What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

We now take you to USC, UA, Okie Lite, Auburn, Da U, KANSAS, & NC State

I'm just gonna say it: just what the **** are the FBI and the U.S. Attorney's Office in the SDNY doing wasting resources on this investigation? Jesus Christ, I could personally point them to tens of bankers who need to be investigated and prosecuted and they're bringing this sort of bull****? Weak ****ing sauce.

Here's a true story about your law enforcement professionals: several years ago I represented a guy charged along with others in a trademark counterfeiting case involving clothing. Thing is, all of them were Lebanese and spoke Arabic . . . and there was a wiretap. This means that within 5 years of 9-11, the FBI was paying Arabic speakers to listen to a wiretap intended to investigate whether these guys were selling fake Polo shirts. ****ing idiots!

[/rant]

You have to love the justice system. One of my favorites from a couple of years ago (if one of my clients steals more than $5000, they go to jail):

Politically connected businessman gets probation for writing $82 million in bad checks
Saquib Khan blamed the fraud on Hurricane Sandy, saying the 2012 superstorm interrupted his credit line and cash flow.
BY JOHN MARZULLI NEW YORK DAILY NEWS Tuesday, November 4, 2014, 2:33 PM A A A
SHARE THIS URL
Saquib Khan was sentenced to probation Tuesday for the $82 million fraud.
JOHN MARZULLI
Saquib Khan was sentenced to probation Tuesday for the $82 million fraud.
A politically connected Staten Island businessman who blamed Hurricane Sandy for his writing $82 million in bad checks was sentenced Tuesday to probation.
Federal Judge Raymond Dearie cited Saquib Khan's standing and good works in the community in the decision not to follow the sentencing guidelines and send him to prison for up to 78 months. Khan operates a company that supplies gas stations with cigarettes and other grocery products.
Khan’s lawyers submitted letters from State Sen. Diane Savino and former U.S. Homeland Security Special Agent in Charge Martin Ficke praising his help fostering cooperation between the Muslim community and law enforcement after 9/11.
The 2012 superstorm slammed Khan’s company by shutting down gas stations and other vendors, which interrupted the businessman’s credit line and cash flow.

Now do people believe those of us who have been saying that basketball recruiting is incredibly dirty and that landing in-demand players often means being willing to engage in payoffs through shoe companies and street agents who masquerade as AAU coaches?

So I haven't seen any actual Nike Execs implicated. Did I miss something?

Other defendants include Jonathan Brad Augustine, the president of the nonprofit The League Initiative; Merl Code, the head of Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League as of 2013; and Christian Dawkins, a former sports agent who was reportedly fired in May after being found to have charged $42,000 in Uber rides on an NBA player's credit card. Gatto and other defendants are accused of using apparent payments to the nonprofits as a way to conceal bribes paid to players and their families.

Now do people believe those of us who have been saying that basketball recruiting is incredibly dirty and that landing in-demand players often means being willing to engage in payoffs through shoe companies and street agents who masquerade as AAU coaches?
No, I don't believe it....

It makes me far more appreciative of the work Tad does.

The news is hitting Western U pretty hard...
giphy.gif

I've always acknowledged that it exists to some level, but was rather thinking of isolated occasions. I thought shoes companies were in general, more of a way to get introduced to a girl you want to take home - the intro helps a lot, but it's still your job to seal the deal. I guess I was naive and holding on to a belief that men upheld laws and rules better......not sure why I guess..... Perhaps I'm about to see how pervasive the problem is.

While disappointing, and also while I agree with BuffNYC about feds being involved, I do find it refreshing to see problems being punished, since the NCAA does absolutely nothing but oversee monies. Of course, this does not fix any of the many other problems with college sports............

Looking for more than that in terms of Nike blood. Need that guy from 2013 to cop a plea and implicate the money guys at Nike.

Last edited:

I heard about the dirty world from a person who coached younger AAU kids, I think it was 2006. I haven't said much here other than in private conversations.

I have been shaking my head when you and some others have tried to educate the masses.

The basketball shoe business has been public knowledge for years. There was a 30 for 30 that came out in 2011 called "Sole Man" about Sonny Vaccaro who's the Godfather of this mess.

It's just funny that the feds ran out of ideas and decided to go down this rabbit hole. I bet that the overall business doesn't change because it's too big now. Best we can hope for is some penalties for Zona.

