What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The all-in-one Hawkins thread

Re: Send Your E-Mails NOW To Phil Di Stefano

Already did that this morning at 6:30 AM

Chancellor DiStefano,

This is the fist time that I have written to you with regards to the football program. I am a proud 2 time graduate of this great University and love it with all of my heart. You and I spoke under the tent in Austin this year about the curretn situation with the Buffs and how the results were not acceptable. The one thing we agreed upon was that there needed to be a change in what we had been seeing on the field with the football team. As you know, the football team is the cash cow for the athletic department. I hope basketball will get into the black so we can enjoy 2 revenue generating sports like many universities, but right now that just is not the case. Without the revenue football delivers to the athletic department, CU is a D2 school. We already compete in the minimum number of sports to be a D1 schools so any attrition in those numbers is not possible at this point. When you combine this with how little financial support the actual University provides to the Athletic department, especially when compared to other big time Universities, football becomes even more important. It is now at serious risk.
With all of this said, there just is not enough progress with the football team to entrust it to Coach Hawkins for another year. After 4 years we are taking steps backwards on the field with excuses about youth, the mess he was left with, and the tough environment at CU. Is the program's image better? Yes. Hawk has done a wonderful job in this area. It is too bad that you do not win conference and national championships on image alone. CU would be on top of that ranking. Are we young? Not any younger than many of the teams that are beating CU now. Teams with young players and 1st year coaches. Their programs are clean. Their progarms are young. They have academic requirements to gain entrance. They do not undersign every single class and end up with 70-75 scholarship athletes playing football.

It is possible to be clean, have second tier facilities, have academic expectations and win. It is happening all over the country. Look at Cincy, Stanford, Northwestern. First year coaches are having a feast with Dan and he is being outcoached every week. First year coaches at Iowa State and Toledo. Second year coaches as well such as Fairchild at CSU. The body of work put together by Coach Hawk is just not up to the standard for CU.

I have held my tickets and donated $3-5K to the University every year for more than 20 years. I know that is not the biggest number you all deal with from a doner stand point, but there are a lot more of people like me that give what they can rather than drop the big donations on CU. There are many of us that will not be coming back if a change is not made. I will stop donating and coming up from Highlands Ranch next year if Hawk comes back. I want to see a committment to the program and winning. That means a new coach. Bottom line. He has had enough time to prove that he is not the correct person for this job. I will be happy to increase my donations to the CU and have over time and will continue to do so if a change is made. If not, I am going to take a break until you, Mr, Bohn and Coach Hawkins are replaced.

Go Buffs!

These email "campaigns" are lame.

Put your money where your mouth is. Cut off funding. Don't go to the games.

5,000 empty seats are going to do a lot more than 10,000 emails.

Re: Paging Pissbomber ..... What Are You Hearing ?

I guarrantee that Bohn and DiStefano are on the same page on this. Mike's Hawaiian shirts reportedly are sweet too.

Re: Breaking News In Boulder

Yet guys like Rick Neuheisel get three shots at it though this will likely be his last at a BCS program.

John Robinson's second time around at USC wasn't as good as his first. Pete Carroll on the other hand two NFL gigs before going to USC.

I don't know enough about Vanderlinden to say one way or the other.

Yeah, some get other chances that don't deserve it. Seems like guys in the NFL get numerous chances, not so much in college.

Not as of yet. I can tell you that all of my external sources have begun to waiver as well. I can't for the life of me figure out what happened though. It was a done deal! Unless DiStefano over ruled Bohn...I can't see how this could have happened.

Straight up...I was told by source #1 that it was done. It was confirmed by #2 and #3. It want far enough that supposedly Hawk was told.

This is a cluster ***** at this point I guess. Either the PR machine is working overtime or someone wants Hawkins back.

And I'm scared again.

