What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Thoughts on the 2018 Class So Far

What grade would you give the class so far (take into account that it is only the summer)

• A

Votes: 5 4.8%
  • A-

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • B+

Votes: 11 10.5%
  • B

Votes: 26 24.8%
  • B-

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • C

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • F

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
It's dumbfounded to you. Zero 4* ranked recruits by most networks is lacking the step forward this program needs in difference making talent department which is disappointing for most fans. Yes, we're adding very solid kids who fit our system, they may outshine their rankings. I'm pulling for our all our new buffs and those types are how we've stepped to this level. The lack of recruiting success with 4+ * rated kids after winning the Pac 12 south shows we still have a ways to go in terms of national recognition, i.e. being seen as a school where you can compete at the highest levels. Still early so hopefully the coaches can rally and close on some high profile prospects.

It's dumbfounded to you. Zero 4* ranked recruits by most networks is lacking the step forward this program needs in difference making talent department which is disappointing for most fans. Yes, we're adding very solid kids who fit our system, they may outshine their rankings. I'm pulling for our all our new buffs and those types are how we've stepped to this level. The lack of recruiting success with 4+ * rated kids after winning the Pac 12 south shows we still have a ways to go in terms of national recognition, i.e. being seen as a school where you can compete at the highest levels. Still early so hopefully the coaches can rally and close on some high profile prospects.
Navy has 58 commits already, we only have 16 - FIRE MAC!

If we can close out with a couple 4 star DL men and a certain 4 star LB. I can see a few bump ups as the season is played out. I expect a 4 star QB rating by scout and Rivals to go along with the current 4 star rating by ESPN. That would bump my C to a B.

Recruiting gurus. After our success last year, it doesn't seem all that far fetched that there would be a one year sort of lag in its affect on recruiting. Is that wishful thinking?

Recruiting gurus. After our success last year, it doesn't seem all that far fetched that there would be a one year sort of lag in its affect on recruiting. Is that wishful thinking?
Not a recruiting guru, but yes that's wishful thinking.

I want a whole bunch of 4-5 star players, but this team is going to need another good year or two to achieve that. That's realistic. I hope that the Buffs can close with a couple good DL. I would love Tremblay and a high schooler--Avery anyone... If they could score a guy like Martin at DE I would be ecstatic. Winston at LB would be a dream. Give me a decent TE and let's call it a day. Either way I'm pleased because I think this class builds on last years. When was the last time CU didn't have 2-star recruits in a class?

To see a big jump? Yeah, there is usually somewhat of a lag year in recruiting.

As you point out we won the PAC12 South and if that were the extent of the story then you'd be correct in being disappointed in this recruiting class.

Did you forget though that we also lost our nationally respected D coordinator, got our butts kicked in a bowl game on national TV, lost several more defensive coaches, had a Domestic Violence scandal, endured painstakingly long coach replacement searches/hires, and had to navigate a substantial portion of the recruiting season with our HC and AD under fire and with very uncertain futures here at CU.

Amazing what the staff has been able to put together thus far. An 8 or 9 win season this year coupled with maybe only half of the negatives cited above and this staff will be reeling in 6 star studs that can play NT or RB depending on where we need em.

As you point out we won the PAC12 South and if that were the extent of the story then you'd be correct in being disappointed in this recruiting class.

Did you forget though that we also lost our nationally respected D coordinator, got our butts kicked in a bowl game on national TV, lost several more defensive coaches, had a Domestic Violence scandal, endured painstakingly long coach replacement searches/hires, and had to navigate a substantial portion of the recruiting season with our HC and AD under fire and with very uncertain futures here at CU.

Amazing what the staff has been able to put together thus far. An 8 or 9 win season this year coupled with maybe only half of the negatives cited above and this staff will be reeling in 6 star studs that can play NT or RB depending on where we need em.

Those things are not lost on me but I fully expected Mac to be cleared. We did the right course as an admin but Mac was not in the wrong. I agree that other programs probably used it to take momentum. That being said and what i've never understood is for as amazing a place as Boulder is, we do not see an additional pop in recruiting because of that. I've been to every location in the Pac 12. There are some real dumps. Nothing like what Boulder can sell and we just cannot find a way to leverage it to our advantage which is baffling. That combined with a really successful 2016 season is very frustrating to me to a point. We've had a lot worse in terms of classes, and on average I think we are trending up but it would be awesome to see some real momentum gatherers commits (4 & 5*) and get this thing going even quicker.

Again, I will root hard for all of our buffs. This class is a C for me. I expected more.

Not a "big" jump. But a bit of a jump.

I guess it is semantics, but I view landing more blue chip players as a big jump. Anyway, I can believe there is somewhat of a lag time in that recruiting bump, but if it actually happens, we will know pretty early on in 2018. We should be landing some very good players (Bachmeier, Shanult, Lytle, etc.) or at least getting serious interest from a LOT of very good players.

I think pretty much everyone liked the 2017 class, which does not even count the really good players who signed elsewhere, but expressed more than passing interest in CU. Landing blue chip players is hard, anything at above a 50% hit rate is great, even 33% is doing well. All this talk of "as long as we close on every major DL recruit on the radar, it's all good" belies that point.

Reactions: DBT
I think if they land Jeremiah Martin (who is the four star we have the best shot at IMO), this class looks way better. That gives us a bonafide blue-chipper at a huge position of need, and a big steal out of SoCal.

Who was that 5 star RB from Hawkins era? I think he came in overweight and soft as a cream puff.

I would rather have hungry 3 stars that fit the system as opposed to Prima Dona 5 stars.

Very, very mediocre class, especially for the current PAC 12 South champs with beautiful, new facilities. Macintryre has always been a mediocre recruiter, but to be fair, I think the Regents witchhunt against Rick George and MacIntyre had a very negative effect on this class. Recruiting is all about momentum, and we lost it early in the recruiting process.

I know that RG feels betrayed by the Regents, though that will never be apparent in public. He is much more likely to leave depending on what options present themself. I think he is extraordinarily talented - we're lucky the PAC 12 is stupidly wed to Larry Scott, because RG would run circles around him.

Last edited:
Definitely didn't expect us to win the Big 12 South last year. Should have had a nice bump in recruiting after that. :)

Agree on losing some momentum with all the issues, but class is a good one IMO and should bring in needed depth.

Very, very mediocre class, especially for the current Big 12 South champs with beautiful, new facilities. Macintryre has always been a mediocre recruiter, but to be fair, I think the Regents witchhunt against Rick George and MacIntyre had a very negative effect on this class. Recruiting is all about momentum, and we lost it early in the recruiting process.

I know that RG feels betrayed by the Regents, though that will never be apparent in public. He is much more likely to leave depending on what options present themself. I think he is extraordinarily talented - we're lucky the PAC 12 is stupidly wed to Larry Scott, because RG would run circles around him.

Very, very mediocre class, especially for the current Big 12 South champs with beautiful, new facilities. Macintryre has always been a mediocre recruiter, but to be fair, I think the Regents witchhunt against Rick George and MacIntyre had a very negative effect on this class. Recruiting is all about momentum, and we lost it early in the recruiting process.

Wow Big 12 South huh, good to know.

It still comes down to DL. We do not lead for a single top DL prospect right now.

Back