What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Week Zero Games Thread

Colorado should be better and should beat Arizona
Yep. I think most all are counting on AZ for a win. If not, then four wins is in the mix. As always, containing Tate, pursuit and tackling in space is the key. Hawaii player than made tackle on 1 yard line was a DT in full 40 yard offsite pursuit after having penetrated upfield. Good hustle.

There’s no way in hell the Buffs are that bad on defense, right? I know polls are useless but being picked a distant last behind AZ is not making me feel good.
Arizona was an 11 point favorite IN Hawaii and was a unanimous pick to win. Nobody expected them to be that bad, so I don’t think you can really read into how that relates to the predictions on standings.

Arizona was an 11 point favorite IN Hawaii and was a unanimous pick to win. Nobody expected them to be that bad, so I don’t think you can really read into how that relates to the predictions on standings.
Right?

I mean, if the "experts" were wrong about everything regarding Arizona why would anyone assume that the 1 thing the "experts" were right about was that Arizona is better than Colorado?

There’s no way in hell the Buffs are that bad on defense, right? I know polls are useless but being picked a distant last behind AZ is not making me feel good.

I think most people think we're as dysfunctional an outfit as we were at the end of last year......and expecting 3-4 wins because Oregon/Furd are on the schedule instead of OSU/Cal. I still see a lot of talent on offense, and Mel and this staff are a huge upgrade over what we had last year.....especially Johnson and Kap.

Right?

I mean, if the "experts" were wrong about everything regarding Arizona why would anyone assume that the 1 thing the "experts" were right about was that Arizona is better than Colorado?
Pretty sure the experts see “Kevin Sumlin” and “Khalil Tate” and automatically assume that they’re a good team, it to mention the last time Tate was good, it was 2017 and he had a different HC and offense. I know Tate wanted a coach and system that would feature him as a passer more than runner, but it’s costing the Arizona program bigly

I knew they would have a tough go at Hawaii. But still losing with Hawaii committing 6 turnovers? Woof.

Perhaps we are not experts, but several of us were on record stating Hawaii would give them problems.

I have no idea what cred Sumlin has. He's been awful for awhile.

Tate is a tremendous athlete, but Arizona couldn't win even though they got 6 turnovers. That last play was so exciting. The thing with Tate is to force him to be a drop back passer (easier said than done). He is only a bit above average in the pocket.

Perhaps we are not experts, but several of us were on record stating Hawaii would give them problems.

I have no idea what cred Sumlin has. He's been awful for awhile.
Right. I’m talking about the national media, analysts and Vegas. Sumlin is big name and I think that carried a positive perception of UA

i think if UA-UH was next Saturday, just another kickoff among the other 50 games then Sumlin/UA is getting less love before the game. no one really pays attention any more than "hey, G5 beats P5 and Hawaii is tough at home".

that said, Sumlin inherited Case Keenum and Art Briles' guys at UH, inherited Manziel at ATM where he also recruited and then screwed up having Kyler Murray. then, U of A hired him in a strange move. His resume says he was the "OC" at OU with Sam Bradford and DeMarco Murray and, true, the OC at OU then was pretty darned good but his name was Kevin Wilson. Sumlin was listed as co OC but it was Wilson's O and Wilson called the plays.

not a lot to believe in with Sumlin, IMO. to me, he is kind of Neuheisel-esque. at the end of the day, won some with other people's guys but is kind of a career .500 coach and probably got one more p5 shot than he maybe deserved.

Last edited:
The hype for Arizona is entirely about Tate. How national writers do not see the defensive issues is beyond me. Last night was hardly an aberration. Hell, a shell-shocked CU team put 34 on them last season when the offense was struggling against anyone not named Oregon State.

The hype for Arizona is entirely about Tate. How national writers do not see the defensive issues is beyond me. Last night was hardly an aberration. Hell, a shell-shocked CU team put 34 on them last season when the offense was struggling against anyone not named Oregon State.
Does Tate still deserve that hype? He’s a great athlete and elite runner, who has proven to be a mediocre to below average passer. I understand the hype going into last year, but this year?

Does Tate still deserve that hype? He’s a great athlete and elite runner, who has proven to be a mediocre to below average passer. I understand the hype going into last year, but this year?

Heisman hype? No. That ship sailed a long time ago. All-conference hype? Not really.

But he can still take over games every now and then on a bad team. He did nearly make a play for the ages to tie it last night.

Heisman hype? No. That ship sailed a long time ago. All-conference hype? Not really.

But he can still take over games every now and then on a bad team. He did nearly make a play for the ages to tie it last night.

If Sumlin had any clue, he'd let Tate be Tate. Thankfully for the rest of the conference-he doesn't.

Didn't Tate basically nix a HC hire because he didn't want to be primarily a running QB? He wants to be more of a pocket guy if he can to prepare for the NFL.

Didn't Tate basically nix a HC hire because he didn't want to be primarily a running QB? He wants to be more of a pocket guy if he can to prepare for the NFL.

If his definition of preparing for the NFL is being Lamar Jackson's backup in Baltimore, that's working for him.

The only thing missing was a last second block from his rival on the team, springing him for a touchdown. Then it would have ended like every football TV show.

MWC posted the condensed game of the UA-Hawaii game:

Reasons why UA lost:

1. Hawaii scores a TD with 29 seconds before halftime.

2. UA goes three and out after a Hawaii turnover. Momentum killer.

3. Tate throws that INT inside the five yard line. Big momentum killer since Hawaii scores off that turnover.

4. UA kicks a FG with under four minutes to go. Could they have just gone for it on 4th down instead?

Arizona had no business even being in that game. Give up 45 points even though Hawaii turned it over 6 times? Force Hawaii's first punt of the game in the final minute when they're trying to kill time?

I say this with all sincerity - if Hawaii plays a clean game, they hang over 70 on the Cats. Hawaii is tough on the islands, and it's the first game of the season, but we better roll these guys.

Back