What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Was one of the leading candidates for the VT job

Are we seeing a trend toward job security?

I think at least somewhat. Just like we've seen some coordinators not chase HC jobs. The money has hit generational wealth levels even if you're not in one of the elite HC jobs. So why move if you're happy, secure & supported by your school?

I think at least somewhat. Just like we've seen some coordinators not chase HC jobs. The money has hit generational wealth levels even if you're not in one of the elite HC jobs. So why move if you're happy, secure & supported by your school?
Diminishing marginal returns really start to set in around 5 million apparently

Was one of the leading candidates for the VT job

As the board's Wake Forest fan (joined when Wake "stole" Bzdelik away and now live in Denver), this is not the least bit surprising, especially once Franklin got extended. Pen State was really the only job where I could have seen there being mutual interest. I know he was mentioned a lot for Virginia Tech, but that program doesn't really have any more resources than Wake does (believe it or not) so why leave? Because it is easier to get / keep kids in school? Not worth the risk of a job switch. My bigger concern has been hanging onto Ruggiero, the offensive coordinator, who makes $600k right now and is likely in line for offers twice that. And next biggest concern is upgrading the defensive staff.

As for Tucker... I think a few things can be simultaneously true: 1) This year's MSU team is much better than people expected. 2) Mel Tucker is definitely not a $9.5M a year coach. 3) MSU still might have made the right move with the extension, but it is definitely super high risk. 4) Tucker is a douchebag of highest order. 5) MSU would not be **** without KWIII, who left Wake because of playing time.

I think you're on to something here.

My feeling is that right now the premier jobs are ones where you can win a MNC, but you're not expected to.

A couple takes on the situations in the conference-

1. WSU-Wilner's right. They've gotta take the interim tag off Dickert. Not only that, but that's a hard place to win-and I'm not sure Jay Norvell (or insert some other MWC coach who might be open to making a move) takes that gig right now because of the glut of really good jobs available right now.
2. ASU-Wilner's talked repeatedly about them not being able to recruit because of LY's illegal stuff. Kind of think Herm announces he's going to retire after they beat Arizona tomorrow. Jay Norvell fits there because he was there under TG.
3. Washington-Holy **** what a mess. Could take them years to recover from this season, and they're look at two guys who I don't think fit. Harsin's not going up there IMO. I don't think he leaves Auburn after a year, and I don't think their AD (Jen Cohen?) is dumb enough to where she thinks she can go back to the Chris Petersen well after Lake. Wilcox? Weird fit there too. His Cal teams haven't been able to score like UW hasn't this year.

A couple takes on the situations in the conference-

1. WSU-Wilner's right. They've gotta take the interim tag off Dickert. Not only that, but that's a hard place to win-and I'm not sure Jay Norvell (or insert some other MWC coach who might be open to making a move) takes that gig right now because of the glut of really good jobs available right now.
2. ASU-Wilner's talked repeatedly about them not being able to recruit because of LY's illegal stuff. Kind of think Herm announces he's going to retire after they beat Arizona tomorrow. Jay Norvell fits there because he was there under TG.
3. Washington-Holy **** what a mess. Could take them years to recover from this season, and they're look at two guys who I don't think fit. Harsin's not going up there IMO. I don't think he leaves Auburn after a year, and I don't think their AD (Jen Cohen?) is dumb enough to where she thinks she can go back to the Chris Petersen well after Lake. Wilcox? Weird fit there too. His Cal teams haven't been able to score like UW hasn't this year.
Caleb Deboer at UDub?

Justin Wilcox is a good OC away from being a fantastic HC. Budget helps. Kyle W at Utah went thru about 7 last decade. Wilcox makes teams better.

There should be multiple moving trucks in Boulder right now if RG takes his football serious. Everyday later is a day to late. Fire some coaches dude.

KD needs to go, chev needs to go, Wilson needs to go, langsdorf needs to go... if these don't happen? LC needs to go, RG needs to go.
**** the money. I dont care how in debt CU is I am ready for winners to lead this program

Caleb Deboer at UDub?
That would be what I'd do. Either him or Norvell. Wilcox doesn't fit there because they can't hire a guy with a history of producing below average offenses. I've never thought Harsin would leave Auburn after a year-and he definitely won't if he beats Saban in his Iron Bowl debut.

Back