What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

The Triple Option

I agree with the others about Tommie Frazier. While he wasn't as fast as those OU wishbone QBs mentioned in this thread, he not only was tough but he operated the TO very well.

Just added Coastal Carolina & Cal Poly to the list of teams. If I'm missing any team, please let me know. I wouldn't mind listing D2 and D3 schools that run the option.

Never thought that two years after this thread was completed, we would be on the verge of hiring Calhoun.

Watching AFA at Utah State and Calhoun. It sure looks like HCKD is working out at CU but in a parallel universe, CU would still be running the option...yes I'm an unique person...LOL. I saw a graphic that Calhoun has been at AFA as long as Saban has been at Alabama...Calhoun feels like he has been at AFA longer than that.

Southern Miss just hired the Tulane OC who has a background in the option since he was an option QB in high school.

I think it would be safe to consider Southern Miss as an option team next season.

Here's my list of FBS option teams (not just triple option):

AFA
Army
Navy
Tulane
Georgia Southern
Coastal Carolina
Southern Miss (2021 proable)

If I'm missing a team, please let me know. There are more teams I could add especially those that runs the Run Pass Option quite a bit.

FCS/D2 Option Teams

Furman (SoCon)
Wofford (SoCon)
Davidson (SoCon)
The Citadel (SoCon)
Keeneesaw State (ASUN)
Southern (SWAC)
Cal Poly (Big Sky)?
Carson Newman (D2 South Atlantic Conference)
Eastern New Mexico (D2 Lone Star Conference)

Beau Baldwin is the Cal Poly coach so it's possible they are moving away from the option.

Colorado High School

Columbine
Lyons/Longmont/Cherokee Trail?

Last edited:
First update this year (post 125 above) since I'm watching FCS ball this spring.

I'd be cool if people mentioned which Colorado HS teams run the option.

First update this year (post 125 above) since I'm watching FCS ball this spring.

I'd be cool if people mentioned which Colorado HS teams run the option.
Lyons HS ran the option for decades under coach Jon Johnson, including a few State Championships.
His son Doug is the coach at Longmont and his oldest son Joe is at Cherokee Trail.

Wow no update in over a year...I must be slipping! I'm starting to do some research on which teams will be running the option this year. I cleaned up my FBS list a bit and Georgia Southern is no longer listed thanks to former USC coach Clay Helton being hired as the Eagles coach which makes it obvious that GS will not be running the option for the forseeable future. As for the FCS, I don't think Cal Poly is running the option since they have a HC with a pass heavy resume so I removed them.

Here's my list of FBS option teams (not just triple option):

AFA
Army
Navy
Tulane
Coastal Carolina
Southern Miss (more wildcat type of football in the last parts of the 2021 season)

FCS/D2 Option Teams

Furman (SoCon)
Wofford (SoCon)
Davidson (SoCon)
The Citadel (SoCon)
Keeneesaw State (ASUN)
Southern (SWAC)

I'm curious to see how NIL has an impact on the non service academy teams that are thought to be running the option. Could we see a renaissance of sorts as lesser talented teams who lost their star players to better NIL deals elsewhere would have to look at anything that gives their team a better chance at winning? It's still my ultimate wet CU Buffs football dream to see the Buffs return to option football...hopefully with the next coach. I like the idea of following Air Force football more since they would be viewed as being more "pure" and watching them beat teams full of hired guns.

I guess I would consider Tulane an option team, definitely run-oriented, but they’ve averaged 20+ pass attempts a game and between 175-225 yards passing yards a game for a few years now. That’s definitely not service academy numbers. Fritz’s offense did run Chip Long away though to GT oddly enough.

I guess I would consider Tulane an option team, definitely run-oriented, but they’ve averaged 20+ pass attempts a game and between 175-225 yards passing yards a game for a few years now. That’s definitely not service academy numbers. Fritz’s offense did run Chip Long away though to GT oddly enough.

Wouldn’t Tulane be similar to Coastal Carolina where the offense is option based but yet they could throw the ball more than run the ball? It’s more like how you run the ball as opposed to how often you run the ball.

Wouldn’t Tulane be similar to Coastal Carolina where the offense is option based but yet they could throw the ball more than run the ball? It’s more like how you run the ball as opposed to how often you run the ball.
Tbh, I haven’t watched too much of Tulane in the last two season and Fritz is always tinkering with that offensive, to kind of mixed results. I went to a few games in 2019 and it seemed to me more of a spread run with some designed passing plays mixed in. They were kind of inept though so it could have just been RPOs that we’re poorly executed. I know Fritz has kind of run away from using the option label, probably for recruiting purposes and that’s mainly where my opinion is coming from.

I guess it's time for the 2023 edition. I will include teams that run the zone read often. You don't see a team that should be on the list, please speak up.

Air Force
Army
Navy
Tulane

Colorado (Sean Lewis zone read offense...I'm getting more excited for CU football as I type this)

Liberty (Coastal Carolina coach took over the job there)
Jacksonville State (Rich-Rod and they are FBS this year)
Keeneesaw State (will be C-USA/FBS in 2024)

FCS/D2 Option Teams

Furman (SoCon)
Wofford (SoCon)
Davidson (SoCon)
The Citadel (SoCon)
Southern (SWAC)

I removed Coastal Carolina from that list since I don't think the new coach will be running an option based offense. I haven't followed S-Miss enough so I decided to remove them anyway.

I'm starting to warm up to the C-USA like I did the Sun Belt Conference before it broke out as a conference. There will be at least two option based teams in Jax State & Liberty (assuming Coach Chadwell installs the same offense he ran at Charleston Southern & Coastal Carolina). A third will be there in 2024 with Kennesaw State joining the C-USA. UTEP & NMSU could be the rivalry pair of the conference...LOL. Tarlenton State apears to be the next Texas school to move up to FBS in the future and they just expanded their stadium to 24K seats...that school from Stephensville is pretty serious about moving up.

Back