What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Thoughts on the 2018 Class So Far

What grade would you give the class so far (take into account that it is only the summer)

• A

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • A-

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • B+

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • B

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • B-

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • C

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If we close out the DL recruiting in this class like we closed out the OL recruiting in the last class, I think most people will be pretty happy.

At this time last year, only Paige was committed on the OL. We closed with Polley, Sherman, Moretti, and Roddick. We also had Newman in the fold for some time as well. Everyone knew it was a good OL class.

This year, the coaches have been offering a lot of JUCO defensive linemen and have not had much success so far. Given how they kinda pulled a rabbit out of the hat by getting Edwards and Mulumba, this DL class is pretty important to upgrade talent and fortify the depth. If we do not see any difference makers at DL in this class, going to be hard to say it is a successful class.

I just looked he missed half of the season. I do think Lytle without missing part of that season and Stenstrom starting his junior year... both would easily be 4 star QB's. Credit to this staff for relentlessly pursuing them both. I still would like to see more college coaches jump on Stenstrom. As someone mentioned, Lytle had a bunch even with injury. I too believe coaches speak much louder than star rankings.

I just looked he missed half of the season. I do think Lytle without missing part of that season and Stenstrom starting his junior year... both would easily be 4 star QB's. Credit to this staff for relentlessly pursuing them both. I still would like to see more college coaches jump on Stenstrom. As someone mentioned, Lytle had a bunch even with injury. I too believe coaches speak much louder than star rankings.
I doubt we will see more reported offers with Stenstrom. Seems like the type who will quickly and politely shut it down when other programs approach him.

True... we have some good ones at the end of the day. We will never know how many approach him, but I do trust the coaches and their evaluation of talent. Hopefully this time next year we are 4 deep.

If we close out the DL recruiting in this class like we closed out the OL recruiting in the last class, I think most people will be pretty happy.

At this time last year, only Paige was committed on the OL. We closed with Polley, Sherman, Moretti, and Roddick. We also had Newman in the fold for some time as well. Everyone knew it was a good OL class.

This year, the coaches have been offering a lot of JUCO defensive linemen and have not had much success so far. Given how they kinda pulled a rabbit out of the hat by getting Edwards and Mulumba, this DL class is pretty important to upgrade talent and fortify the depth. If we do not see any difference makers at DL in this class, going to be hard to say it is a successful class.

You know it would be great if we had a DL coach who could really generate some enthusiasm from DL prospects. A guy who might make use of his college and professional background to get our foot in the door, a guy with a history in Texas where a lot of really good DL prospects come from.

I think a big part of last years success on the OL had to do with Adams. This is his first year officially as the OL coach but we heard his name often from the OL recruits last year.

Somehow despite being a former NFL pro bowler who had a solid career with the Cowboys we don't get that same kind of energy from recruits with Jeffcoat.

I'm not as bad as PsycoBuff used to be but I am a believer that solid defense starts with the positions closest to the ball when it is snapped. We have gotten a couple breaks on guys who developed and we have filled some holes with JC guys but for the most part DL recruiting has been behind most other positions on the team. How much of that is because our DL coach seems to be one of our weakest recruiters.

I doubt we will see more reported offers with Stenstrom. Seems like the type who will quickly and politely shut it down when other programs approach him.
Stenstrom seems committed to MacIntyre. If, for whatever reason, MacIntyre leaves, I worry Stenstrom's commitment softens.

So, we are lukewarm for a class that doesn't have a single 2 star. It's good to see that our expectations have risen in the last couple of years. I, too, have higher expectations than a 3.0. We need to start attracting a handful of game changers.

I believe what I've heard is that Stenstrom did not just play mop up (which implies he was not in the game when starters were playing and while the game was in doubt), but instead played something like the 3rd series of every game. While that doesn't add up to a ton of film/experience, it does give you 12 or so series that are very valid for evaluation. Mop up often means scrubs, and guys going less than full speed. I'd call the above game snaps his A-snaps, and the mop-up duty his B-snaps. There's no way to know which are which from the Stats.

I heard early on from some knowledgeable folks that there was a real competition every day in practice and that there was really no discernible difference between the Team under Stenstrom and their #1 QB, Dylan McCaffrey, other than Dylan was older and had more experience. Not to say they were identical players, just that the offense performed about the same. This type of anecdotal praise I find to be less than reliable, but sometimes it's highly accurate.

With that said, there's not enough reps in just those games (especially the A-type) to really base an opinion. But if you consider that our two OC's were in on this kid early (Chev's kid being a WR on the team and all), they would have had the benefit of seeing some practice competitions and a lot of practice reps to help form their opinions.
Then they were able to validate what their opinions were in those limited A-snaps above. They'd be evaluating how he handles live bullets, pocket pressure, blitzes, speed-of-the-game, and mental aspects as well. If you've formed an opinion in practice, all you're really looking for is "does it hold up in game action".

