What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The 2021-2022 Coaching Carousel

Unfortunately for OU (and ND, among other programs), I think Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly told the country that those just aren't true tier 1 jobs anymore. I'm sure OU and ND could have matched the compensation that SC and LSU put together, but the only other programs in the country who can offer that kind of money AND theoretically bring in a top 5 recruiting class *without leaving the state* are USC, Texas, Florida, FSU and Miami, although I'd argue USC and Texas are the only programs who can truly "close the borders" when they are rolling. Georgia and LSU might be close.

OU fans are trying very hard to convince themselves that he is and that he would be the best option at any point. Given the coaching carousel this past week, Venebles seems like a major "settle for" at best.
That would be a lot of money for a guy who does not have the mental acumen to stay off the field during games without assistance. Does he need help crossing the street?

Unfortunately for OU (and ND, among other programs), I think Lincoln Riley and Brian Kelly told the country that those just aren't true tier 1 jobs anymore. I'm sure OU and ND could have matched the compensation that SC and LSU put together, but the only other programs in the country who can offer that kind of money AND theoretically bring in a top 5 recruiting class *without leaving the state* are USC, Texas, Florida, FSU and Miami, although I'd argue USC and Texas are the only programs who can truly "close the borders" when they are rolling. Georgia and LSU might be close.

Texas actually can't and OU is basically an in-state school anyway.

Texas actually can't and OU is basically an in-state school anyway.
Fair, but OU still has to compete with UT for Texas recruits. So maybe USC is the only program in the country who can truly own their back yard. I'm probably not giving enough love to Georgia, as they probably own GA recruiting, and there's probably enough talent there for top 5 classes too, but I don't know.

You guys are forgetting aTm.

I think aTm is a bigger in-state challenge for UT than UCLA is for USC. I also think OU is a bigger challenge in TX than Oregon is in CA.

For owning a major recruiting state, I think the best-positioned programs are LSU, USC, Georgia, Ohio State and Penn State.

If there's a guy who you know is a rock star and have that guy in-house, the bigger risk is hiring from outside because you're afraid to hire a young leader.

I was thinking Fickel but Freeman makes a whole lot of sense, like Riley did at OU following Stoops.

OU is supposedly looking at Venebles and Lanning. Brining in outsiders seems much risker to me than Freeman at ND. Venebles is an outsider to all the players in the program.

I was thinking Fickel but Freeman makes a whole lot of sense, like Riley did at OU following Stoops.

OU is supposedly looking at Venebles and Lanning. Brining in outsiders seems much risker to me than Freeman at ND. Venebles is an outsider to all the players in the program.

I don't really know why, but I think the bust probability with Venables is really high.

Back