What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC fires Clay Helton

Hopefully CU can capitalize on some transfer portal options that will inevitably come out of this

KD Nixon!

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

****ing astronauts, always ahead in the space/time continuum. Anyway, I'm leaving the GIF.

I don’t really get your point in this thread. I know it’s popular to **** on Bohn, but I still don’t really get your point about Klatt and I don’t understand this post. Bohn hired Luke Fickell at Cincinnati. Maybe the University of Colorado football job has a perception issue from outsiders that we don’t care to admit.
I agree with you on the CU job and our perception of it but Bohn never seemed like he had something in place before making a move here. Maybe he did at Cincinnati with Fickell (didn’t pay attention)

I don’t really get your point in this thread. I know it’s popular to **** on Bohn, but I still don’t really get your point about Klatt and I don’t understand this post. Bohn hired Luke Fickell at Cincinnati. Maybe the University of Colorado football job has a perception issue from outsiders that we don’t care to admit.
Two separate issues here: the first is Klatt’s tweet. To understand where I’m coming from, you need to know a little of the history that exists between Joel Klatt and Mike Bohn. Klatt played for Gary Barnett, and felt his firing (by Bohn) was unjustified. Klatt was a local radio guy at the time and he was highly critical of the move. Fast forward a few years and Hawkins is an unmitigated disaster, so Klatt is once again highly vocal about firing the guy. Which is fine, because we all were. Klatt is also very much in favor of hiring Jon Embree. Fast forward two more years and Klatt is beside himself over the lack of time given to Embree to put his system in place. Klatt has a platform, so he could say anything he wanted, and he didn’t hold back. Bohn, on the other hand, had to play it very close to the vest and couldn’t be nearly as vocal about the process as Klatt could be. Long story short, Klatt and Bohn have a history, and it’s not an amicable one. When Klatt comes out and says “If I’m the USC AD” (while tagging him in the tweet to make sure it gets read), and makes a bunch of suggestions about who he should hire, it’s disingenuous to say the least. He knows damn well who the USC AD is, and is playing like he’s a dispassionate observer to the entire thing. Like I said - it’s a chicken**** passive aggressive move on Klatts part because he knows Bohn can’t respond.
As for the food cart thing, you were saying that Bohn should have a pretty good idea of who he wants to hire and have already garnered interest before making the move to fire Helton. Based on his history here, that’s not how he operates.
Hope that clears it up.

I agree with you on the CU job and our perception of it but Bohn never seemed like he had something in place before making a move here. Maybe he did at Cincinnati with Fickell (didn’t pay attention)
I don't think that's correct. If I remember right, he had Hawkins as lined up as it's possible to get a candidate at CU.

It of course turned into a terrible hire, and I suspect that he, the university, or both learned the wrong lesson.

I don't think that's correct. If I remember right, he had Hawkins as lined up as it's possible to get a candidate at CU.

It of course turned into a terrible hire, and I suspect that he, the university, or both learned the wrong lesson.
Did he? I guess it’s been long enough that I can’t remember clearly. For the other hires, I remember it being a painfully drawn out process

Two separate issues here: the first is Klatt’s tweet. To understand where I’m coming from, you need to know a little of the history that exists between Joel Klatt and Mike Bohn. Klatt played for Gary Barnett, and felt his firing (by Bohn) was unjustified. Klatt was a local radio guy at the time and he was highly critical of the move. Fast forward a few years and Hawkins is an unmitigated disaster, so Klatt is once again highly vocal about firing the guy. Which is fine, because we all were. Klatt is also very much in favor of hiring Jon Embree. Fast forward two more years and Klatt is beside himself over the lack of time given to Embree to put his system in place. Klatt has a platform, so he could say anything he wanted, and he didn’t hold back. Bohn, on the other hand, had to play it very close to the vest and couldn’t be nearly as vocal about the process as Klatt could be. Long story short, Klatt and Bohn have a history, and it’s not an amicable one. When Klatt comes out and says “If I’m the USC AD” (while tagging him in the tweet to make sure it gets read), and makes a bunch of suggestions about who he should hire, it’s disingenuous to say the least. He knows damn well who the USC AD is, and is playing like he’s a dispassionate observer to the entire thing. Like I said - it’s a chicken**** passive aggressive move on Klatts part because he knows Bohn can’t respond.
As for the food cart thing, you were saying that Bohn should have a pretty good idea of who he wants to hire and have already garnered interest before making the move to fire Helton. Based on his history here, that’s not how he operates.
Hope that clears it up.
It definitely clears up what you were saying. I disagree with pretty much everything you said (outside of the factual nature of the timeline)

Did he? I guess it’s been long enough that I can’t remember clearly. For the other hires, I remember it being a painfully drawn out process
I recall that he almost immediately said that he "had someone in mind," and Hawkins got named within a few weeks.

It wasn't bang - bang, but it was about as fast as possible within the CU bureaucracy.

I know it's easy to forget, but many, many pundits thought Dan Hawkins was the A+, home-run hire of that offseason. He was highly thought of and highly sought after.

On the other hand, many of them were also only mildly impressed with Luke Fickell, giving him lukewarm praise:

I think Fickell being a success is more of an outlier given Bohn's hire of Hawkins, Embree, and MM than anything to do with Bohn's (in)ability to sell the CU program.

