What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

USC fires Clay Helton

I don’t think pulling a G5 coach like Fickel makes the kind of splash that tips the balance of eyeballs from SEC/Big10 to USC/PAC12.

The Trojans need to go take a scalp and poach a big name.
Their boosters will demand this.

They see themselves as being above doing what other schools do.

I don’t think pulling a G5 coach like Fickel makes the kind of splash that tips the balance of eyeballs from SEC/Big10 to USC/PAC12.

The Trojans need to go take a scalp and poach a big name.
I think you’re right but Fickell is a pretty big name at this point. Probably the top candidate for almost any job in the country outside one of the top established guys. I don’t know much about his personality, though. I truly believe they need a super charismatic self promoter.

I think I’d go after Sciano.

I believe that a lot of USC folk think it’s the kind of program that should be able to attract the next Saban, Dabo, or Kelly (ie a Lincoln Riley or a Ryan Day) but it just isn’t. It’s in the wrong conference and at the end of the day doesn’t have the culture and will not provide the consistent support.

I’ll stop short of saying it’s a crap job but it isn’t the kind of job that going to attract the proven top middle age HC talent it would need to become a consistent national power.

Least surprising take in the whole thread.

I think you’re right but Fickell is a pretty big name at this point. Probably the top candidate for almost any job in the country outside one of the top established guys. I don’t know much about his personality, though. I truly believe they need a super charismatic self promoter.
Agreed, but I believe they should aim even higher.

1. Do what aTm did with Jimbo in order to get Lincoln Riley. Extreme long shot, but basically show him what LA has to offer and tell him to name his price.
2. See how this season unfolds for Urban. He may be looking for a way back to CFB if this gets ugly.
3. James Franklin- I think this is the most obtainable of the three.

I look at the next few years as absolutely pivotal in determining the longterm path of CFB going forward. The Pac and USC need to establish that we are every bit as good as these other conferences and take football just as seriously. Media contracts depend on it.

Agreed, but I believe they should aim even higher.

1. Do what aTm did with Jimbo in order to get Lincoln Riley. Extreme long shot, but basically show him what LA has to offer and tell him to name his price.
2. See how this season unfolds for Urban. He may be looking for a way back to CFB if this gets ugly.
3. James Franklin- I think this is the most obtainable of the three.

I look at the next few years as absolutely pivotal in determining the longterm path of CFB going forward. The Pac and USC need to establish that we are every bit as good as these other conferences and take football just as seriously. Media contracts depend on it.
If the Pac 12 could keep Cristobal at Oregon and poach Franklin or Riley, or pull Urban back in, that would go a long way to getting the conference back to relevance

if I'm mining the data correctly, USC hasn't sold out a game since 2017. Realize that many on Allbuffs place USC more prominently in the class of blue bloods than I do, but I genuinely think that sort of lackluster fan support could be a negative in recruiting a top tier coach.

if I'm mining the data correctly, USC hasn't sold out a game since 2017. Realize that many on Allbuffs place USC more prominently in the class of blue bloods than I do, but I genuinely think that sort of lackluster fan support could be a negative in recruiting a top tier coach.
I think it's understood that if they win, the fans will be back.

Despite lackluster (relative to their history) on-field results, they have still been recently ranked as the most desirable program in the nation.

All they have to do is drive the kids 20 minutes to the beach and they will forget about that negative recruiting.

the only viable thing I can see being used against USC is for those kids that are studs but a little reserved and want to go to that football factory without a ton of distractions.

fan support for a school that has hated their coach and had some ****ty seasons isn’t really relevant.

It will be interesting to see which other jobs come open. LSU? Oklahoma? Florida?
Yeah, does Riley jump for USC or the NFL? Are you thinking Dan Mullen could leave Florida? Definitely think Orgeron could be out at LSU. Obviously if USC poaches a current college coach, there could be a pretty big trickle down effect

All they have to do is drive the kids 20 minutes to the beach and they will forget about that negative recruiting.

the only viable thing I can see being used against USC is for those kids that are studs but a little reserved and want to go to that football factory without a ton of distractions.

