What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC fires Clay Helton

I think it will be James Franklin. He put that small buyout that decreases each year into his contract extension for a reason. He'd recruit at an elite level for USC immediately and it will reinvigorate the conference.

Fans still want Urban. That's not realistic. Smart money is on Franklin and he would be a great choice.

Why does that mean he lucked into Fickell? He did that for like 2-3 years until Bohn hired him at Cincy
Anything positive is luck, anything negative is completely 100% one guy's fault.

There's plenty of legitimate criticisms of Bohn, but there is a lot more blind hate with zero reason. Kind of like the Anti-Tad crowd. I tend to ignore those people.

Why does that mean he lucked into Fickell? He did that for like 2-3 years until Bohn hired him at Cincy

His list of hires means he lucked into Fickell and Boyle for that matter. There are a lot more of these types of names than the successes on his resume-

Dan Hawkins
Jon Embree (Buffs4Life had their paws all over that search-but Bohn was still the AD)
Kathy McConnell-Miller (flopped as WBB coach)
Linda Lappe (see the above)
John Brannen (fired for NCAA issues at Cincinnati)
Tommy Tuberville (Quit)
Agreed. I think he would clean up on recruiting in So Cal, which is what USC should always be doing.

He'd scare me there-but that's about it. I think Bill O'Brien could there too. The guy went 15-9 in two seasons at Penn State post-Sandusky.

Regarding Bohn and his hires, and not trying to defend but rather bring some perspective:
  1. When Bohn hired Hawkins, many (most?) people around the football world thought it was a solid hire. Oops
  2. The delay in firing Hawkins was from pressure from higher ups. Bohn wanted to fire a year earlier. The result added to the devastation of CU football, especially recruiting.
  3. Bohn wanted to hire McElwain instead of Embree, but pressure from above told him Embree. I think McElwain would have been at least decent at CU, surely better than Embree. McElwain turned out very good at CSU, but who knows at CU
  4. When hiring MM I think at that, at that point, it was the difference between who CU WANTED to hire vs who CU COULD hire. In our position back then, choices were limited. First choice was Butch Jones, but that turned unexpectedly. I think MM was the better choice in hindsight, though who knows.
With USC, the difference between who they WANT to hire and who they CAN hire is much less. They, obviously, will have a better pool of candidates to choose from

Go Buffs!

Regarding Bohn and his hires, and not trying to defend but rather bring some perspective:
  1. When Bohn hired Hawkins, many (most?) people around the football world thought it was a solid hire. Oops
  2. The delay in firing Hawkins was from pressure from higher ups. Bohn wanted to fire a year earlier. The result added to the devastation of CU football, especially recruiting.
  3. Bohn wanted to hire McElwain instead of Embree, but pressure from above told him Embree. I think McElwain would have been at least decent at CU, surely better than Embree. McElwain turned out very good at CSU, but who knows at CU
  4. When hiring MM I think at that, at that point, it was the difference between who CU WANTED to hire vs who CU COULD hire. In our position back then, choices were limited. First choice was Butch Jones, but that turned unexpectedly. I think MM was the better choice in hindsight, though who knows.
With USC, the difference between who they WANT to hire and who they CAN hire is much less. They, obviously, will have a better pool of candidates to choose from

Go Buffs!
McElwain wouldn't have lasted long at CU one way or another.

His list of hires means he lucked into Fickell and Boyle for that matter. There are a lot more of these types of names than the successes on his resume-

Dan Hawkins
Jon Embree (Buffs4Life had their paws all over that search-but Bohn was still the AD)
Kathy McConnell-Miller (flopped as WBB coach)
Linda Lappe (see the above)
John Brannen (fired for NCAA issues at Cincinnati)
Tommy Tuberville (Quit)

He'd scare me there-but that's about it. I think Bill O'Brien could there too. The guy went 15-9 in two seasons at Penn State post-Sandusky.
Fickell was a damn good hire. It's about all that's positive on his resume for football. Didn't make a hire at SDSU. At Idaho, he hired Tom Cable. We know what happened at CU with how poorly he handled the GB firing and then the poor hires that followed.

