What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Running Game - or lack thereof

I want to be very clear that I think Shedeur is an amazing QB, and the best Colorado Buffs throwing QB of all time, with likely the most accurate throwing ability I have seen. His accuracy and completion percentage allows him to rack up good yardage. His skillset is perfect for any successful offense and team, when paired with a balanced offense. I always go back to John Elway, and even Peyton Manning and their relationship with the Running Games during their Super Bowl Victories. Championship teams RUN the ball, period, end of story. Rewriting the physics of football just does not work, no matter how good SS is. Is running the ball Personnel, Execution, Play Design, Commitment, ???

1997 Broncos / 3,500 Passing Yards / 2,400 Rushing Yards
1998 Broncos / 3,600 Passing Yards / 2,500 Rushing Yards
2006 Colts / 4,300 Passing Yards / 1,762 Rushing Yards
2015 Broncos / 3,900 Passing Yards / 1,700 Rushing Yards
2023 Chiefs / 4,100 Passing Yards / 1,800 Rushing Yards
2023 Michigan Wolverines / 3,200 Passing / 2,500 Rushing Yards
2023 Colorado Buffs / 3,500 Passing / 828 Rushing Yards (12 Games)
2024 Colorado Buffs (12 Games Projected) / 4,000 Passing / 744 Rushing Yards

It's a rare talent that a NFL QB can change most/all/some of the plays at will, even more rare in CFB. If SS isn't able to get that a NFL team most likely wont let him do it, his pro career may be short lived. I wish he wasn't able to do that now, so I could decisively blame Shumur for the **** play calling I've seen in his past.

pretty sure he missed a big hole on one of them too.

If we don't rely a lot more on 11 personnel while our WR room is down a bunch of guys next week, even my doom induced calmness will be challenged
5-7 is written in the stars my friend

Soft schedule, strong talent, and decent coaching staff. All will be tossed off a cliff due to hubris and nepotism before they leave town.

Years later, a small cadre of older 35 year olds will continue to bicker about what could have been and why we didn’t achieve it. Assistant coaches will be blamed. Deion “Dan Hawkins” Sanders will come away scot free unlike his predecessor

Soft schedule, strong talent, and decent coaching staff. All will be tossed off a cliff due to hubris and nepotism before they leave town.

Years later, a small cadre of older 35 year olds will continue to bicker about what could have been and why we didn’t achieve it
Hey at least we get that one more win so we get to the traditional almost bowling spot

Years later, a small cadre of older 35 year olds will continue to bicker about what could have been and why we didn’t achieve it. Assistant coaches will be blamed. Deion “Dan Hawkins” Sanders will come away scot free unlike his predecessor
Why is it when I say this my account gets throttled? But what you state is 100% facts and nepotism, over everything, will spell doom for this team. I feel so bad for these kids, especially the way they've been playing this year. Coaching, especially on offense has been an embarrassment. But I'm sure ignoring the running game is an intentional act to pad stats for QB1. Sucks that people can't see the obvious in front of their faces. Instead, they watch like mouthbreathers as McChesney feeds them a big heeping cauldron of Kool-Aid.

I want to be very clear that I think Shedeur is an amazing QB, and the best Colorado Buffs throwing QB of all time, with likely the most accurate throwing ability I have seen. His accuracy and completion percentage allows him to rack up good yardage. His skillset is perfect for any successful offense and team, when paired with a balanced offense. I always go back to John Elway, and even Peyton Manning and their relationship with the Running Games during their Super Bowl Victories. Championship teams RUN the ball, period, end of story. Rewriting the physics of football just does not work, no matter how good SS is. Is running the ball Personnel, Execution, Play Design, Commitment, ???

