What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Top 5 Quarterbacks Ever At C.U.

1. Hagan (as the NC team's qb, he goes here automatically)
2. Kordell
3. Koy
4. Bobby P
4a. Klatt
5. Sefo

If you're gonna put Bobby P up there for performing well in PART OF ONE SEASON, then you must also put in Kenny Johnson who as RS soph, played a full season and led the '71 Buffs to a #3 final ranking! That team beat #9 LSU in Baton Rouge and #6 Ohio State in Columbus; losing only to #1 NU and #2 OU Sooners.

That season was the finest pre-Mac season ever! If anything, a #3 ranking and beating LSU and OSU both on the road, should automatically qualify Johnson for No. 2 behind Hagan!

If you're gonna put Bobby P up there for performing well in PART OF ONE SEASON, then you must also put in Kenny Johnson who as RS soph, played a full season and led the '71 Buffs to a #3 final ranking! That team beat #9 LSU in Baton Rouge and #6 Ohio State in Columbus; losing only to #1 NU and #2 OU Sooners.

That season was the finest pre-Mac season ever! If anything, a #3 ranking and beating LSU and OSU both on the road, should automatically qualify Johnson for No. 2 behind Hagan!
Interesting argument. Did he ever throw the ball?

I wasn't alive in 1971. Can only talk about what I was on the planet for!

Frazier was better than Hagan. A lot of Hagan’s passing yards were due to the litany of NFL caliber receivers he had to throw to.

All time Option QB Ranking:

1. Fraizer
2. Holieway
3. Gill
4. Hagan
5. Dowis
Frazier was very close to committing to CU before Mac got a commitment from Detmer and then decided to change his offense!

Frazier was better than Hagan. A lot of Hagan’s passing yards were due to the litany of NFL caliber receivers he had to throw to.

1. Fraizer
2. Holieway
3. Gill
4. Hagan
5. Dowis
Frazier was better than Hagan but not by much. Yes Darian had better receivers but Tommy had better lines and he piled up a lot of stats against a much softer OOC schedule.

You list by the way is very regional. It ignores the WVU QBs. It also leaves of maybe the most annoying QB of all time, a guy who didn't run a wishbone version but was a great option QB in Tebow.

Frazier was better than Hagan but not by much. Yes Darian had better receivers but Tommy had better lines and he piled up a lot of stats against a much softer OOC schedule.

You list by the way is very regional. It ignores the WVU QBs. It also leaves of maybe the most annoying QB of all time, a guy who didn't run a wishbone version but was a great option QB in Tebow.
I don’t think that we are comparing apples to apples.

I am talking about the option QB’s that played under center in a wishbone style attack.

Tebow and the WVU kid (I can’t remember his name). Played out of the shotgun and probably should have another category.

I admit that the list is regional. I’ll chalk it up to Mountain Time Zone bias!

I know it. That is a sad part of our history
Mac saw what some defenses were doing to adjust to the wishbone derivative triple option attacks and thought that their era had passed.

Part of it was that he saw what our own defenses were doing against it in practice. What he didn't consider is that very few teams in the country had the kind of athletes on the defensive edges that we did and with our coaches seeing it every day they started to get good at reading the keys and shutting it down.

Remember that we had guys like Ted Johnson and Greg Biekert stuffing the fullback dive and Ronnie Woolfork and Chad Brown on the edges.

We also had Kordell coming in and Mac saw the future in having a passing QB with the added dimension of being a dynamic runner (he was only a couple decades early. What would Kordell do if he had played an RPO in high school and then come into a developed college system?)

Eventually defenses did catch up to it but had we taken Frazier to go with the athletes we had at the time it is easy to argue that we could have seriously contended for another couple NCs.

Mac saw what some defenses were doing to adjust to the wishbone derivative triple option attacks and thought that their era had passed.

Part of it was that he saw what our own defenses were doing against it in practice. What he didn't consider is that very few teams in the country had the kind of athletes on the defensive edges that we did and with our coaches seeing it every day they started to get good at reading the keys and shutting it down.

Remember that we had guys like Ted Johnson and Greg Biekert stuffing the fullback dive and Ronnie Woolfork and Chad Brown on the edges.

We also had Kordell coming in and Mac saw the future in having a passing QB with the added dimension of being a dynamic runner (he was only a couple decades early. What would Kordell do if he had played an RPO in high school and then come into a developed college system?)

Eventually defenses did catch up to it but had we taken Frazier to go with the athletes we had at the time it is easy to argue that we could have seriously contended for another couple NCs.

it is hard to fully appreciate how good we were back then.

1. Fraizer
2. Holieway
3. Gill
4. Hagan
5. Dowis
Jamelle Holieway was the absolute greatest True Option Wishbone QB ever! Much better than Frazier at actually running the option play in terms of when the pitch was made and other decision making. He is #1, Frazier and Hagan are 2A and 2B

Jamelle Holieway was the absolute greatest True Option Wishbone QB ever! Much better than Frazier at actually running the option play in terms of when the pitch was made and other decision making. He is #1, Frazier and Hagan are 2A and 2B
Fair point. Holieway’s technique and speed was 2nd to none. Frazier was so tough though! That is why I made him #1

1. Fraizer
2. Holieway
3. Gill
4. Hagan
5. Dowis
Any option QB Top Five list with Gill and Dowis, yet, without Jack Mildren, is FAKE!

All Mildren did was INVENT the position! The others just followed his lead.

At OU, he is considered the "Godfather of the Wishbone" and often considered as the greatest OU QB of all time! (Holieway was also an OU QB)

Last edited:
It drives me nuts that we do not see a slick option play within our game plan each week, considering that Hagan can coach it up.
We see the modern version, the RPO, run frequently! The "true triple option" is based upon a system that all facets of the Offense have to be trained in; can't just randomly "coach up" a single true option play!

You want triple option? Watch Air Force or the Naval Academy! Takes a special kid with years of running that offense at QB, for it to work.

We see the modern version, the RPO, run frequently! The "true triple option" is based upon a system that all facets of the Offense have to be trained in; can't just randomly "coach up" a single true option play!

You want triple option? Watch Air Force or the Naval Academy! Takes a special kid with years of running that offense at QB, for it to work.
I totally agree with you, but we could run a fly motion option type play, just ONE play that we practice often and run really well when it can be setup for. Not constant Option, just find the right moment to use a good version of an option play. I thought I saw somewhere there was an option that was ran by a motion player, not even just the QB.

Back