With that said:

I know it's easy to forget, but many, many pundits thought Dan Hawkins was the A+, home-run hire of that offseason. He was highly thought of and highly sought after.

On the other hand, many of them were also only mildly impressed with Luke Fickell, giving him lukewarm praise:

I think Fickell being a success is more of an outlier given Bohn's hire of Hawkins, Embree, and MM than anything to do with Bohn's (in)ability to sell the CU program.

With that said:

Maybe, but I don’t really put the Embree fiasco on Bohn. Sure he officially made the hire but was essentially forced into it. MM, while underwhelming, was not a bad hire. He rebuilt the foundation and gave us the best season we’ve had in 20 years. There’s just a lot of hindsight on this board about Bohn and since leaving CU he got the AD job at Cincinnati and hired the hottest coaching candidate on the market, and proceeded to get the AD job at one of the most prestigious athletic programs in the country. Maybe, just maybe, the perception of Bohn on AllBuffs dot com is a bit jaded and biased?

Also, NS keeps calling Klatt chicken **** for some reason and dreaming up this narrative that somehow Klatt is trolling Bohn when all he did was tweet at him that he should make a handful of elite coaches say no before moving on, something everyone agrees with. Of course, this board has a history of hating Klatt for his outspoken negative comments about the program at the time, so shouldn’t come as a surprise.

With that said:

I think it’s just because they are a private school so they don’t need to.

since leaving CU he got the AD job at Cincinnati and hired the hottest coaching candidate on the market
I guess I didn't make my point- I think that's revisionist history. Fickell was seen as an ok hire at the time, but he certainly wasn't the hottest coaching candidate on the market. PJ Fleck, Rhule, and to a certain extent Brohm were all viewed as hotter candidates than Fickell Those articles I linked to had him as a middle of the pack hire.

I guess I didn't make my point- I think that's revisionist history. Fickell was seen as an ok hire at the time, but he certainly wasn't the hottest coaching candidate on the market. PJ Fleck, Rhule, and to a certain extent Brohm were all viewed as hotter candidates than Fickell Those articles I linked to had him as a middle of the pack hire.
Yeah, I'm saying he made a hire that turned out to be exceptional and completely changed that program and AD. I'm not suggesting that he's some kind of uber salesman, or even some kind of elite, alpha AD, but he has done fairly well since leaving CU. I'm sure when he hires James Franklin or Urban Meyer this board will chalk it up to the USC job and give zero credit to Bohn.

Bohn also hired Tad Boyle. He’s not the total dumpster fire that many here would paint him as, but t can’t be denied that his time at CU was not the greatest in terms of football success.
And if you can’t see how Klatt is clearly trolling Bohn, well, then I guess I can’t make it any clearer to you. The two have known each other for 15+ years, and Klatt pretends he doesn’t know the guys name? That’s some next level jilted ex-girlfriend **** right there.

Bohn also hired Tad Boyle. He’s not the total dumpster fire that many here would paint him as, but t can’t be denied that his time at CU was not the greatest in terms of football success.
And if you can’t see how Klatt is clearly trolling Bohn, well, then I guess I can’t make it any clearer to you. The two have known each other for 15+ years, and Klatt pretends he doesn’t know the guys name? That’s some next level jilted ex-girlfriend **** right there.

Weird take. Klatt's tweets are for the public--who surely don't know who Mike Bohn is.

So what? I am starting to believe you don't know what trolling means.

Bohn lucked into Luke Fickell at Cincinnati-He willingly went back to being DC at tOSU after they hired Urban, but I don't think Cincy was the first job of that type that his name had come in contact with. Southern Cal could do a lot worse than him.

I’m going to wait and hear from @buffedup has to say about what Bohn might be thinking before jumping to conclusions.
You’ve obviously got me mixed up with someone else.

Although, I’ve got my own opinions on Mike Bohn. Clearly, he is a legendary AD making the right decisions to bring championship football back to the Coliseum.

As for who he might be considering for HC, it is hard to say. The coaching market can be Fickell.

Oh and that Klatt guy is a douche.

Fight On!!!

1. He's a successful coach that will elevate the Pac's status.

2. I find him easy to hate. Nothing more frustrating than a likable coach at a school you love to despise.

3. A chance to exert a little alpha dominance on another school I hate. "We want your coach, so...well, we're just going to take him."
I think James Franklin would KILL IT at USC. He's got the personality (and I'm sure the Keegan Michael Key impression helps here lol) to flourish at a place like that.

Bohn lucked into Luke Fickell at Cincinnati-He willingly went back to being DC at tOSU after they hired Urban, but I don't think Cincy was the first job of that type that his name had come in contact with. Southern Cal could do a lot worse than him.
Why does that mean he lucked into Fickell? He did that for like 2-3 years until Bohn hired him at Cincy

You’ve obviously got me mixed up with someone else.

Although, I’ve got my own opinions on Mike Bohn. Clearly, he is a legendary AD making the right decisions to bring championship football back to the Coliseum.

As for who he might be considering for HC, it is hard to say. The coaching market can be Fickell.

Oh and that Klatt guy is a douche.

Fight On!!!
That's the funniest thing I've read on Allbuffs in a month! Well played.

I think James Franklin would KILL IT at USC. He's got the personality (and I'm sure the Keegan Michael Key impression helps here lol) to flourish at a place like that.
Agreed. I think he would clean up on recruiting in So Cal, which is what USC should always be doing.

Back