So how deep does this go? How many folks at places like UCLA, Kansas, etc are sweating bullets right now?

My son played for a club team. They were not sponsored by any shoe company. Watching from the outside how much those shoe companies put into 13U and 14U bball was pretty eye opening. I can only imagine what happens at the 17U level...

We could learn a lot from soccer academies overseas.

I've always acknowledged that it exists to some level, but was rather thinking of isolated occasions. I thought shoes companies were in general, more of a way to get introduced to a girl you want to take home - the intro helps a lot, but it's still your job to seal the deal. I guess I was naive and holding on to a belief that men upheld laws and rules better......not sure why I guess..... Perhaps I'm about to see how pervasive the problem is.

While disappointing, and also while I agree with BuffNYC about feds being involved, I do find it refreshing to see problems being punished, since the NCAA does absolutely nothing but oversee monies. Of course, this does not fix any of the many other problems with college sports............

I can't help but notice none of the blue bloods have been mentioned... .yet. Considering the players they sign on an annual basis they probably laugh at the amount of money these lesser programs are getting busted for. The rich will just get richer after punishment is handed down.

I admit I'd love to see both UA and UCLA get absolutely hammered over this. Less likely with UCLA I suppose, but I suspect there's more to this story than just four assistant coaches.

I can't help but notice none of the blue bloods have been mentioned... .yet. Considering the players they sign on an annual basis they probably laugh at the amount of money these lesser programs are getting busted for. The rich will just get richer after punishment is handed down.
I am sure the blue bloods will get a quiet "keep it out of sight" communique, and the mid-tier programs will get the brunt of the action "to protect the student-athlete"

Wonder how deep they want to go. I'm sure there is enough money moving around to keep quite a few FBI agents busy if they cared.

Also have no problem with Feds being involved. All of these are publicly traded companies doing business in the US. Paying bribes, generating scam P.O.'s and invoices is fraudulent financial activity and the FBI has to go after this behavior.

I think BuffNYC's post, or at least how I interpret and agree with it, is not so much that the Feds are involved, but that they should have more important things that gravely affect our country to investigate. Where to we allot our resources? It's similar to how certain members of congress got upset with the BCS... ...sure, valid points are made, but shouldn't there be more important things to worry about? I'd like to think so, but again, I'm just glad to see things fall. College sports has increasingly presented a moral dilemma to me as I've gotten older.

I guess you don't consider Louisville and Arizona blue bloods? I think they're pretty close... ...

But I do agree with you. If only Louisville and Miami are given maximum punishments, I'm going to be severely disappointed. If what YnG and others have been saying is true, everyone guilty needs to be pointed out, and their programs punished. It shouldn't matter if it's Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana - the athletes need to be put first. If college sports are the way to go, then their academics should be considered as well. What can't keep happening are the situations where grown men get rich off the work of kids, and the kids pay the consequences. I hope the punishments are severe and all the culprits are found.

I wonder if Tracy Ford, Daniel Arias' 7x7 coach and trainer does this stuff.

he's all Addidas 3-Stripe Gang All the Time.

Works with NFL prospects and college prospects here in Bellevue. Slippery m'fer

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...tball-trainer-accused-of-intimidating-player/

“Did you guys think the agent found you? Because he didn’t,” Ford says in the video. “I said, ‘(Epithet), I found you. I personally hand-picked you guys and sold you to the agent. And the agent paid me for you guys. This is modern-day slavery, man. This is a (expletive) business. I sold you like a slave owner. Like a slave owner.’”

I guess you don't consider Louisville and Arizona blue bloods? I think they're pretty close... ...

But I do agree with you. If only Louisville and Miami are given maximum punishments, I'm going to be severely disappointed. If what YnG and others have been saying is true, everyone guilty needs to be pointed out, and their programs punished. It shouldn't matter if it's Duke, UNC, Kentucky, UCLA, Indiana - the athletes need to be put first. If college sports are the way to go, then their academics should be considered as well. What can't keep happening are the situations where grown men get rich off the work of kids, and the kids pay the consequences. I hope the punishments are severe and all the culprits are found.

A tier below blue blood level. Honestly players getting paid doesn't bother me, but where there is this much money corruption is sure to follow, and I worry about the player/kid getting hurt in all of it because of adults behaving badly. Academic fraud is another big sticking point here that should absolutely punished.

If there is any justice in this Oregon and Altman won't come out of this clean either.

Back