What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This is why you can't build from the outside in

My complaint is that they could/ should have also been looking 2-4 years ahead by signing some prep recruits for the trenches.
Below are the OL/DL they brought in with multiple years of eligibility. I don't necessarily expect all of these guys back in 2025, but they brought in three blue chip players on the OL with 4 years of eligibility and three blue chip DL with either 3 or 4 years of eligibility.

OL
5* Jordan Seaton - 5 to play 4
4* Payton Kirkland - 4 to play 4
4* Zach Owens - 4 to play 4
3* Khalil Benson - 2 to play 2

DL
4* Sam Okunlola - 3 to play 3
4* Brandon Davis Swain - 5 to play 4
4* Quency Wiggins - 3 to play 3
3* Anquin Barnes - 2 to play 2
3* Tawfiq Thomas - 3 to play 2
3* Nikhil Webb Walker - 3 to play 3
3* Yakiri Walker - 2 to play 2
3* Keaton Wade - 3 to play 2

Below are the OL/DL they brought in with multiple years of eligibility. I don't necessarily expect all of these guys back in 2025, but they brought in three blue chip players on the OL with 4 years of eligibility and three blue chip DL with either 3 or 4 years of eligibility.

OL
5* Jordan Seaton - 5 to play 4
4* Payton Kirkland - 4 to play 4
4* Zach Owens - 4 to play 4
3* Khalil Benson - 2 to play 2

DL
4* Sam Okunlola - 3 to play 3
4* Brandon Davis Swain - 5 to play 4
4* Quency Wiggins - 3 to play 3
3* Anquin Barnes - 2 to play 2
3* Tawfiq Thomas - 3 to play 2
3* Nikhil Webb Walker - 3 to play 3
3* Yakiri Walker - 2 to play 2
3* Keaton Wade - 3 to play 2
Improved in 2024, but what would have helped this year was if we'd seen that in 2023.

Also have 4* Chauncey Gooden and 3* Jay Gardenhire as two prep OL commits.

The 2025 OL could theoretically return all 5 starters from the CSU game while adding blue chip players who are already on the roster in Kirkland and Owens, incoming blue chip Freshman Chauncey Gooden and whoever else they are able to sign from HS or add from the portal.

Also have 4* Chauncey Gooden and 3* Jay Gardenhire as two prep OL commits.

The 2025 OL could theoretically return all 5 starters from the CSU game while adding blue chip players who are already on the roster in Kirkland and Owens, incoming blue chip Freshman Chauncey Gooden and whoever else they are able to sign from HS or add from the portal.
This is a great conversation for the bye week when we have more CU football mental bandwidth for looking ahead. But I was just thinking today about how the team is probably set up very well to target a few positions like TE & ILB to transform into a team that wins by dominating the box. Perfect in consideration of all we'll be losing at QB, WR and DB.

This is a great conversation for the bye week when we have more CU football mental bandwidth for looking ahead. But I was just thinking today about how the team is probably set up very well to target a few positions like TE & ILB to transform into a team that wins by dominating the box. Perfect in consideration of all we'll be losing at QB, WR and DB.
I think we have some promising returning WRs in O Miller, Russell, Drelon, and Mikel but I’m sure we’ll target at least one or two guys from the portal. Honestly, bring in a TE from the portal and I think the offense looks pretty attractive for a top transfer or even a certain 5* HS QB

I think we have some promising returning WRs in O Miller, Russell, Drelon, and Mikel but I’m sure we’ll target at least one or two guys from the portal. Honestly, bring in a TE from the portal and I think the offense looks pretty attractive for a top transfer or even a certain 5* HS QB
Honestly I’d be surprised if Omarion returns with such little playing time this year. Hope I’m wrong.

Who is he supposed to be playing over? Hunter? No. Wester? No. Jimmy? No. Shepard? No.

Isn’t this how a program is built?
Be patient and develop behind the guys in front of you and when they move on, it’s your turn. If you don’t like competition and want to go somewhere else for playing time, by all means, leave.

Who is he supposed to be playing over? Hunter? No. Wester? No. Jimmy? No. Shepard? No.

Isn’t this how a program is built?
Be patient and develop behind the guys in front of you and when they move on, it’s your turn. If you don’t like competition and want to go somewhere else for playing time, by all means, leave.
He is equal to Sheppard and nobody considered Travis playing EVERY snap still possible. 70/30 he leaves and that would suck. Only Juju would save him

Improved in 2024, but what would have helped this year was if we'd seen that in 2023.

@Buffnik, I don't know what you think of this line of thinking, but something that comes to mind is going into last season, we really didn't assemble a staff + recruiting department with adjustment period until after the early portal--that part was not "established." Also, maybe we did not know what we were really shopping for in the TP other than having to fill spots. Last season provided valuable feedback as to needs and types of players. Also, it gave a season to build culture. When I say "types of players," that means finding guys projected to thrive in the culture.

I just think this 2nd time around CU had the luxury of more established recruiting staff/scouts, coaches (Shumer, Flea, Hart [although he is criticized], maybe another 1-2) to better evaluate the transfer portal, CU's needs, and select who we brought in.

Looks like we maybe struck out at TE, and LB is to be determined. Carter-Webb is changing some of my views. At TE, we brought in two highly touted guys (4*'s) that just did not work for whatever reason. It is not like CU can bring in multiple 4* portal guys at TE and have them battle it out. The guy that comes wants to see the field. In the portal, the TE position is thin compared to other positions, with the well established teams snapping those guys up. I thought the same at LB--not the volume. IMO, the TP provides tons of QBs, WRs (they seem dime a dozen), DBs and decent in DLine. OL is harder. Same with TE, if they come they expect to play.

Your point on stocking some HS OL is well-taken and would have been nice. So long as the guys are comfortable sitting, we are winning, and recruits are convinced Prime is here for the long-haul, I think that will start to happen. I have just been shocked at the sheer number of Blue Chip HS recruits that have transferred from all teams/positions, and the wash out/attrition rate.

Last edited:
You're not building a team with the quantity of transfers brought in - there's a huge gap between CU and everyone else

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Is your point that CU needs to primarily build with Blue Chip HS recruits, better transfers, or should of have held onto more KD players?

Is it the quality of the transfers or the quality of the roster? With transfers, CU still has to recruit against the big dogs for who they bring in. Depending on the service CU ranked anywhere from 1-8 in the portal. There is a huge gap between CU and the perennial powerhouse programs, but our roster was like 103 when Prime took over. Now the roster is closer top Top-50 in talent-wise. Still gaps in some positions, but I think most everyone on this board agrees this roster is more talented than last year's roster. Teams need to build and close the gap, which takes time. Also, teams are better when they are playing in year 2-5 in a certain O or D system. It all takes time.

What is that Herbie Brooks line in Miracle as to why All-Star teams fail?

Yeah I thought the same thing, but he has a chance to be WR1 next year. Prime and the staff will have their work cut out retaining current players they want to stick around
That’s why imo at least getting him involved in special teams keeps him involved. If he feels like he has a hand in whatever success we have he’s more likely to stay.

Yeah I thought the same thing, but he has a chance to be WR1 next year. Prime and the staff will have their work cut out retaining current players they want to stick around
That’s why imo at least getting him involved in special teams keeps him involved. If he feels like he has a hand in whatever success we have he’s more likely to stay.

Back