, consistent pressure on opposing QBs. To me, that is the primary issue right now and without it it puts too much pressure on a secondary that can’t carry that load.
Agreed. The Buffs' defense doesn't work at this point without QB pressures. To be fair, they did sack Mobile Martinez like 7 times yesterday.

15-0 Until we aren’t. Who truly scares you until the playoffs? Not completely unserious with this comment

Legit prediction. 9-3 with a bowl game.

Some monkeys that are on CU’s back.

Losing record at home vs UofA since joining conf. Just 1 win in 2011.
0-5 in Tempe against Sparky all time
0-9 vs UDub since 1999. Not a single win home or away since joining Pac12
0-13 all time versus Troy

The prospect of Tucker vanquishing these monkeys is quite exciting. From your lips to God’s ears.

Respectfully, what does any of that have to do with this team? Those were all different teams with different coaches and different players.
What you’re stating is factually correct but I don’t see how it correlates with this team’s success.

15-0 Until we aren’t. Who truly scares you until the playoffs? Not completely unserious with this comment

Legit prediction. 9-3 with a bowl game.
Nine wins is really tough for me to see. USC looks like they may have found lightning in a bottle. Not unlike when Darnold stepped in. ORE has speed that kills which is particularly worrisome with CUs current defensive edge contain problems.

The Buffs just have to take care of business.

Nine wins is really tough for me to see. USC looks like they may have found lightning in a bottle. Not unlike when Darnold stepped in. ORE has speed that kills which is particularly worrisome with CUs current defensive edge contain problems.

The Buffs just have to take care of business.

The freshman QB for USC looked great. He also locked on to one receiver on every throw, he can be exploited.

Respectfully, what does any of that have to do with this team? Those were all different teams with different coaches and different players.
What you’re stating is factually correct but I don’t see how it correlates with this team’s success.

Quite simply, the act of getting rid of said monkeys would be quite the accomplishment.
It would forever be part of this team’s legacy should it come to pass.

The historical context in which this team exists is part of the legacy. Being part of the first team to beat USC is the kind of story every Buff on the team would be proud to carry with them, differentiating themselves from every Buff that has ever stepped on a football field before them. Respectfully, a proud legacy is what any of this has to do with this team.

Last edited by a moderator:
Random thoughts.......and nothing you probably haven't already heard LOL

This game was a complete 180 from last year against Oregon State.

The slow starts are concerning but the halftime adjustments are great, plus the fact that the team plays hard for a full 60 minutes and doesn't lose their mojo. And they do indeed look like the stronger and more conditioned team late in the game. Defensive players being out of position has also been a big issue in the first half of both games but once again that gets corrected in the 2nd half. The big play aside, we only had 1 bad drive on defense in the 2nd half and that was the late one they had that put them up 31-24

Montez is great at times and very bad at other times, but as has been mentioned by @TSchekler (and probably others), this is what he is.

Fontenot and Mangham are a great duo in the backfield and I love Mangham's tough running style. And I only expect him to get better.

The receiving corps looks great so far but Viska nees to be featured more, his talent is too good not to use him more. Teams will eventually stop focusing on him with all the other weapons we have. And love the return of the TE to the offense.

It was mentioned by someone (maybe @Highlander ??) that we had a number of major setbacks yesterday but still managed to hang in there and pull off the big comeback. Running into the punter, Viska's fumble on the big return, the big play by NU after the flea-flicker, going down by 7 after we finally tied it up....

Did anyone point out how complacent Martinez seemd on the key sack in OT? Not to take anything away from Mustafa but I was shocked at the lack of awareness Martinez showed in that situation, given that a sack was the last thing he could take there aside from a turnover.

Easily one of the top 3 or 4 wins over them all time. 2001 of course, 1986, and 1990 where we dominated the 4th quarter in Lincoln. 1989 too.

I think last year's gotta go up there too-We've been critical of FHCMM plenty, but Fusker inducted that piece of **** Tom Osborne into their HoF (that had been planned for a while) and debuted their current ***clown of a coach against us.........and we go out there and ruin their ****ing party.

Other than that, I agree with your entire post.

I would argue CU is about what we expected: Good offense, questionable but improving defense.

It's the rest of the schedule that has changed a bit:

About what we expected:
Zona still beatable

Jury still out:
Utah. Don't look great, don't look awful.
Wash state: Thanks for not losing to a FCS school yet this year.

Easier games:
ASU looks like trash. Glad we're getting them early
Stanford doesn't look like anything special
UCLA LOL
Washington doesn't look like a no hoper

Harder
USC looks like they might figure it out.
Oregon looks good.

I think our floor is we win:
AFA

2 of ASU, Zona, UCLA

1 of Stanford, Washington, Washington state, Utah

0 of Oregon, USC

6 win floor, baby!!!

I was just looking at the schedule and after watching the other teams, I think a bowl appearance comes down to either a win at ASU or a win against USC. If I'm picking between those two teams I think it's too hard to win in Tempe and we are overdue/it's a home game against USC.

Then again the sky is the limit this year if the Buffs continue to improve. I don't see a W at Oregon, Washington, or at Utah regardless.

Airforce Win
@ASU Loss (Swing Game)
UA Win
@UO Loss
@ WSU Loss
USC Win (Swing Game)
@ UCLA Win
Stanford Win
Washington Loss
@ Utah Loss

Special Teams
2 mistakes nearly cost the game -- penalty for running into the punter on Arias and fumbled kickoff return on Viska. Can't have that. Otherwise, punting and kicking were outstanding. Burying the Nubs in bad field position all day was the big key to that win that we probably haven't talked about enough.

Sitting in the stadium, right before that play, I said to my wife: "Great stop. Now I hope they don't do something stupid like try to block the punt." And sure enough . . . I wonder what the stats are on trying to block the punt, whether it is worth the risk of a roughing or running-into penalty for the possibility of better ball position. I think that unless you absolutely need the block to stay in the game, it is a total bonehead move.

I think we will win the next three to go 5-0. Getting a win in the final 7 will be a struggle. UCLA is the worst of those but we play them on the road.

I just want to get to 6 wins. I felt like beating ‘braska was critical for our chances to win 6 and go to a bowl. USC looked really good. I don’t see us winning that one.
The Trojans find a way to lay an egg or three each year under Helton. Typically CU has been a team they "get right" against. However, I believe if we continue to put out good tape that it is quite possible that the pressure will build for that game, and it will be a game where USC doesn't play its typical perfect game against us. SC will crater at least a couple games, would love to see it be in Boulder. If so maybe we can get Tad to do the post game handshake!

Sitting in the stadium, right before that play, I said to my wife: "Great stop. Now I hope they don't do something stupid like try to block the punt." And sure enough . . . I wonder what the stats are on trying to block the punt, whether it is worth the risk of a roughing or running-into penalty for the possibility of better ball position. I think that unless you absolutely need the block to stay in the game, it is a total bonehead move.
Meh, players can be coached to attempt a block and not run into the kicker. You have to run to a spot well in front of the punter. Arias erred, but I’m not gonna fret about an effort mistake.

Back