Better track record for MBB. Terrible handling of Ricardo. Mediocre hire of Bzdelik. Homerun with Tad. At Cincy, Brannen was a terrible hire to replace Cronin.

I don't give Bohn credit for being good or bad.

The Hawkins decision was his but it was also under the heavy influence of some major donors. Hawkins was the hot candidate at the time and if Bohn hadn't hired him there were more than one other major conference schools who would have.

Bohn wanted to fire Hawkins, was ready to do it, and was forced not to extending Hawkins into the next season.

After Hawkins was fired Bohn was given virtually no money to work with and again a lot of pressure from above. He was pretty well stuck with Embree.

Bohn is in a decision making position but historically he has been best at making the decisions in the way that his bosses want them made, he is the perfect front man but so far has not been the guy to make the decisions and be responsible for them.

Historically SC has been one of those schools where ADs have been expected to listen to and keep happy the big donors. He fits that role to a tee.

Most of us do, but most of the local sports radio guys targeted Born.
They felt Bohn did GB wrong and then failed to involve those who brought championship football to Boulder when making the Hawkins hire. All true. If you go that route, you better damn well win.

The point about Klatt isn’t whether or not he had animosity toward Bohn, but rather why him tweeting directly at him with legitimate names to consider for the job is considered chicken **** and/or trolling

Interesting article on the top jobs as voted by coaches and AD staffers. Sub required.

Couldn't get past the paywall but if I were a college coach looking at moving up I would avoid Alabama strongly.

Yes they have everything going for them but how often does someone successfully follow a coach like Saban. Just look at the string of coaches who tried to follow The Bear when he retired. It took until Saban to find one who succeeded.

The only place the program has to go is down and the fans aren't going to be happy with that.

Going to point out that Northwestern came in #18 and the 4th best in the B1G
Job security, location and recruiting (like Stanford, they can go into anyone's backyard & poach certain types of kids). It's a damn good job despite not being at the top of the pay scale or having a good path to a natty.

Most of us do, but most of the local sports radio guys targeted Born.
And the Longhorns targeted Klatt.
1631756428675.png

Go Buffs!
I think ultimately it was DBT who made the call to retain Hawkins.

Fickell was a damn good hire. It's about all that's positive on his resume for football. Didn't make a hire at SDSU. At Idaho, he hired Tom Cable. We know what happened at CU with how poorly he handled the GB firing and then the poor hires that followed.

Better track record for MBB. Terrible handling of Ricardo. Mediocre hire of Bzdelik. Homerun with Tad. At Cincy, Brannen was a terrible hire to replace Cronin.
Klatt said this when he talked to Stink/Evans today about USC-Fickell was the DC at tOSU when he got the Cincy job. Not like you have to run some big national search if you're the AD at Cincy to go get a guy like him-no disrespect to Fickell. When Tuberville left, Fickell was literally the first name a lot of people who cover the sport threw out. In terms of his overall record, I gave you one failure at Cincy in football, and he had two here (three if you want to count FHCMM-I did not because I think he did what he was brought here to do).
I don't give Bohn credit for being good or bad.

The Hawkins decision was his but it was also under the heavy influence of some major donors. Hawkins was the hot candidate at the time and if Bohn hadn't hired him there were more than one other major conference schools who would have.

Bohn wanted to fire Hawkins, was ready to do it, and was forced not to extending Hawkins into the next season.

After Hawkins was fired Bohn was given virtually no money to work with and again a lot of pressure from above. He was pretty well stuck with Embree.

Bohn is in a decision making position but historically he has been best at making the decisions in the way that his bosses want them made, he is the perfect front man but so far has not been the guy to make the decisions and be responsible for them.

Historically SC has been one of those schools where ADs have been expected to listen to and keep happy the big donors. He fits that role to a tee.

