What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!
  • There has been an ongoing bug where club membership subscriptions have not been expiring. We have fixed this bug, and on October 7 users who do not have an active subscription will have their membership revoked, and you will be given the opportunity to renew. Please visit this post for details: https://allbuffs.com/threads/club-membership-privileges-not-being-revoked-when-yearly-subscription-ends.160161/

Travis Hunter Appreciation Thread

Was thinking this morning about Hunter in the NFL.

Whoever gets him is going to have to figure out how to use him on both sides of the ball.

Don't remember what the statistic is but a large percentage of NFL games are decided within one score, one possession.

Hunter is the kind of player on offense who can turn a simple crossing pattern or slant into points from anywhere on the field. His ball skills are so good that 50/50 balls aren't, they are in his favor.

Defensively he is a guy who can deny a top receiver his ability to impact a game. The QBs security blanket isn't available and he still is able to come off his man and force turnovers or kill drives.

With 17 games and the intensity of the game he isn't going to be able to play 130 snaps a game like he does now but I can see him playing 60% of defensive plays and 40% of offensive plays.

Crazy thing is that he is smart enough and has the work ethic that unlike most guys would allow him handle the mental part playing both ways.

Hunter is very likely a defensive star in the league. Will get a handful of offensive packages a game.
Hunter potential at WR is 🐐. I think he should be heavily developed as a wideout
This is where the issue comes in. He isn't just good at either side of the ball.

He is so good, so special, that a coach is going to have a hard time seeing him standing on the sidelines in critical moments.

You don't know when he is going to make a game changing play but you know that if he is out there eventually he is going to. Hard to see a team not figuring out how to use him both ways, and more than just some special packages.

The smarts it takes to learn both sides of the playbook, film study, academics, then go and perform at the level he does.... I'm not sure I'll see that again in my lifetime. I'm enjoying watching him do his thing like no other player I've watched.

The smarts it takes to learn both sides of the playbook, film study, academics, then go and perform at the level he does.... I'm not sure I'll see that again in my lifetime. I'm enjoying watching him do his thing like no other player I've watched.
Heck, it stopped being common for guys at large high schools to play both ways in the 80s. I don't expect to ever see this again at the major college level.

Cosmo Kramer Mind Blown GIF

Hunter potential at WR is 🐐. I think he should be heavily developed as a wideout
WR isn’t even his “natural” position, which is absolutely crazy to consider. Development at WR would probably make him a better corner. Hunter just thinks differently and has a broad perspective of things on the field. I’m not surprised now by many of his interceptions.

The secondary may be playing man, but I feel like the interception on Saturday, Travis was checking three receivers and watching the QB. Had he got an extra step or two on the jump, he’s taking that in stride for a pick six. The INT vs the sheep, he ran the route better than the receiver did.

WR isn’t even his “natural” position, which is absolutely crazy to consider. Development at WR would probably make him a better corner. Hunter just thinks differently and has a broad perspective of things on the field. I’m not surprised now by many of his interceptions.

The secondary may be playing man, but I feel like the interception on Saturday, Travis was checking three receivers and watching the QB. Had he got an extra step or two on the jump, he’s taking that in stride for a pick six. The INT vs the sheep, he ran the route better than the receiver did.
He does things at CB that are superhuman. At WR, he might "only" be elite.

The game dudes (Brock and the other guy) we're focused on what the team's W/L record needs to be for 12 to get the Heisman.

To me that's offensive to our team.

Let's just kick ass the rest of the year and leave no doubt..
It wasn't offensive, just reality. They clearly saw how special he is, but the reality is the Heisman is reserved for players on good teams.

He does things at CB that are superhuman. At WR, he might "only" be elite.
He does things at WR that are superhuman as well, he just does them so smoothly that it doesn't look like he is trying that hard.

Go back and look at his TD catches. One of them he catches the ball in the middle of the field. Most very good WRs take that for some YAC and end up with a big gain. TH turns on the speed and glides past the defense ending in the end zone.

Against NDSU he goes to the front corner of the end zone. The DB is all over him essentially tackling him before the ball gets there. Hunter falling down sideways reaches through the contact and snags the ball making it look easy. Very few pro WRs make that catch.

Look against Baylor. He makes a number of catches that most guys either don't get to or drop. His superior ball skills allow him to in the middle of a defense make secure catches at angles that most guys can't get to, some on quick throws that most WRs can't adjust to.

Arguably we have seen him make catches that with other guys would be drops or even popped into the air for potential INTs.

The only thing that we can be sure off is that we have never seen a player who makes the kind of impact that he does on both sides of the ball. He would arguably be the best in the country on either side alone.

How many all purpose players are getting 100 yard receiving games, getting interceptions, logging 120+ snaps
He could win 12 in a row
And the stats he is accumulating are significant because they are changing the outcome of games.

Very few of his stats are the hollow, run up the numbers type. A few receptions at the end of a couple of games but other than that he has been a game changer.

What?! Hunter is fast, but I did not think he was THAT fast! Hmm.
He’s one of those guys who is so smooth he doesn’t look as fast as he is…. Also, usually those guys are not the ones who are small-space shifty with great hips.

You’d think after two years, we’d no longer be learning more and more amazing things..

A true unicorn.

Back