What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What are the Top 5 HC jobs from G5 schools?

Since no one knows where to talk about CSU, I'll do it here.

CSU should be a great job. They have a beautiful new stadium, a fairly non-competitive conference they should rack up wins in, a school that is very supportive of athletic success, and they're located in a growing and popular city that they should be able to attract coaching talent to.

Problem is, no one cares. The alumni don't care, the population of Ft. Collins and Northern Colorado in general doesn't care, and looking at the stands, the students don't care.

Frankly, I don't see any way to change that apathy. Alumni can't be bothered to drive an hour (or less) up I-25. Residents can't be bothered to pay to watch local D1 football. Students can't be bothered to walk across campus.

People will say, if you win, they'll come, but I'm not so sure. They couldn't fill up a smaller stadium with ranked teams.

CSU should be a great job. They have a beautiful new stadium, a fairly non-competitive conference they should rack up wins in, a school that is very supportive of athletic success, and they're located in a growing and popular city that they should be able to attract coaching talent to.

Problem is, no one cares. The alumni don't care, the population of Ft. Collins and Northern Colorado in general doesn't care, and looking at the stands, the students don't care.

Frankly, I don't see any way to change that apathy. Alumni can't be bothered to drive an hour (or less) up I-25. Residents can't be bothered to pay to watch local D1 football. Students can't be bothered to walk across campus.

People will say, if you win, they'll come, but I'm not so sure. They couldn't fill up a smaller stadium with ranked teams.

This is kinda where I was going in the carousel thread...

Many of the things that people say Boise is doing/have done are things virtually any school - especially CSU - could do, but very, very few actually do. Having been born and grown up in CO I've been aware of the Rams for more than 50 years and something just keeps getting in CSU's way. I think Alfred is right - full on apathy outside a few hardcore fans.

To me that doesn't register as a good job for a coach. Not terrible. Just mediocre, because at best you turn the program around and have a few years of meaningful success - Sonny, McElwain - then you either move on - McElwain - or gravity takes over. It just never hits sustainable the way Boise does.

All great points. I'll add..
-they market themselves we to the networks and do anything to get on TV. Expand field for scissor-lift camera booms, play at crazy times, play on Thursdays, Tuesdays, Sundays, whatever.
-travel anywhere to get games with national exposure
-created a unique and recognizable branding centered on the blue field
They have done a great job of building a culture that develops both players and coaches.

As a result as both have individuals move on they have the replacements ready to go.

It has also helped them that there has not been another really high quality G5 team consistently in the western US over the past few years. They have been able to dominate their league

All great points. I'll add..
-they market themselves we to the networks and do anything to get on TV. Expand field for scissor-lift camera booms, play at crazy times, play on Thursdays, Tuesdays, Sundays, whatever.
-travel anywhere to get games with national exposure
-created a unique and recognizable branding centered on the blue field
They should not get an exemption for that ridiculous field.

CSU's season begins and ends with the CU game. Win it and the fans are happy and satisfied but they have seen what they want and move on to other things. Lose it and the season is over and they don't bother paying attention even if the team is playing well.

CSU administration hates not having a CU game because they need to money and the publicity and the energy it generates but they actually might be better off not playing CU and working on establishing their own image instead of just being a shadow of CU. Focus on getting fans interested in the local rivalry games with AFA and Wyo, focus on playing Boise, focus on their OOC schedule.

See I think this is another case of comparing them to the wrong programs. Do they draw well compared to P5 schools? No. But they are doing fine in terms of the G5 schools. They were a three win football team last year and still had the 5th best attendance in their conference and were only about 4K behind Boise who led the conference. A ton of G5 schools struggle with filling their stadium including Boise and Houston.

I agree that it probably is hurting CSU to be playing CU every year. It would do them good to forget about CU for a while and concentrate on their own conference. It probably doesn’t help any that CU is kicking their asses every year, either. It kinda sucks to get up for a game and get your teeth kicked in year after year. It makes the rest of the season less enjoyable.

I agree that it probably is hurting CSU to be playing CU every year. It would do them good to forget about CU for a while and concentrate on their own conference. It probably doesn’t help any that CU is kicking their asses every year, either. It kinda sucks to get up for a game and get your teeth kicked in year after year. It makes the rest of the season less enjoyable.

The fall color change of green and gold to orange and blue is one of my favorite things about Fort Collins.