fan support for a school that has hated their coach and had some ****ty seasons isn’t really relevant.
I agree with most everything you said, but I don't think it's accurate to suggest their fan support issues are limited to one "hate coach" with "some ****ty seasons".
  • last sellout was 2017 and they only sold out two games that year.
  • only two sellouts in 2016
  • none in 2015
  • one in 2014 (Notre Dame)
  • three in 2013 (I stopped there)
context:
  • Memorial stadium was renovated in 2018, lowering capacity from 93k to 77.5k
    • think about that -- they have a stadium that only holds 77.5k people (20th largest in CFB), in the 2nd largest city / metro area in the US, and can't pack it with any consistency.
  • 2017 was a championship year
I rag on Coloradans a fair amount for having a very strong "pro sports" lean, but California seems to take that to an entirely different level

Last edited:
I agree with most everything you said, but I don't think it's accurate to suggest their fan support issues are limited to one "hate coach" with "some ****ty seasons".
  • none in 2015
context:
    • think about that -- they have a stadium that only holds 77.5k people (2oth largest in CFB), in the 2nd largest city / metro area in the US, and can't pack it with any consistency.
I rag on Coloradans a fair amount for having a very strong "pro sports" lean, but California seems to take that to an entirely different level
Southern California isn’t a pro sports area either. Sure, they support the Dodgers awhen they’re winning, but they’ve never supported athletics at any level unless they’re winning.

The point w USC is that, they are still well ahead of the Rams and Chargers in popularity in the LA market and when they are good and nationally relevant, they get all the fan support they need.

• none in 2015
context:
    • think about that -- they have a stadium that only holds 77.5k people (2oth largest in CFB), in the 2nd largest city / metro area in the US, and can't pack it with any consistency.
Yes what makes usc so attractive also hurts their attendance sometimes but it doesn’t really matter.

• none in 2015
context:
    • think about that -- they have a stadium that only holds 77.5k people (20th largest in CFB), in the 2nd largest city / metro area in the US, and can't pack it with any consistency.
Especially when you consider that there was no pro football in LA during that time period

.... when they are good and nationally relevant, they get all the fan support they need.
2004 - MNC year prior to being vacated: one sellout (Notre Dame)
2003 - MNC year: one sellout (UCLA)

I agree with the rest of your points.

I don't claim certain knowledge here -- maybe you guys are right and USC is really one of the most loved and supported programs in the country despite not drawing a crowd. I guess we'll find out over the next five years.

I see a lot of similarities between USC and Texas, with Florida State now on the same path.
The programs of yesteryear. Still attract big time recruits but can’t get back to consistent relevance/success.

I see a lot of similarities between USC and Texas, with Florida State now on the same path.
The programs of yesteryear. Still attract big time recruits but can’t get back to consistent relevance/success.
I actually didn't realize Texas was struggling with fan support, but yeah, looks like they haven't sold out a home game since 2018.

this is not correct. the coliseum has a total capacity of over 92k. except for special games, they cap the attendance at like 77k and consider that a sellout. all usc home games will be sold out at the 77k level this season.

ucla has basically the same kind of thing at the rose bowl, which holds far more than what they consider a sellout.

I actually didn't realize Texas was struggling with fan support, but yeah, looks like they haven't sold out a home game since 2018.
Since you’re on this path, you should go through and look at other good to great programs and share their sellout history.

I assume Bama, Clemson, Ohio State and Oklahoma have all been selling out routinely, but maybe not? Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State? Florida, Georgia, Auburn?

My theory is that the increasing costs of attending, lack of parity over the last 5-10 years, and significantly better product on TV might have something to do with decreasing attendance numbers across the board, not just in Pac 12 land

this is not correct. the coliseum has a total capacity of over 92k. except for special games, they cap the attendance at like 77k and consider that a sellout. all usc home games will be sold out at the 77k level this season.

ucla has basically the same kind of thing at the rose bowl, which holds far more than what they consider a sellout.
ok, I'm following everything you posted except, which part of my post is incorrect?

Right, they put those big dopey retired jerseys under the arches at the horseshoe end of the stadium to reduce capacity... It always looks sorta weird.

Southern California isn’t a pro sports area either. Sure, they support the Dodgers awhen they’re winning, but they’ve never supported athletics at any level unless they’re winning.

The point w USC is that, they are still well ahead of the Rams and Chargers in popularity in the LA market and when they are good and nationally relevant, they get all the fan support they need.
this is also very wrong. the Dodgers lead mlb in attendance, pretty much every year.

the lakers are and will always be a very tough ticket to get.

usc sells out. ucla sells out.

the rams and chargers and angels are the outliers and do not always get as many fans. but, as you note, if they win, the fans will come.

Interesting, but I’m not focusing as much on the attendance issue as the drop off in success on the field and the fades in national rankings. Though both issues are linked for sure.

Back