What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Ugh. Agreeing with 233…

sad GIF by Liz Huett

Add another contract blunder to RG's resume. The fact that the AD isn't even going to get a buyout is inexcusable. I realize that part of this on the Regents, but it still looks bad for the program.
I think the regents only meet once a month don’t they?

I think this probably was more So’oto not yet being under contract and being offered a similar or better position close to home than it was an issue with CU or KD. He probably told KD he was offered a position that would be better for his family and KD either misinterpreted or word smithed his response that he left for family reasons.

For anyone holding out hopes that HCKD has any chance to succeed, I think this is a nail in his coffin. Does he have any credibility left after making an announcement that is a clear fabrication? Unbelievable.
Did he have any credibility before this?

He was not only hired but given a sweetheart contract despite failing in his one prior head coaching job.

Since then his career trajectory left him as a WR coach for a below average NFL team. A position that was for almost anyone a career dead end, not a coordinator job, not a QB coach or even a passing game coordinator but a WR coach. At Dorrell's age a WR coach isn't going anywhere.

He hasn't had or built credibility since he's been here. His best players have left him, his recruiting has been far short of standards, he has failed to develop relationships with the high school coaches. He hasn't connected to the players emotionally and his relationship with the press is probably best represented by his shove of a cameraman after yet another loss on the field.

With all this does anyone think that lying about the reason an assistant coach is leaving is going to move the needle in terms of his employment status?

I don't see this as an RG issue. This is yet another indication of the complete lack of interest by those above RG in CU having a representative football program. No matter how bad it get they simply don't care.

I think the regents only meet once a month don’t they?
That seems like a lame excuse with all of the virtual meeting options we have today. He might have left even with a buyout in place, but at least the AD would have received something in return.

I hope both RG and Regents learned they need to speed up the contract process.

Well that's not a great look. Cal hasn't been all that much better than us recently. I guess they have lower recruiting standards, but not like he's going to a place with great administrative support.

I'm taking a step back before I go off the deep end again. Personally, I wasn't very impressed So'oto at the recruiting press conference. He didn't seem like he wanted to be there (Chance too imo). It was a weird juxtaposition with Patterson, McGeoghan, and Sanford all bringing a ton of energy. I get there are different personality types, but some enthusiasm would've been nice and repeating the word "violent" ten times isn't really it.

I also think we overvalued So'oto. We've wanted a Polynesian assistant coach with California ties for years and he was it. If I look at his track record objectively though, he's not an absolute homerun hire. That's not to say he's not qualified to be CU's DL coach, he most certainly is. As far as I can tell though, he's coached a fifth round, sixth round, and a ufa in his career, none of whom he actually recruited. USC, UO, UW, and UCLA all had open both DL and OLB coaching positions this offseason, So'oto was linked to none. That's not irreplaceable.

I think this probably was more So’oto not yet being under contract and being offered a similar or better position close to home than it was an issue with CU or KD. He probably told KD he was offered a position that would be better for his family and KD either misinterpreted or word smithed his response that he left for family reasons.
Deride me if you want!! I can take it!! :LOL:

Did he have any credibility before this?

He was not only hired but given a sweetheart contract despite failing in his one prior head coaching job.

Since then his career trajectory left him as a WR coach for a below average NFL team. A position that was for almost anyone a career dead end, not a coordinator job, not a QB coach or even a passing game coordinator but a WR coach. At Dorrell's age a WR coach isn't going anywhere.

He hasn't had or built credibility since he's been here. His best players have left him, his recruiting has been far short of standards, he has failed to develop relationships with the high school coaches. He hasn't connected to the players emotionally and his relationship with the press is probably best represented by his shove of a cameraman after yet another loss on the field.

With all this does anyone think that lying about the reason an assistant coach is leaving is going to move the needle in terms of his employment status?

I don't see this as an RG issue. This is yet another indication of the complete lack of interest by those above RG in CU having a representative football program. No matter how bad it get they simply don't care.
Preach it MtnBuff, preach it!

It seems we know how to get nice things "at times"... We just haven't figured out how to keep nice things. 1 step forward, 3 steps back.

Back