What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Running Game - or lack thereof

I know in general we should be happy about the D, although I have concern about our DL. I think the run D has been solid. but there is no sign of great pass rushing that everyone has been expecting to see. It could be that the hype is simply due to the incompetence of our OL.

I really expected that our OL this year would be LT Seaton, OG Mayers, OG Johnson, RT Benson and C Brown/ Zilinskas position battle.

I have a bit of concern that there is loyalty/ favoritism to certain players and too much of players making decisions. For example, Benson prefers playing Guard and Brown doesn't like playing Center - and Brown's gonna start so we have to work around these 2 things.

Similar to how Mata is going to be our PK so we had to run off an all-conference PK and then put an extra PK on scholarship to handle kickoffs and 40+ yard FG attempts.
Prime definitely has guys he's going to play no matter what.

As I've said 100 times...Tyler Johnson should not be in the bench. He's got plenty on film to show he's a high caliber P4 starter.

I like Brown, but Prime definitely has a hard on for him.

Prime definitely has guys he's going to play no matter what.

As I've said 100 times...Tyler Johnson should not be in the bench. He's got plenty on film to show he's a high caliber P4 starter.

I like Brown, but Prime definitely has a hard on for him.
"in the bench?"

He was a top 25 punter in the nation on avg last year. He's excellent at pinning teams deep. All-ACC list, then makes All-PAC-12 for us last year. But people act like he's a weakness of this team. It crazy.
This is my point. He was excellent last year. He was a weapon. Only three games this year…. Definitely not so much.

He was a top 25 punter in the nation on avg last year. He's excellent at pinning teams deep. All-ACC list, then makes All-PAC-12 for us last year. But people act like he's a weakness of this team. It crazy.
He’s not the team’s main weakness but he does shank 1-2 per game.

Baylor held Air Force to 23 yards rushing.
They can't stop our run if we don't run.

Think About It GIF by Identity

You read the box score wrong.

AFA passing: 2/8, 25 yards, 0 TD/ 1 INT
AFA rushing: 56 for 193 yards, 0 TD / 2 FUM

Yep you are right. Don't know what I was reading. Maybe we have a chance.

I know in general we should be happy about the D, although I have concern about our DL. I think the run D has been solid. but there is no sign of great pass rushing that everyone has been expecting to see. It could be that the hype is simply due to the incompetence of our OL.

I sort of see the DL coming together, although we had a couple guys out due to injury. Thus, we have played a bunch of guys too. We are definitely bigger, stronger, faster.

I sort of feel that the DL is as far along today as the DL ever made it last season. I thought last year's DL incrementally improved making plays (did not help in some of those games the D was on the field the entire time), although that stats did not really show it. We were a bad D, but some guys shined--Domineck comes to mind.

This year, the are not always taking the best angles on some plays, but they are winning a fair share of one on one battles. We are getting some tackles for loss and making some plays. Some guys are taking double-teams, which helps others (i.e. LB/S's) within the scheme. I thought we had a great D outing on the road v. CSU, even if it is in-state. At CSU, we balanced the time of possession, which helped a ton. The O is part of the equation. The turnovers came and I think the sacks will eventually come too. Part of that is getting opposing O's in downs and distances they do not want. From SDSU to now, I see a bunch of progress. It seems like the layers--DL, LBs, S and CB's are getting on the same page. The DL may have had to focus more on gaps, setting an edge, playing disciplined (maybe hamstrung) rather than necessarily going for the big play. If the layers are there, the DL/Edge can take more chances. I think some guys will gain more confidence, play free-er, balling out and there will be more big DL plays. Once the D install is mostly in, it may allow for more bull rush on the QB and sack hunting for the DL. I don't think we necessarily have a beast like that kNU's NT (did that guy go to the Dominican Republic for enhancement?), but I see an upgrade in talent and specifically depth there. It is just having those guys play more games together as an entire D, even through injuries. Home games and crowd noise should help them this week.

Last edited:
Back