What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

This Season is Special - ENJOY IT

If Buffy win in the opening round they win the second game and get to the Sweets. They are better that second game in 48 hrs usually. It's a question of that first game. Can't start down 28-10 or something. Ultra important to get a decent start. And do we want them getting to the final of the Pac-12 tourney or getting more rest? I feel like a team like Seton Hall, for example, is better off losing early in the BE Tourney and getting rest. Myles Powell is gassed. But for a team like Creighton? If they win BE they will be going into the tourney with a ton of confidence. If CU win the Pac 12 Tourney is it great or are they a little emotionally and physically gassed?

If Buffy win in the opening round they win the second game and get to the Sweets. They are better that second game in 48 hrs usually. It's a question of that first game. Can't start down 28-10 or something. Ultra important to get a decent start. And do we want them getting to the final of the Pac-12 tourney or getting more rest? I feel like a team like Seton Hall, for example, is better off losing early in the BE Tourney and getting rest. Myles Powell is gassed. But for a team like Creighton? If they win BE they will be going into the tourney with a ton of confidence. If CU win the Pac 12 Tourney is it great or are they a little emotionally and physically gassed?
Retcon whatever narrative you want to after the Tourney.

I want CU to win the regular season, and Pac12 Tourney title.

The more games they win between now and selection Sunday, the easier their first round and second round opponents will be.

If things go on a reasonable course, it looks like the Buffs will get a bye going into the PAC 12 tourney and won't need to win it to get an NCAA berth. The rest of this season is for NCAA seeding. I said "reasonable course".

We don’t need rest, best case is win win win, and as RS mentioed, if we can win the Pac 12 regular season and tourny crowns, we’ll get great seededing, potentially a 2-seed, certainly a 3.

Also you don’t need rest as we’ll play thursday, friday and saturday in the P12 tourney. 3 days is not crazy, and then we’d have nearly a full week until the second round of the NCAA tourny on Th/Fr, which is equal to our normal rest schedule. Plus we end the season at Utah, so we have a dull week of rest before that game.

If things go on a reasonable course, it looks like the Buffs will get a bye going into the PAC 12 tourney and won't need to win it to get an NCAA berth. The rest of this season is for NCAA seeding. I said "reasonable course".
They could lose out from here and would probably land somewhere around an 8-10 seed.

If they win out (including the Pac12 Tourney) they could go as high as a #2 seed.

I still maintain it was leaking Dorrell right before a national tv game. That's bad juju that RG unleashed upon the program and we now need to make sacrifices to right the ship.
Plus, we are 2 games under our top estimated win level and we're doing fine until the UCLA collapse. Nor was there a guarantee of anything.

It's at the worst time is my problem with it. I know I'm a broken record, I'd really like to see them press the tempo more. It fits what they have personnel wise. Getting some easy buckets will help with the outside game. We settle for half court O too much. A lot of times, guys seem to not know what to do and jack up crap to beat the clock. It would help with the front court size issue as well, keep the fouls down on the bigs.

It's at the worst time is my problem with it. I know I'm a broken record, I'd really like to see them press the tempo more. It fits what they have personnel wise. Getting some easy buckets will help with the outside game. We settle for half court O too much. A lot of times, guys seem to not know what to do and jack up crap to beat the clock. It would help with the front court size issue as well, keep the fouls down on the bigs.
You can't push tempo when you don't get stops.

We need to bring back the Navy Seals. wasn't that about teaching teamwork and confidence?

Not to be too nit picky because I agree with your overall point but the tournament does not represent the best 68 teams. More like top 50-55 and then a group of automatic bids.

Agree, but its more like 45-46. Don't forget about bid thieves-the Pac 12 had one last year in Oregon.

fwiw, I think this year's Oregon team is better than the one that went to the Final Four a few years ago even though it hasn't been as consistent and isn't as good on defense. Pritchard may be the only guy on the roster who was on last year's team, so it has taken a while.

Since you brought up Pritchard, I'll go here (and feel free to move this to the Nugget thread): Am I the only one who thinks he'd fit the Nuggets?

I'd like to say that Utah is a must win game, but really it isn't going to matter that much because whether CU finishes with 7 or 8 PAC12 losses isn't likely to impact their final position much.

USC and UCLA are playing as well as anyone in conference right now and USC gets UCLA at home. Thus I give USC an edge there, meaning UCLA finishes 12-6 and USC 11-7.

Oregon, ASU and Arizona each have easy schedules and should win out to close the season making Oregon 13-5 and the conference champs, Arizona 11-7 and ASU 12-6.

Stanford is very likely to split their final two games on the road, winning at OSU and losing to Oregon making their finish 10-8.

In this scenario, if I understand the tiebreakers correctly, CU finishes the season in 6th place in the conference.....if they lose to Utah they could fall to 7th.

Finish 6th and you get Oregon State in the 1st round of the tournament. Finish 7th and you get Utah or Washington State. Not any real difference. Win at Utah or win one game in the PAC12 and your in the dance. Lose them both and CU could fall from lock to one of the four to just miss the dance (Depending on conference tournament upsets).

Who on earth would have thought, at half time of the UCLA game, that this team would finish 6th in conference?

You can't push tempo when you don't get stops.
I agree with that. It just seems to me that these guys get lulled to sleep quite often playing half court, both sides. I don't even remember another team that I've seen get so late in shot clock multiple times during a game, it's about every damn game. The scheme doesn't fit imho. A lot of these guys would be better players up tempo. Both sides would feed off of it. Idk if this is the time of year for that, though.

I do think if everyone has a spare 30 min, they should listen to this. Very fair, very nuanced discussion of how everything has gone to ****.

It’s been a while since I’ve been in this thread. Should I still be enjoying this season? Because I’m not enjoying it right now.

So don't anyone take this the wrong way, there's a reason I am not posting this in the Tad must go thread, but if this season ends with 6 straight losses including first round losses in both the Pac-12 tournament and the NCAAs, does that change your opinion of Tad and what the potential of this program is in the future?

So don't anyone take this the wrong way, there's a reason I am not posting this in the Tad must go thread, but if this season ends with 6 straight losses including first round losses in both the Pac-12 tournament and the NCAAs, does that change your opinion of Tad and what the potential of this program is in the future?

Here's what I'd respond to this with-If Billy Donovan ever got canned by the Thunder and decided he wanted to come back to college basketball......that's one thing with this conversation. If firing Tad means somebody like Jeff Linder (Northern Colorado) or Travis DeCuire (Montana) taking over, meh. I don't see much difference between either of their resumes right now and Tad's when he took this job. I don't like the idea of change for the sake of change unless its really warranted (like moving on from Mike MacIntyre in football after 2018 was for example) and I don't think we're even close to that point.

Nope. A 6-game bad stretch isn’t the determinant for a 10-year coaching career.

Here's how this thing is going to finish up:
1 ORE 24-7 / 13-5
2 UCLA 20-11 / 13-5
3 ASU 21-10 / 12-6
4 UA 21-10 / 11-7
5 CU 21-10 / 10-8
6 USC 21-10 / 10-8
7 STA 21-10 / 10-8
8 OSU 17-13 / 7-11
9 UTA 16-14 / 7-11
10 CAL 13-18 / 7-11
11 WSU 15-16 / 6-12