What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2020 COVID Coaching Carousel

Recruiting isn’t a problem.
Money isn’t a problem.
Support isn’t a problem.
Facilities isn’t a problem.
They play in a mediocre at best conference, so competition isn’t a problem.

So what’s the problem? It’s baffling to me.

Boosters are way, way to involved. It happens when you let people write massive checks and give them assurances they can have a say so in your department.
Ok, thank you. I suspect this is what JR was hinting at.

So you believe there is significant influence by the boosters on roster and gamely decisions?

The have a deeply ingrained culture problem. Once rot sets in that deep, it’s tough to get out.
Can you expound on this? It seemed like Texas had momentum going after the 10-4 season with Herman, and it should be easy to get top recruiting classes there.

What do you suspect is happening within the culture at the school or AD that is creating obstacles?
Texas has all the money in the world, and that is where the problem comes from.

Texas has a number of big money donors, and when I say big money it is huge by the standards of most other schools.

The trouble is that for a long time that money has bought them access to the program. Some of them think they are one step removed from being Jerry Jones and that their opinion needs to be listened to.

The school does not want to get them upset and risk losing the money but it is very hard to run a program with multiple "bosses."

Any major college head coach recognizes that an important part of the job is managing relations with the alumni and especially the top end donors. At Texas that part of the job is even much larger than almost anywhere else.

These donor relations and some political pressures as well also influence how they have to deal with recruiting certain Texas kids and Texas high schools.

Football in Texas is a different culture than in most other parts of the country. High school and college football plays a much more important role in many peoples lives and priorities. If you are the Head Coach at Texas you get to deal with that, the good and the bad.

Yeah, I can’t imagine the fat cigars are allowed to call plays and sit in the meeting rooms. Maybe I’m wrong on that?

Ok, thank you. I suspect this is what JR was hinting at.

So you believe there is significant influence by the boosters on roster and gamely decisions?
I don't think any program has much influence from boosters on a day to day operations or game day operations.

More the country club feel that was stated above. They make promises to kids that most certainly makes them a problem with the team as they are most certainly not as committed. This has a long lasting effect throughout the program.

Lol of course the donors aren’t involved with on field decision making, come on guys.

End of the day, they’ve had Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. Strong has proven to be a mediocre coach in general and Herman hasn’t done a bad job by any means, but maybe he’s just a good but not great coach? He’s also at UT during a time when OU has been a top 3 team in the country with back to back Heisman winners.

In some ways, the OU-Texas dynamic is similar to the Ohio State-Michigan dynamic. In each instance, one school is hyper focused on winning championships while the other is more concerned with "the brand" and extraneous factors.
Interesting take.

I think recruiting is always seen as a plus for texas but even that can be a political nightmare, especially with A$M being in the SEC and Oklahoma doing so well recently. I think it leads to inflated rankings where the coaches know their recruit isn’t as good as he actually is but they still have to take him.

I can see losing games to OU. But it’s not like UT goes 11-1 every year. They’re losing to a lot of teams not named “Oklahoma”.

Can you expound on this? It seemed like Texas had momentum going after the 10-4 season with Herman, and it should be easy to get top recruiting classes there.

What do you suspect is happening within the culture at the school or AD that is creating obstacles?
Administration is molassss. Hard to get stuff done. Too many cooks in the kitchen.

And Ehlinger says coaching.

Plus culture.

Bad mix.

I hate to say it, but the big winner in this year's carousel is going to be Sark. By staying another year at Bama his stock is going way up and there will be some jobs open that will be easier to win quickly and pay a **** ton more than CU.
If he leaves for South Carolina and flops, we look better.

Okay, here we go.

Admittedly, I was late to the game this year. 2020 has, and continues to be weird. I just was not as up on the Carousel as usual, but I will saddle up and try to do a passable job of update and comment.

Open Jobs:

Utah State
- (h/t Duff) the carousel gets spinning with an 0-3 start leading to the dumping of Gary Anderson, well-traveled and now unemployed. Frank Maile (h/t DeNiro) interim.

South Carolina- Muschamp out (h/t CarolinaBuff and DeNiro). $13MM buyout for Muschamp. Ouch. Early names, Hugh Freeze, Billy Napier, Jamey Chadwell, Rhett Lashlee, Luke Fickell and possibly Shane Beamer.

Vandy- Derek Mason canned after 27-55 record over 6 or so years. (h/t serenity buff) Early names: Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Fisher (not bloody likely IMO), Will Healy, Clark Lea ND DC. (h/t DeNiro) MikMac mentioned by numerous posters here, and actually, probably a good candidate. If Vandy throws an anchor at the triple, Jeff Monken and the ever popular Ken Nuamitoatloloaoaitolaotu from Navy mentioned (h/t TSchek)

FIlled jobs:

S. Miss
-Jay Hopson out. Bret Bielema, his gut, money and hot wife considered but not named. Will Hall, Tulane OC gets the nod. (h/t TSchek)

Possibles:

Tennessee-
Pruitt on thin ice, Hugh Freeze? (h/t ahoelsken)

Michigan- Harbaugh cannot beat anybody. Getting pantsed by Melvin Huckster doesn't help.

Tejas- Herman not getting it done. Rumors Urban Meyer is being pursued.