Other programs just did not invest that sort of time in some kid who barely played (as would be expected).

I really have zero concern about his rating or his lack of PT, for the reasons above. We've had the benefit of almost private sessions with the kid. As with Montez, I think this kid is a 4-star talent with 2-star exposure. Unlike Montez, Stenstrom's abilities will be on display this fall. We will get a chance to see if our OC's were smart or not. And as Nik said, i doubt the offers come rolling in either way.

You could argue other independent variables matter to winning percentage (coaching staff experience, money paid to SEC players, etc).

I say high correlation, not causation.
Particularly correlated when looking at expected wins based on where the classes from 3 & 4 years ago ranked vs conference peers.

I believe what I've heard is that Stenstrom did not just play mop up (which implies he was not in the game when starters were playing and while the game was in doubt), but instead played something like the 3rd series of every game. While that doesn't add up to a ton of film/experience, it does give you 12 or so series that are very valid for evaluation. Mop up often means scrubs, and guys going less than full speed. I'd call the above game snaps his A-snaps, and the mop-up duty his B-snaps. There's no way to know which are which from the Stats.

I heard early on from some knowledgeable folks that there was a real competition every day in practice and that there was really no discernible difference between the Team under Stenstrom and their #1 QB, Dylan McCaffrey, other than Dylan was older and had more experience. Not to say they were identical players, just that the offense performed about the same. This type of anecdotal praise I find to be less than reliable, but sometimes it's highly accurate.

With that said, there's not enough reps in just those games (especially the A-type) to really base an opinion. But if you consider that our two OC's were in on this kid early (Chev's kid being a WR on the team and all), they would have had the benefit of seeing some practice competitions and a lot of practice reps to help form their opinions.
Then they were able to validate what their opinions were in those limited A-snaps above. They'd be evaluating how he handles live bullets, pocket pressure, blitzes, speed-of-the-game, and mental aspects as well. If you've formed an opinion in practice, all you're really looking for is "does it hold up in game action".

Other programs just did not invest that sort of time in some kid who barely played (as would be expected).

I really have zero concern about his rating or his lack of PT, for the reasons above. We've had the benefit of almost private sessions with the kid. As with Montez, I think this kid is a 4-star talent with 2-star exposure. Unlike Montez, Stenstrom's abilities will be on display this fall. We will get a chance to see if our OC's were smart or not. And as Nik said, i doubt the offers come rolling in either way.

I heard similar things FWIW.

Yeah, and I also heard Conrad Obi was "unockable" and Jon embree was a "Grand Slam" hire. I've learned to take the hype from Boulder with a considerable grain of salt.

It as optimistic about Stenstrom as the next guy, but until I actually see him against real competition, I'll reserve judgement.

Yeah, and I also heard Conrad Obi was "unockable" and Jon embree was a "Grand Slam" hire. I've learned to take the hype from Boulder with a considerable grain of salt.

It as optimistic about Stenstrom as the next guy, but until I actually see him against real competition, I'll reserve judgement.
This hype has nothing to do with Boulder, just comments from an opposing high school coach.

I understand. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded.
giphy.gif

Obi was unblockable, by the CU offensive line in scrimmage.... Turned out that so was everyone they went up against. But yeah, your point is well understood and a truism.

Obi was unblockable, by the CU offensive line in scrimmage.... Turned out that so was everyone they went up against. But yeah, your point is well understood and a truism.
Yep. I don't think there was any dishonesty about the Obi statements. Our OL was just that bad.

Judgement is reserved for any recruit.

I change my grade to a B+. I think this class is fantastic now with the last few additions. We are going to be loaded at WR & QB for years to come. Love the tall/athletic DB's we continue to add. But really I give it a B+ because this solid class with the addition of last years class is phenomenal.

Looking much better with recent recruits in the secondary and love the 4star WR addition BUT

Where is NT and DT/DE recruiting? Looking at the roster including 2018 commits and there are a lot of holes. A strong finish here and with at least 1 or 2 JUCOs and I'm very happy with this class. If not, a bit scary.

Assume we're done with WR now, correct?

Looking much better with recent recruits in the secondary and love the 4star WR addition BUT

Where is NT and DT/DE recruiting? Looking at the roster including 2018 commits and there are a lot of holes. A strong finish here and with at least 1 or 2 JUCOs and I'm very happy with this class. If not, a bit scary.

Assume we're done with WR now, correct?

Completely agree. That is why if we can get the two JUCO's Tremblay 4 Star DT & Eisworth 3 Star S along with a high school DT/DE, LB and maybe another S/CB I think we are set.

Have to figure with the class we already have assembled, the coaches can basically just focus on the front seven here on out.

Back