What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

I hate to say it, but the big winner in this year's carousel is going to be Sark. By staying another year at Bama his stock is going way up and there will be some jobs open that will be easier to win quickly and pay a **** ton more than CU.

I hate to say it, but the big winner in this year's carousel is going to be Sark. By staying another year at Bama his stock is going way up and there will be some jobs open that will be easier to win quickly and pay a **** ton more than CU.
People are starting to talk about him as a potential head coach in waiting type situation at Alabama. Crazy how much his stock has gone up so quickly.

Or stay at Bama and be HC some day?

Bowl eligibility does not exclude mediocrity.
Bowl eligibility (despite how hard CU makes it seem) is a pretty meaningless metric. Fitzgerald is a good coach who has a pretty mediocre record overall at Northwestern. Both can be true.

His record at that school is anything but mediocre - some data for comparison:

-Barney was 10 games under .500 at NU & had 2 winning seasons - and he was a god because he won a conference title (8 seasons, 2 winning, lost both bowls).

-Walker was 8 games under .500 in his time there and was also a god due to his conference title (like barney, also like barney only 2 winning seasons, also lost both bowl games).

-Northwestern had 6 winning seasons from 1964 to 2006

-Fitzgerald has 9 winning seasons since 2006.
He's 104-80 at a school with a historical win % around .400 with out him.
Has 9 of the schools 15 Bowl seasons.
Has 4 of the 5 bowl wins in school history.
Has 3 of their 5 10 win seasons.

PS - My father went to school there so it used to get talked about.

Feldman was on russillo’s podcast this week talking about the coaching carousel. Couple of highlights:
1) Herman has lost support from this within UT so he is probably a goner. He heard the AD really likes Franklin but he is a PA guy who has the support he feels is necessary at PSU.
2) he doesn’t believe fickell would go to Michigan just because of his ties to Ohio. Campbell is more likely there. Under the radar is the BC head coach but could be a little early for that.
3) sark is really comfortable where he is at AlabamaHe could have taken Mississippi state or colorado but it didn’t happen.
4) freeze to Tennessee seems likely.
5) as he has said a lot, Beamer has a lot of support at South Carolina

I do think sark is a much better fit in the pac 12 but having already went through the best job out west it would make sense it he stays in the SEC or goes to texas.

Michigan is the really tricky one. If they lose out on campbell it could be a disaster but that payday will be hard for him to turn down.

Feldman was on russillo’s podcast this week talking about the coaching carousel. Couple of highlights:
1) Herman has lost support from this within UT so he is probably a goner. He heard the AD really likes Franklin but he is a PA guy who has the support he feels is necessary at PSU.
2) he doesn’t believe fickell would go to Michigan just because of his ties to Ohio. Campbell is more likely there. Under the radar is the BC head coach but could be a little early for that.
3) sark is really comfortable where he is at AlabamaHe could have taken Mississippi state or colorado but it didn’t happen.
4) freeze to Tennessee seems likely.
5) as he has said a lot, Beamer has a lot of support at South Carolina

I do think sark is a much better fit in the pac 12 but having already went through the best job out west it would make sense it he stays in the SEC or goes to texas.

Michigan is the really tricky one. If they lose out on campbell it could be a disaster but that payday will be hard for him to turn down.
And Ryen doesn’t like PJ.

Campbell should push for the Texas job. It's the easiest to turn quickly and sustain, and if he can do what he has done in Ames, sky is the limit in Austin.

I can't imagine they won't make a serious run at Dabo when Saban steps down
I bet they do, but I'd stay if I was Dabo. Has all he needs at Clemson and being the coach after Saban will be a failure regardless of how successful they are.
Dabo is in much better shape staying at Clemson.

The pressure in following Saban will be impossible. Anything short of perfect every year won't be enough.

At Clemson he has the resources to get the talent he needs to win it all, he has a conference that sets up for him every year (good enough to be a P5, not good enough to provide a real threat.)

Wouldn't be surprised though if his name isn't connected to Bama though. The Clemson alums will freak out and give him the bank to stay, even if he was never really interested in leaving.

Campbell should push for the Texas job. It's the easiest to turn quickly and sustain, and if he can do what he has done in Ames, sky is the limit in Austin.
Texas is a tire fire behind the curtains. Always. I wouldn’t touch it.

The have a deeply ingrained culture problem. Once rot sets in that deep, it’s tough to get out.
Can you expound on this? It seemed like Texas had momentum going after the 10-4 season with Herman, and it should be easy to get top recruiting classes there.

What do you suspect is happening within the culture at the school or AD that is creating obstacles?

Their 18, 19 and 20 recruiting classes ranked 3, 3, 8 nationally, so talent shouldn't be a problem (Granted I know Bru McCoy left from the 18 class, but that's one guy). I think they can be a prime example of how elite recruiting can get you a little more than half way there, perhaps, but there has to be a lot more to it.

Their 18, 19 and 20 recruiting classes ranked 3, 3, 8 nationally, so talent shouldn't be a problem (Granted I know Bru McCoy left from the 18 class, but that's one guy). I think they can be a prime example of how elite recruiting can get you a little more than half way there, perhaps, but there has to be a lot more to it.
So is Herman just a bad coach?

I guess I am looking for someone to put specifics to the generalities that are being thrown around (rot, culture problem, talents not the problem, half way there...).

Call it a country club culture or a ladies night culture like we had a number of years ago. Guys are having a lot of fun and are not so focused on football.
By "guys" are you referring to coaches or players, both? I would think that if boosters and admins carried on this way it probably wouldn't affect on field results.

Back