What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This is why you can't build from the outside in

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
My biggest concern with Prime from the jump was that he said he was building from the outside in.

Well, we've got great players on the outside. Much better than Nebraska. But we can't pass block, can't get a push in the run game, can't threaten the middle with a TE, can't bring consistent pressure, can't consistently stop run, and can't cover backs or TEs.

Got to hope that things gel on the OL, a TE emerges, and our front 7 can start forcing throws into our secondary. Otherwise, this team is too flawed to allow the stars to shine.

Last edited:
Didn't get to see much of the game but what I did see was Wester miss a couple throws that maybe make the first half process a little differently. I believe he dropped a very easy swing pass and had a pass go through his hands on a 3rd and long. Also the catch that wasn't over turned and a dropped INT turn into a TD. I'll have to read up and watch the game but I also saw a couple blocks from the TE that were embarrassingly bad. You almost have to wonder if we might as well put another OT out there who can barely catch instead of someone who can barely block.

Yup, spot on. There's a lot of cliches in football but one that has merit is you have to be good in the trenches to win at a high level to compete with the best. It'll be interesting to see how CP decides to build the team once Shedeur and Hunter are gone.
No transfer worth a **** is going to come and play for this **** show, especially QB, and Juju sure as **** ain't coming

That is my concern. Two years of dog **** FB and, dare I say it, transfers will not, you know, believe.
I don’t think the fans are believing in it either. I was here on the message boards all the time a year ago. This year, didn’t even really come on here during fall camp. I’ve been through so many losing seasons with CU just like you all. And I’ve finally reached a point of just wanting to see results. The results aren’t coming. The excitement of last year at 3-0 is now replaced by a team that has gone 2-9 since then. They’re not fun to watch. I actually turned it off.

It'll be interesting to see how CP decides to build the team once Shedeur and Hunter are gone.
He won’t be here, and that’s not a bad thing. He injected life back into the program, and revived a fan base. But it is becoming apparent he can’t run a P4 program. The lack of HS recruiting is not an accident, he’s a smart man, and he’s very calculated with his moves. He needed players that could compete now while he has 2 and 12 on the roster.

The Fuskers have player continuity going for them. That's the risk with relying on the portal... teamwork vs talent. Guys that have worked together for long enough get to know each other and perform as a total unit, we don't have that yet.

We have some stars, but we don't have a team yet.

The Fuskers have player continuity going for them. That's the risk with relying on the portal... teamwork vs talent. Guys that have worked together for long enough get to know each other and perform as a total unit, we don't have that yet.

We haven’t had that since Phillip Lindsay and Sefo Lieufau were outperforming better talented teams

Are we an "all sizzle, no steak" program?

I think we are until they proven otherwise.

Yes. I mentioned this to my wife earlier and I said look at Freeman's postgame presser clips, where he completely owned up to everything down to his coaches and players. He told it straight up without all the cliches and flashy style. But she said that that's who Prime is, which is true so that's what we have. And for the record I hate ND but at the same time hate to admit that I like the way Freeman carries himself and talks to the media in a no BS, straight up fashion.

That aside, can CP build a good football team on the field in Boulder and outside of a few flashes that is yet to be proven.

Almost every impact player for Nebraska is a transfer. They had the fewest transfers and yet a few RB, WR, CB, and others are transfers.
OL and DL were built over 4-5 years, and we just did not have that time, and we are hammering Hank and yet he is a True Sophmore.

I thought about this all game...

We have the worst Triumvirant possible on the Offensive side of the ball as follows:

Coach Prime says he wants to run, but he really does not want to if there is a value proposition of keeping SS throwing and all the WR on the field. A TE or multiple RB are not equal in his mind to the WR and the potential of SS throwing to the WR

Coach Shurmur is doing what Prime wants, and has now proven that he is a terrible OC that is not really committed to a running game because it is not demanded by Prime or desired by SS

Finally, SS is being allowed to have a huge input on the offense and he does not appear to value the running game and the aspects that are related to a QB carrying out running schemes, fakes, play action, etc.

The result of these 3 working together along with Coach Loadholt, Phillips, and Flea. Prime's presser was full of delusion and lies if he really believes that Shurmur is good, the plan was good, the commitment to the run was good, and that you can run out of the shogun with a single back and no help from another back, or TE or even the WR. This offensive plan is the worst I have almost ever seen in my life. SS does not ever carry out a play fake or other valuable aspects of a handoff or RPO. He give the back the ball, whispers "good luck", and for some unknown reason pushes them in the back.

Very sad day

We lost at fusker land to a team with experienced cohesive lines. That game went exactly the way the fuskers drew it up.

They took away everything we needed to do to win.

Some folks want to say it is about the coaching and prep. I would suggest it is all about not having the dudes on the ol we need working together over time and learning to be a unit.

There is a lot of football left to be played and i still think we can bowl. We aren’t as far along in year 2 as i had hoped.

Prime shuts all that down, it’s weak. I would love someone to ask why Charlie sees meaningful minutes. 9 carries for 19 yards this year, with 2 starts. Unfortunately we’ll never get answers to these questions .
Minutes are in basketball. Football has snaps.

This scheme asks too much of the offensive line. There's no effort to run the ball, and there isn't enough Mike Leach type short passing. You've got a road game at an inferior opponent next week, followed by a conference home opener against an inferior opponent. Now's the time to make some adjustments.

FWIW, Oregan State is again better than CU in the trenches. Their starting C is Van Wells and their starting LT is Gerard Christian-Lichtenhan. IMO, we ran off too many guys in the trenches.
Isn't this the exact problem?

It's not the talent. It's the QB problem. Let's just be straightforward here.

QBs and O lines have to be complementary. If the style of play between them doesn't mesh protection becomes much harder. SS holds onto the ball for too long and the scheme so far doesn't have effective quick window plays. Lines also need time to gel and grow which is exactly the opposite of what you get with relying on the portal. Add in an inexperienced line coach and a vanilla playbook to arrive at our awful offensive line play.

This scheme asks too much of the offensive line. There's no effort to run the ball, and there isn't enough Mike Leach type short passing. You've got a road game at an inferior opponent next week, followed by a conference home opener against an inferior opponent. Now's the time to make some adjustments.
You need choice routes for that. They threw away the choice routes because they didn't recruit high IQ WRs outside of Travis and Weaver. Essentially, i really don't know what they are doing because this is very vanilla.

My changes would be

Change the OL personnel or commit to 60/40. This 85/15 or 90/10 to the pass won't work.

They have the talent but everyone knows you just need to put 7 in coverage and while you won't shut them down unless your DL is elite, you can slow them down.

On defense, my issues are there but it's minor. It's not much different than my opinion on most 10-60 ranked teams.

But offensively, this **** is way worse than last year. It's not even close. Last year, they got downloaded. This year, they don't even know what they are doing

Yes. I mentioned this to my wife earlier and I said look at Freeman's postgame presser clips, where he completely owned up to everything down to his coaches and players. He told it straight up without all the cliches and flashy style. But she said that that's who Prime is, which is true so that's what we have. And for the record I hate ND but at the same time hate to admit that I like the way Freeman carries himself and talks to the media in a no BS, straight up fashion.

That aside, can CP build a good football team on the field in Boulder and outside of a few flashes that is yet to be proven.
Be careful.

FWIW, Oregan State is again better than CU in the trenches. Their starting C is Van Wells and their starting LT is Gerard Christian-Lichtenhan. IMO, we ran off too many guys in the trenches.
We ran them off by saying over and over they suck, suck badly, and they weren't what will make SS successful. New players, same story. What is a common denominator to all this?

Back