1997 Broncos / 3,500 Passing Yards / 2,400 Rushing Yards
1998 Broncos / 3,600 Passing Yards / 2,500 Rushing Yards
2006 Colts / 4,300 Passing Yards / 1,762 Rushing Yards
2015 Broncos / 3,900 Passing Yards / 1,700 Rushing Yards
2023 Chiefs / 4,100 Passing Yards / 1,800 Rushing Yards
2023 Michigan Wolverines / 3,200 Passing / 2,500 Rushing Yards
2023 Colorado Buffs / 3,500 Passing / 828 Rushing Yards (12 Games)
2024 Colorado Buffs (12 Games Projected) / 4,000 Passing / 744 Rushing Yards

I think SS is amazing as well. Easily, CU's the best throwing QB ever, best QB ever. He will be a top-5 QB taken in the draft. Blown away by his stat line Sat, but it was a loss. He set some impressive CU records. I don't think he plays for that, but there were places where he should have either got rid of the ball or threw it away. If winning is foremost, at any position there have to be sacrifices on some plays and even some drives, where they play slower ball control. The difference I saw in SS comparing UCF to KSU was he seemed much more relaxed v. UCF, as if he did not feel that he had to do it all every play. It looked like the game was slower v. UCF, and the running game probably helps that, as does healthy WRs.

The thing about Elway is the three losing Superbowls in the 80's. Only the Giants SB game was somewhat close. The Broncos had some receivers, decent backs (Winder) and Dan Reeves shackled Elway until he let him loose in the 4thQ. They relied on a bland game plan, ball control, defense with a few Elway highlights sprinkled in, then the 4thQ. It took a ton of discipline/tongue biting for Elway to play in Reeves' offense as long as he did. Reeves and Elway clashed but they had a great run, just could not get over the top. With Shanny's arrival it allowed Elway to be a more efficient QB once they added Terrell Davis and other pieces (Shannon Sharpe, Zimmerman, FB--Griffith, etc...) then he went out on top with 2 rings. I'd say Elway was better QB, however Elway was beat up that late in his career and did not have the physical tools that he once did. Much more seasoned.

Elway was in the same class as Marino, who set all the sick passing records of that era, however he only got to the SB only once either his rookie or 2nd year. Marino was the best pure passer of that 83' QB draft class. They were very pass heavy with a ton of ESPN highlights, just could not put together complete games.

IMO, championship teams find the right combo or runnning/passing the ball, play great defense and above average special teams. Part of the O combo is being able to play some ball control to keep the D off the field when they need to.

I'm think the Buffs will win more games this season, maybe get to 8. We do need to get guys healthy (but that cannot be an excuse), find the O right mix (UCF was great with less pressure on SS to do everything), and move forward as a defense. BL is only 6 games into his D install, so I expect a few more wrinkles. The D had a horrific game pursuit and tackling, however KSU's rb, qb, and others were good/great. Arizona presents the defense both a challange and an opportunity, if the D steps up we will be back on track. Finally, we face a throwing QB and elite WR.

Last thing, the Buffs need to finding a way to ride the home crowd energy, and just crush teams at home. Cinci can be a game where we end it early, and get some guys needed rest.

Why is it when I say this my account gets throttled? But what you state is 100% facts and nepotism, over everything, will spell doom for this team. I feel so bad for these kids, especially the way they've been playing this year. Coaching, especially on offense has been an embarrassment. But I'm sure ignoring the running game is an intentional act to pad stats for QB1. Sucks that people can't see the obvious in front of their faces. Instead, they watch like mouthbreathers as McChesney feeds them a big heeping cauldron of Kool-Aid.
First, I’m funny and people like me

Second, **** you

Committing to full on air raid makes so much sense for the personnel and the strengths of this team. I mean, I know why they don't, but still. The run game could be very effective in that system. Oh well

Reactions: GRM
Committing to full on air raid makes so much sense for the personnel and the strengths of this team. I mean, I know why they don't, but still. The run game could be very effective in that system. Oh well
I wondered if that was the direction they were going when Lewis left. They seem to be hitting the portal for every WR in North America, but then Shurmer was hired as OC, by default, I believe. Shurmer doesn't strike me as Air raid...at all. Air raid would be interesting, but it demands the quick release of the FB by the QB, so after watching the first 6 games, I am not sure that would work here.