Klatt talks a bit about USC here including Bohn

Jeff Hafley would be a great fit for them. He was a hell of a recruiter as an assistant at tOSU. I see a disciplined football team that doesn't shoot itself in the foot much when I watch Boston College-you definitely can't say that about the guy he took over for in Chestnut Hill.

Mike Bohn seemed like a very good man who did care about CU and Boulder when he was here-but his track record of hires isn't good. Couple that with USC's weird penchant for only hiring people with ties to USC since Carroll left and I fully expect them to wind up settling for like Jack Del Rio or somebody like him.

Last edited:
Why was Fickell considered some no brainer just because he was tOSU’s DC? Lots of coordinators from big time programs get hired and fail.

I like Klatt a lot but feels like most people here who hold a grudge and don’t want to give him credit

Why was Fickell considered some no brainer just because he was tOSU’s DC? Lots of coordinators from big time programs get hired and fail.

I like Klatt a lot but feels like most people here who hold a grudge and don’t want to give him credit

Because he had that one year as the interim in Columbus after Tressel would be my guess.

Go Buffs!
I See You Good Job GIF by Luvvie Ajayi Jones

Yeah, does Riley jump for USC or the NFL? Are you thinking Dan Mullen could leave Florida? Definitely think Orgeron could be out at LSU. Obviously if USC poaches a current college coach, there could be a pretty big trickle down effect
I think you're seeing the same silver lining that I am in having a no name coach.

it’s pretty funny when people think Hawkins wasn’t a good hire at the time. He could’ve had any current PAC-12 job minus USC and his clownishness, which everyone grew to hate, seemed to make him even better of a fit at Boulder. Hiring his OC at Boise instead of Hawkins only makes sense in hindsight.

If Bohn makes a hire that makes as much sense as Hawkins, it probably works out for USC. Franklin, Fickell, Riley all make sense. Stoops, Bienemy, O’Brien, and Peterson would all make reasonable plan Bs. Bohn would really have to f things up to end up with a Del Rio, Fisher, or Brennan.

actually NVM

it’s pretty funny when people think Hawkins wasn’t a good hire at the time. He could’ve had any current PAC-12 job minus USC and his clownishness, which everyone grew to hate, seemed to make him even better of a fit at Boulder. Hiring his OC at Boise instead of Hawkins only makes sense in hindsight.

If Bohn makes a hire that makes as much sense as Hawkins, it probably works out for USC. Franklin, Fickell, Riley all make sense. Stoops, Bienemy, O’Brien, and Peterson would all make reasonable plan Bs. Bohn would really have to f things up to end up with a Del Rio, Fisher, or Brennan.
I agree. At the time it seemed like a great hire. I think nationally (because we were still relevant) most agreed. And then the puppies peed on the rug.

3. Bohn wanted to hire McElwain instead of Embree…
Tlyer Hansen told me this sitting at the bar in the Lazy Dog watching NFL playoffs after the Embree announcement. He seemed cool on Embree too, reading the tea leaves of the conversation Tlyer seemed to have wanted McElwain as well. Only conversation I ever had with any CU athlete in my years on campus.

Here‘s the thing about Hawkins. He was a hot commodity on the surface. His name was in the mix for multiple high profile jobs back then, including Norte Dame. But somehow, nobody ended up hiring him after they did their due diligence.

Why was that?

I don’t know, but this was brought up as a concern when we hired Hawkins. And he turned out to be a total disaster.

Here‘s the thing about Hawkins. He was a hot commodity on the surface. His name was in the mix for multiple high profile jobs back then, including Norte Dame. But somehow, nobody ended up hiring him after they did their due diligence.

Why was that?

I don’t know, but this was brought up as a concern when we hired Hawkins. And he turned out to be a total disaster.

The defense of the Hawkins hire only makes sense if you think an AD is not supposed to do anything other than surface depth analysis when hiring a football coach.

Back