What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 100 recruit killed

I didn't hear about this. I can't say I'm shocked, a lot of crazy mother****ers out there. God Bless him, his family and friends.

Damn, Tesuque is right near the Opera House & in a pretty high end area. Very cool little town with art galleries and restaurants. Have to wonder if this was accidental or suicide.

“The sheriff’s office said Montoya shot White around 3:30 a.m. during a fight at a party in Chupadero.”
In my defense, the article was updated since this morning. Earlier it didn't mention there was a shooter at all.
1596377065289.png1596377037076.png
What a waste.

I went to high school in New Mexico. Every pickup truck had a gun rack. It was not unusual for said rack to have a shotgun in it while parked in the school parking lot because someone was going dove hunting after school. Several times firearms were brandished/pointed at people during drunken teenage parties I attended. One of my friends "accidentally" killed himself with a handgun he believed was not loaded a year after graduation. These occurrences are insane, yet we just accept that children will have access to guns.

I went to high school in New Mexico. Every pickup truck had a gun rack. It was not unusual for said rack to have a shotgun in it while parked in the school parking lot because someone was going dove hunting after school. Several times firearms were brandished/pointed at people during drunken teenage parties I attended. One of my friends "accidentally" killed himself with a handgun he believed was not loaded a year after graduation. These occurrences are insane, yet we just accept that children will have access to guns.
In four years of hard partying at Cherry Creek, I never once saw or heard of a gun at a party. A friend of mine from Garden City Kansas said guns made regular appearances at parties. Sometimes they were pulled. Other times they made a late night appearance when everyone was good and drunk and wanted to shoot something. My friend’s car also had a large hole in the passenger floor where someone accidentally discharged a shotgun.

In four years of hard partying at Cherry Creek, I never once saw or heard of a gun at a party. A friend of mine from Garden City Kansas said guns made regular appearances at parties. Sometimes they were pulled. Other times they made a late night appearance when everyone was good and drunk and wanted to shoot something. My friend’s car also had a large hole in the passenger floor where someone accidentally discharged a shotgun.
I was at a high school party where my friend who was hosting (OL on our football team) pulled out his shotgun & was freaking out. Was able to talk him down from killing himself - he just blew a hole in his bedroom ceiling.

Moral of the story: roid rage, firearms, alcohol and shrooms don't mix well.

Sounds like where I grew up in Texas. It was more of an image thing, they didn't freak out and use it. Yes, a lot of necks down there. That place is long gone though, hell, I didn't hardly recognize it last time I was there.

an old high school buddy drove a pickup truck with a top and usually had a shotgun in it. He never brought it out that I remember, all of us knew he had them and nobody ever thought anything of it. We graduated 4 years before Columbine happened.

My first year of teaching was in Rifle Colorado. At that time a significant number of our students lived on the ranches in the surrounding areas. Many of the others were hunters with family members who worked outside of the town.

I don't know the portion but having one or more guns in the students vehicles (mostly trucks) in the parking lot was very common. One of my assignments was for students to give a sales presentation to the class. They were allowed to pick the product.

One student asked if he could use his new shotgun. I told him to check with the assistant principal but I had no issue. Assistant Principal just told me "check it to make sure it isn't loaded and keep it locked up in your office so nobody tries to steal it." Other than that nobody blinked an eye.

Used to be common that a lot of rural school districts in Colorado would close school for a number of days in the fall to coincide with the opening of hunting seasons since enough kids would have been gone anyways to make holding classes difficult.

I was at a high school party where my friend who was hosting (OL on our football team) pulled out his shotgun & was freaking out. Was able to talk him down from killing himself - he just blew a hole in his bedroom ceiling.

Jesus Christ man. Glad you could talk him down. I've seen plenty with roid rage that got ****ed up, not off of shrooms though. They weren't easy to deal with regardless.

My entire family is from GC (parents), that seems mostly accurate. In my 3 years of hard partying in Boulder, the occassional pistol or shotgun made an appearance, but from kids who lived in the mountains, not Gunbarrel. And some kids that lived on Jay Rd before the Res.

Last two are pretty good without the first two.

During HS four of us drove out to the country to play with guns. When Bob Patterson whizzed a bullet past my ear in an attempt to shoot a bumblebee, I retreated to the car.