Arizona- Sumlin may, or may not be on his way out.

fUCLA- Chipster, (see Sumlin above)

Clay Helton- Keeps coming back more the the Energizer Bunny

LSU- All the talent in the world but not showing. Ed Orgeron may be on the geaux.

Last edited:
Okay, here we go.

Admittedly, I was late to the game this year. 2020 has, and continues to be weird. I just was not as up on the Carousel as usual, but I will saddle up and try to do a passable job of update and comment.

Open Jobs:

Utah State- (h/t Duff) the carousel gets spinning with an 0-3 start leading to the dumping of Gary Anderson, well-traveled and now unemployed. Frank Maile (h/t DeNiro) interim.

South Carolina- Muschamp out (h/t CarolinaBuff and DeNiro). $13MM buyout for Muschamp. Ouch. Early names, Hugh Freeze, Billy Napier, Jamey Chadwell, Rhett Lashlee, Luke Fickell and possibly Shane Beamer.

Vandy- Derek Mason canned after 27-55 record over 6 or so years. (h/t serenity buff) Early names: Jamey Chadwell, Jeff Fisher (not bloody likely IMO), Will Healy, Clark Lea ND DC. (h/t DeNiro) MikMac mentioned by numerous posters here, and actually, probably a good candidate. If Vandy throws an anchor at the triple, Jeff Monken and the ever popular Ken Nuamitoatloloaoaitolaotu from Navy mentioned (h/t TSchek)

FIlled jobs:

S. Miss-Jay Hopson out. Bret Bielema, his gut, money and hot wife considered but not named. Will Hall, Tulane OC gets the nod. (h/t TSchek)

Possibles:

Tennessee- Pruitt on thin ice, Hugh Freeze? (h/t ahoelsken)

Michigan- Harbaugh cannot beat anybody. Getting pantsed by Melvin Huckster doesn't help.

LSU- All the talent in the world but not showing. Ed Orgeron may be on the geaux.
Dude, LSU is not firing Orgeron one year after the most fun season they've probably ever had.

Okay, here we go.

Open Jobs:

Utah State- (h/t Duff) the carousel gets spinning with an 0-3 start leading to the dumping of Gary Anderson, well-traveled and now unemployed. Frank Maile (h/t DeNiro) interim.

FIlled jobs:

S. Miss-Jay Hopson out. Bret Bielema, his gut, money and hot wife considered but not named. Will Hall, Tulane OC gets the nod. (h/t TSchek)

Possibles:

Tennessee- Pruitt on thin ice, Hugh Freeze? (h/t ahoelsken)

Yikes. Jen hot?

Nothing is better for thin ice than a huge freeze. Nice turn of phrase. Or will that save Pruitt’s job?

Lol of course the donors aren’t involved with on field decision making, come on guys.

End of the day, they’ve had Charlie Strong and Tom Herman. Strong has proven to be a mediocre coach in general and Herman hasn’t done a bad job by any means, but maybe he’s just a good but not great coach? He’s also at UT during a time when OU has been a top 3 team in the country with back to back Heisman winners.

I think Charlie Strong is a college version of Wade Phillips or Norv Turner. Some guys are better suited to be coordinators than HCs. Tom Herman's a really good coach/recruiter in my opinion. He's a little in over his head there-I think he's .500 against both Oklahoma State and TCU-and that ain't gonna get it done at Texas. If I'm South Carolina's AD and he's available, I'd take a look at him.

Observations on Texas-If they move on from Tom Herman, they're only doing it if they know they're getting Urban Meyer. I also don't think Matt Campbell would go there. I think he's pretty happy at Iowa State (dude's practically a god in Ames as it is), and I think when he does move on-he's going to a Big 10 blueblood (Michigan?). Mario Cristobal would flop there-he's had the same problem at Oregon (losses to teams he shouldn't lose to) that Herman has at Texas. I think PJ Fleck's act would wear very thin down there really quickly. If I'm their AD, the backup candidate to Urban has to be Kyle Whittingham in my opinion.

I think Charlie Strong is a college version of Wade Phillips or Norv Turner. Some guys are better suited to be coordinators than HCs. Tom Herman's a really good coach/recruiter in my opinion. He's a little in over his head there-I think he's .500 against both Oklahoma State and TCU-and that ain't gonna get it done at Texas. If I'm South Carolina's AD and he's available, I'd take a look at him.

Observations on Texas-If they move on from Tom Herman, they're only doing it if they know they're getting Urban Meyer. I also don't think Matt Campbell would go there. I think he's pretty happy at Iowa State (dude's practically a god in Ames as it is), and I think when he does move on-he's going to a Big 10 blueblood (Michigan?). Mario Cristobal would flop there-he's had the same problem at Oregon (losses to teams he shouldn't lose to) that Herman has at Texas. I think PJ Fleck's act would wear very thin down there really quickly. If I'm their AD, the backup candidate to Urban has to be Kyle Whittingham in my opinion.
I agree. I would add, whomever they select has to have a political mindset. That is why Mack Brown was so good there. The guy could be all things to all people. Can Urban do that? I don't know. The big cigars demand fealty. Keeping those bloated egos happy, coaching a team and regularly beating OU is a tall order.

Back