Ron Vanderlinden's bio:

1978 Bowling Green (GA)
1979-1980 Michigan (GA)
1981-1982 Ball State (OL)
1983–1991 Colorado (DA)
1992–1996 Northwestern (DC)
1997–2000 Maryland (HC)
2001–present Penn State (LB)

He was on the defensive staff (d-line and recruiting coordinator) under Coach Mac through the national championship season. Then at Northwestern, he was GB's Defensive Coordinator as they got that program turned around (2 Big 10 Championships). When GB came to CU, Vanderlinden went to Maryland as their Head Coach. 16-29 over 4 years, but did set the table for Ralph Friedgen who went . As the Penn State linebacker coach the past 9 seasons, he has developed 2 Bednarik Award winners (Paul Posluszny and Dan Conner) and Puz also won a Butkus award.

I did not follow Vanderlinden when he was at Maryland, so I do not know what transpired there. The one thing I do like is that he has trained under Mac and Joe Pa - so he has been trained by some very good coaches...

I know that he had a pretty good recruiting rep here and at Northwestern.

Looks like he is doing well recruiting at PSU. Recruiting Bio

Not as of yet. I can tell you that all of my external sources have begun to waiver as well. I can't for the life of me figure out what happened though. It was a done deal! Unless DiStefano over ruled Bohn...I can't see how this could have happened.

Straight up...I was told by source #1 that it was done. It was confirmed by #2 and #3. It want far enough that supposedly Hawk was told.

This is a cluster ***** at this point I guess. Either the PR machine is working overtime or someone wants Hawkins back.

Considered that #1, #2, and #3 are unreliable sources and you should PissBomb them?

I agree to a point, but this may well be CU sending out rumors to see what kind of backlash would happen if they did keep Hawkins, now is not the time for apathy. Send the e-mails, withhold money. Get the entire front row of the stadium to spell out Fire Hawkins.

I did not follow Vanderlinden when he was at Maryland, so I do not know what transpired there. The one thing I do like is that he has trained under Mac and Joe Pa - so he has been trained by some very good coaches...

I know that he had a pretty good recruiting rep here and at Northwestern.

Looks like he is doing well recruiting at PSU. Recruiting Bio

Yeah. He's a great recruiter.

I forgot to finish my earlier post that you quoted (got distracted with the baby). Here's the edit for the Maryland years:

16-29 over 4 years, but did set the table for Ralph Friedgen who went 10-2 (ACC Champ, BCS Bowl), 11-3, 10-3 his 1st 3 years. Finished each season ranked in the Top 20 and hasn't been there since. In fact, Friedgen's record is 35-37 since his 4th year with primarily his own guys.

It's hard to argue that VanderLinden didn't set them up very nicely for that little run. It gets pretty dicey trying to decide whether or not that would have happened if VanderLiden stayed there, but who knows.

What about Hankwitz as HC? I know he has never been one and he might just be one of those coordinator for life types, but what do you guys think of him as HC material? Maybe flip the idea around, Hankwitz as HC with VanderLinden as DC.

Why not do both?

I'm wondering if Hawkins was told if he wins Friday he stays...

I know this is the hundredth conjecture, but it would seem to make a little sense with all the confusion going on. He is coming out saying he expects to be back because he thinks we will win Friday. We'll see...

Sent mine, and my money will also do the talking too.

Re: Bohn To Announce Hawkins' Fate Tomorrow (Thursday)

Annnnnnd that's not good. Has a coach ever been the fired the day before the schools biggest rivalry game? I can't believe we're going to retain a guy that hasn't won a road game in 2 years or has like 4 total wins against our main competition.

scared.jpg

How could all of the experts on this board who are "in the know" be wrong? Fess up!

My guess is he is coming back. If that is so, we will be seeing our last game in Folsom this Friday. The U just does not want to compete in the sport anymore. I will be so mad, sad and frustrated if this happens.

This is not looking good... It would be a terrible mistake to keep Hawk. :sad1:

Need to hear from you now based on the Camera story. Please PB, let us hear some better news.

Back