What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Time to reboot this forum, I suppose

I really liked what I saw from Owen McCown last week. Having said that, I absolutely do not want another coach-QB son scenario at CU.
I agree with the Coach-Son scenario, but I firmly believe that after what we have seen from BLew and Shrout, McCown is the best hope for CU Football moving forward over the next 3-4 years, so maybe Josh has connections to some great coaches that could really coach him up and make the next staff successful

I really liked what I saw from Owen McCown last week. Having said that, I absolutely do not want another coach-QB son scenario at CU.
Of our coaching hires since we hired Hawkins, isn’t Tucker the only one who either did not have a son on the roster or a son in athletic admin?

I thought he’d be a big success at UNC. He seemed like he would be the kind of guy who was really detailed and had an awesome game plan.
He was able to pull a bunch of quality FBS transfers. I think he's a much better promoter than coach. UNC doesn't have the money for assistants to have a figurehead HC.

One other thing to consider - I would bet that CU is not going to be willing to pay millions to buy a coach out of an existing deal. So I don't expect us to poach. It will either be a former HC looking to get back in or it will be a coordinator.

One other thing to consider - I would bet that CU is not going to be willing to pay millions to buy a coach out of an existing deal. So I don't expect us to poach. It will either be a former HC looking to get back in or it will be a coordinator.
I can’t imagine CU being in a position to poach a P5 HC anyways. Maybe a low paid G5 HC nearing the end of a contract, but yeah, I think it’s coordinator or former HC

This is one of the main reasons I’m holding out hope for Dan Mullen or Tom Herman. No buyouts needed for those guys which either means they’re attractive enough for us to actually pursue, or we can give them a juicier contract

This is one of the main reasons I’m holding out hope for Dan Mullen or Tom Herman. No buyouts needed for those guys which either means they’re attractive enough for us to actually pursue, or we can give them a juicier contract
I really dislike Mullen. I'd support him if he was the CU coach, but I'd be quick to turn on him if there were any struggles.

From another power 5? Agree. Not likely. From a g5 or fcs school? That's possible.

Just curious, why do you dislike him? I don't know much about him other than his name.
Complete ass. One very public incident was during the height of the pandemic, he bitched about how they lost at Texas A&M because of the Aggie crowd. He doubled down by saying that he wanted the Swamp packed with fans, regardless of state or federal guidance. He never apologized or walked it back. Karma, though, since he came down with Covid.

Complete ass. One very public incident was during the height of the pandemic, he bitched about how they lost at Texas A&M because of the Aggie crowd. He doubled down by saying that he wanted the Swamp packed with fans, regardless of state or federal guidance. He never apologized or walked it back. Karma, though, since he came down with Covid.
I see, didn't know that. I'm in agreement.

What would people think about Walters if he wasn't a Buff ?
A significant step down from hiring Barry Odom, his mentor who is also working as a DC and is just as available with a proven track record as a HC who had Mizzou bowling out of the SEC East. Considering that the reaction to my posting Odom's profile as a potential candidate was lukewarm at best, I can't imagine why there would be interest in Walters.

Is anyone worried guys that have been out of coaching a year will struggle to poach staff and most importantly pull transfers from the portal?

I would be happy with either of these guys I’m just curious if others think a current P5 coordinator would have more success getting transfers. I’m not in for a 4-5 year rebuild. This sh*t show needs to be cleaned up in a hurry.

Is anyone worried guys that have been out of coaching a year will struggle to poach staff and most importantly pull transfers from the portal?

I would be happy with either of these guys I’m just curious if others think a current P5 coordinator would have more success getting transfers. I’m not in for a 4-5 year rebuild. This sh*t show needs to be cleaned up in a hurry.

Money talks.

I think the key question regarding a new coach and/or his staff is how big a dent the KD buyout is gonna put in the AD's budget. When we fired HCMM and brought in Tucker my impression was that the budget was absolutely non-existent.

A year is nothing. The college football coaching industry is way too insular to prevent a longtime head coach like Mullen from assembling a coaching staff with much difficulty.

I think the key question regarding a new coach and/or his staff is how big a dent the KD buyout is gonna put in the AD's budget. When we fired HCMM and brought in Tucker my impression was that the budget was absolutely non-existent.

Budget will always be an issue at CU, but the AD has to do a much better job in how the assistant coaching salary pool is allocated.

A good example is someone like Gary Bernardi being paid $300K+ to be the TE coach. At CU, you should be paying someone half the age of Bernardi half the salary of Bernardi. Those savings add up.

Budget will always be an issue at CU, but the AD has to do a much better job in how the assistant coaching salary pool is allocated.

A good example is someone like Gary Bernardi being paid $300K+ to be the TE coach. At CU, you should be paying someone half the age of Bernardi half the salary of Bernardi. Those savings add up.
That's the big thing.

If we have, for example, a $3 million budget for Assistant Coaches, then you have to be smart about it.

You have 10 assistant coaches. So your average salary would be $300k.

With that, you can go a couple ways. One is to have the best, most experienced teachers on the field throughout your staff. To do that, you have to pay a premium for assistants and it means that you can't pay even the lower end of market rate for a P5 coordinator.

Alternately, you pay a premium for your coordinators and then you end up with only being able to pay $150k each for the 8 other assistants out of the $3M budget.

My strong preference is a bit of a hybrid of that. You hire a HC who is a guru on one side of the ball. The on-trend NFL model is that it's for offense and the HC handles your quarterbacks directly. Then, you go young and less expensive with your OC while paying a big premium for a veteran DC who would basically be an AHC with almost total authority over the defensive side. That leaves a bit more budget for paying the other assistants. After coordinator, the place to spend is on OL and Secondary plus someone who is going to be your recruiting coordinator.

Regardless of whether you can find that Riley/Kingsbury type guy to be your HC, you need to tilt the money toward the coordinators rather than the position coaches.

Last edited:
Back