In HS a dumb drunk kid was throwing a party at his house, and and was playing with his dad's pistol. I asked if it was loaded, and he pointed at my face and said, "What do you think?" and started laughing. I walked away. A few weeks later I found him out playing basketball (without the pistol of course) and settled it.

In HS a dumb drunk kid was throwing a party at his house, and and was playing with his dad's pistol. I asked if it was loaded, and he pointed at my face and said, "What do you think?" and started laughing. I walked away. A few weeks later I found him out playing basketball (without the pistol of course) and settled it.
to be clear, by "settled it" you mean you pointed a loaded gun at him, laughed and pulled the trigger?

My first year of teaching was in Rifle Colorado. At that time a significant number of our students lived on the ranches in the surrounding areas. Many of the others were hunters with family members who worked outside of the town.

I don't know the portion but having one or more guns in the students vehicles (mostly trucks) in the parking lot was very common. One of my assignments was for students to give a sales presentation to the class. They were allowed to pick the product.

One student asked if he could use his new shotgun. I told him to check with the assistant principal but I had no issue. Assistant Principal just told me "check it to make sure it isn't loaded and keep it locked up in your office so nobody tries to steal it." Other than that nobody blinked an eye.

Used to be common that a lot of rural school districts in Colorado would close school for a number of days in the fall to coincide with the opening of hunting seasons since enough kids would have been gone anyways to make holding classes difficult.
Oh, you're a teacher. Completely unrelated to this thread, but now that I know you're a teacher everything makes sense.

Oh, you're a teacher. Completely unrelated to this thread, but now that I know you're a teacher makes everything make sense.
Thankfully with all the stuff going on I'm now a retired teacher.

Did my years in the corporate world then decided to make less money but do something I wanted to get up every morning to do and became a teacher.

Thankfully with all the stuff going on I'm now a retired teacher.

Did my years in the corporate world then decided to make less money but do something I wanted to get up every morning to do and became a teacher.
Good for you, genuinely. You are solid, teach.
It just explains your long posts, just surface stuff. ;)

!5 years or so back, 2 Greeley PD officers supposedly got drunk and 1 shot a beer bottle off the other's head, at an outside party. This was only rumored, but both officers left the force and got jobs in Las Vegas (the cops are kind of like the Catholic Church that way).

While we're talking gun stories....I was at a house party in my early 20s, where some dudes showed up (uninvited, nobody knew them) and tried to steal the keg. The host pulled out a shotgun, attempting to compel these dudes to leave without the keg. One of them got mouthy ("It's a good day to die" were his exact words) and started walking towards the gun-toting host. Anyhow, Mr. Mouth ended up taking a shell directly to the knees, getting dropped like a damn used kleenex. His friends loaded him in a car (without the keg) and left.

Cops showed up, interviewed us and let us leave. The uninvited dudes showed back up at the house later that night and beat the host half to death. Crazy days.

This thread took a really interesting turn. Anyway, if you're interested to read more about the kid - see the linked article.

On kids growing up with guns stories, I still remember the day the town marshall pulled to side of the road and asked what me and my buddy were up to with our rifles.

We were somewhere between and 10 and 12 years old (probably closer to 12; I know we weren't 13 because that's when we got "real" rifles instead of the little 22s we had then).

Me: "We're on our way to the high school"

My buddy: "we're going to climb on the roof and shoot the prarie dogs that are tearing up the football field."

Town marshall: "that sounds like a good plan - make sure you're careful and your rifles aren't loaded when you're climbing up onto the roof."

The two of us: "yes sir."

Definitely a different time.

On kids growing up with guns stories, I still remember the day the town marshall pulled to side of the road and asked what me and my buddy were up to with our rifles.

We were somewhere between and 10 and 12 years old (probably closer to 12; I know we weren't 13 because that's when we got "real" rifles instead of the little 22s we had then).

Me: "We're on our way to the high school"

My buddy: "we're going to climb on the roof and shoot the prarie dogs that are tearing up the football field."

Town marshall: "that sounds like a good plan - make sure you're careful and your rifles aren't loaded when you're climbing up onto the roof."

The two of us: "yes sir."

Definitely a different time.

We would have gotten in trouble, because climbing on the HS roof was not allowed.

We generally were not allowed to do that either. But the prairie dogs really were a nuisance.
ipvg9.jpg

Back