Why is it when I say this my account gets throttled? But what you state is 100% facts and nepotism, over everything, will spell doom for this team. I feel so bad for these kids, especially the way they've been playing this year. Coaching, especially on offense has been an embarrassment. But I'm sure ignoring the running game is an intentional act to pad stats for QB1. Sucks that people can't see the obvious in front of their faces. Instead, they watch like mouthbreathers as McChesney feeds them a big heepingFuc cauldron of Kool-Aid.
**** off. He was being funny and making fun of assholes like you.

Also, we're fans of this team. Your opinions are laced with agenda.

I like the thought, but it goes to defense. We are only in 2nd year of roster rebuild/turnover. Air Raid is good but if healthy this team scores fast and furious. I sort of like our Dline over last year, but we are 2-deep in the secondary at best. The O runs too many plays too fast. Plus, until proven otherwise I don't think we have an Air-Raid +RB with experience to pick up blitzes etc... Much less the older cohesive Oline w/ multiple games playing together.

Last edited:
I wondered if that was the direction they were going when Lewis left. They seem to be hitting the portal for every WR in North America, but then Shurmer was hired as OC, by default, I believe. Shurmer doesn't strike me as Air raid...at all. Air raid would be interesting, but it demands the quick release of the FB by the QB, so after watching the first 6 games, I am not sure that would work here.
It just seems like if you are going to be a pass first team, then go all in. They keep saying they want to run the ball, but they really don't, and we are at the point that the offense is what it is. Air Raid can be absolutely lethal if you commit to it and have personnel. They have the personnel and could be even more electric, but it is what it is.

It just seems like if you are going to be a pass first team, then go all in. They keep saying they want to run the ball, but they really don't, and we are at the point that the offense is what it is. Air Raid can be absolutely lethal if you commit to it and have personnel. They have the personnel and could be even more electric, but it is what it is.
You don't change scheme halfway through a season.

What drives me crazy is starting in 10 or 11 personnel on the first drive and then trying to run on 1st and/or 2nd down
If you want to run the ball, come out in super heavy formations, maybe even only 1 or 2 WR's and try and say to the other team that we are going to f-ing run this ball up your ass, and then adjust from there. Instead, we decide if we are going to run more or less off those first 2 runs.

I really didn't mind that we passed the entire second half on Saturday. It was effective.

And...

...this offense would be probably be more effective overall if (as someone pointed out) we used the pass to set up the run. Five or six guys in the box for the second half. You've got to take advantage of that.

Certainly not a definitive correlation (you're going to throw a lot more if you're losing), but I think it's highly suggestive that the winning formula for our Buffs is to commit to giving a reasonable number of carries to the RBs.
It seems so obvious, success running the ball always translates into team success. The Broncos pre-Terrell Davis, are a good example. HOF QB but really put it together as a team when they run the ball effectively.

I doubt there has ever been a top shelf QB who didn't believe he could let the team ride his arm to victory. Brett Favre was notorious for using his arm to thread a needle he believed he could but actually couldn't. Recognizing that fact doesn't mean anyone wants that player off the field, they want the mistakes corrected.

SS2 is the same way. He is an unbelievable talent, but the run game cannot be abandoned. With a run game, he will be even more dynamic. His numbers might go down stats wise, but the team will win more.

It is up to the coaching staff to direct that. Up until now that has been done very poorly. I like the Shurmer speech about running the ball, but we are now halfway through the season and one has to wonder why this is just coming up now. It was obvious from game one.

Reactions: GRM
I really didn't mind that we passed the entire second half on Saturday. It was effective.

And...

...this offense would be probably be more effective overall if (as someone pointed out) we used the pass to set up the run. Five or six guys in the box for the second half. You've got to take advantage of that.
A 5-6 man box is only an advantage for the offense if there are 5-6 blockers with the QB being a running threat of 6-7 blockers if he’s not. When we run 4 Wide sets and our QB isn’t going to be a primary running option, the numbers are even or we are at a disadvantage.

For teams with high caliber OL across the board who can consistently win one on one matchups, it might work but we don’t have that.

Back