See I think this is another case of comparing them to the wrong programs. Do they draw well compared to P5 schools? No. But they are doing fine in terms of the G5 schools. They were a three win football team last year and still had the 5th best attendance in their conference and were only about 4K behind Boise who led the conference. A ton of G5 schools struggle with filling their stadium including Boise and Houston.

But re the title of the thread, how many people even have them in the top 5 G5?

Last edited:
No love for App State?

Even though it's in a small, remote town it's a beatiful location and they have a good commitment to their football program, have the history with 3 straight FCS titles and have been successful in FBS since the move up. Facility wise they have an IPF and are doing a $45 million improvement on Kidd Brewer. And per capita they have the best fan support in the state.

Last edited:
Main reason why I think BYU has slipped is their over-scheduling as a football independent. You can be a good team there and it won't matter because the schedule is killer.

@ Utah
Michigan State
@Arizona State
@ Minnesota
Utah State
Missouri
Houston
@ NIU
@ Boise State
San Diego State
@ Stanford

Arizona (Las Vegas)
Utah
Arizona State
USF
@ Utah State
Boise State
@ Baylor
@ Washington State
Virginia
Idaho State
@ Georgia Southern
@ USC
Wealthy, but winless!

Works for those small black colleges in basketball, but for the Mormons in FB? Not so much.

i think UCF has done all it can with facilities and support, but unless there is a seismic shift in re-alignment, they won’t be able to overcome old boys networks in the SEC or ACC.
Real issue in terms of moving up. How is their support, what kind of attendance do they get at games and how much revenue do they generate? Do they travel? Most important question is do they generate TV ratings?

Bottom line for any team wanting to move from G5 to P5 is do they justify the slice of shared revenue they will be getting. Do they deliver the dollars to the conference that is going to be giving them a split.

Real issue in terms of moving up. How is their support, what kind of attendance do they get at games and how much revenue do they generate? Do they travel? Most important question is do they generate TV ratings?

Bottom line for any team wanting to move from G5 to P5 is do they justify the slice of shared revenue they will be getting. Do they deliver the dollars to the conference that is going to be giving them a split.
That's exactly what Flabuff just said.

That's exactly what Flabuff just said.
Not at all.

The "old boy network" doesn't care about the money, they want long time names and "historic powers." If a UCF or some other school could show the University presidents that they would result in an increase in each share of $5 million a year they would be in instantly.

the UF’s and FSU’s don’t want any more in state competition than they already have. They don’t want their prestige or recruiting advantage threatened.
UCF has a huge student population and will have the largest alumni base in the future.
They travel well from what I’ve seen, good showings at both fiesta bowls they played in and even had a decent crowd for their midday Monday bowl game in Tampa this year.
I just don’t think the current conferences would invite them unless the Big 12 did something unexpected. SEC and ACC aren’t adding to their Florida inventory.

i think UCF has done all it can with facilities and support, but unless there is a seismic shift in re-alignment, they won’t be able to overcome old boys networks in the SEC or ACC.
When rights renewal time comes around and ESPN says to the ACC they want more audience in exchange for more money the Tampa Orlando TV markets will all of a sudden look ripe for the taking.

For UCF’s sake I hope that’s true but the ACC may already claim it with all the Seminoles and both hurricane fans that live here.

This is kinda where I was going in the carousel thread...

Many of the things that people say Boise is doing/have done are things virtually any school - especially CSU - could do, but very, very few actually do. Having been born and grown up in CO I've been aware of the Rams for more than 50 years and something just keeps getting in CSU's way. I think Alfred is right - full on apathy outside a few hardcore fans.

To me that doesn't register as a good job for a coach. Not terrible. Just mediocre, because at best you turn the program around and have a few years of meaningful success - Sonny, McElwain - then you either move on - McElwain - or gravity takes over. It just never hits sustainable the way Boise does.

Two thoughts on CSU-One, they need a guy to succeed and fall in love with Fort Collins in the process-Sonny did it, and I think Tony Alford might have had they given him more of a look. Ricky Rahne (given his ties to this state) might have been another guy who could have come back here and stuck there. Two, they'd benefit by not playing us every year, but that's gotta start with a break in the series of at least a decade. The RMS has made football season a one week event at CSU-and its a hindrance to them given the massive talent gap (this year's game was case in point-we played like **** for a half and still beat them by 3 touchdowns) between us right now.

Back