What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What if the SEC & B1G stay at 16?

Which option would you hate less?

• Option 1 - Big 12 (-2+4+4) coast-to-coast footprint

Votes: 18 40.0%
  • Option 2 - Pac 12 (-2+6) MTZ & PTZ footprint

Votes: 5 11.1%
  • I just threw up in my mouth. Fvck this!

Votes: 16 35.6%
  • Hoops looks great for both, so I'm ok either way.

Votes: 6 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Every time we've had realignment for the past 30ish years of this merry-go-round, the shifts have ended up falling way short of speculation of "this time the dominos will fall & we'll have a monumental shift".

Probably the biggest changes were when the ACC expanded to end the Big East as a football conference and when the Big 8 merged with UT, aTm, TTU & Baylor to kill the SWC. But conference killing usually doesn't happen.

So, let's assume it doesn't happen this time and the new number for conference size becomes 16.

With that assumption, which of these 2 options would you prefer (assuming the money

Option 1: CU to the Big 12

Assume we go along with ASU, UA & Utah to make 16.

Membership: CU, BYU, ASU, Utah, UA, KU, KSU, ISU, OSU, Baylor, TTU, TCU, Houston, Cincinnati, WVU, UCF

Figure that no matter the scheduling configuration (divisions, pods, fixed+rotation like ACC), there will be that main paired rival you play every Thanksgiving. In this case, CU probably ends up with OSU.

Option 2: CU stays in the Pac

Assume the Pac adds SDSU, Fresno State, Boise State, UNLV, New Mexico and CSU to get to 16. (Effectively a MWC raid)

Membership (in pairs for rivalry & travel partner): CU/CSU, Utah/Boise State. UA/ASU, UNLV/UNM, SDSU/FSU, Cal/Furd, UO/OSU, UW/WSU

*Note: I don't believe either would be stable long-term, since anyone would leave if the B1G/SEC came calling.

I voted that I like either conference but if you consider basketball, I think staying in the PAC makes sense for CU because CU has enjoyed more success in the PAC and why would we want to go back to a conference where we had less success than right now? I think the Big 12 is going to get even stronger in basketball after OU & UT leave for the SEC so staying in the PAC would be the best option in this case.

I'd rather be in the Pac than return to B12, but don't want to be in a conference with CSewe. If and when there is further expansion, we don't want to be handcuffed the way UW/Wazzu and UO/OSU may be.

Honestly, I think Stanford would go independent rather than be in that Pac-16.

I also think that KU to the Big East and independent for football is going to happen.

There’s been a lot of talk around here about focusing on basketball and becoming a basketball school instead of football, but let’s have a little perspective. Despite having arguably the best mens coach in “insert superlative here”, this is still a program that hasn’t won a regular season conference title or advanced even to the sweet 16 since the 60’s.

We’re as good now as we’ve been in most of our lifetimes and we’re still not even near the cusp of being a top 15-20 basketball program. I’m not sure I’d be considering conference alignment based on becoming a basketball school by default more than by intention.

I would be ok with either option. Acceptance has kicked in with CU football never being top 20 program again.

There’s been a lot of talk around here about focusing on basketball and becoming a basketball school instead of football, but let’s have a little perspective. Despite having arguably the best mens coach in “insert superlative here”, this is still a program that hasn’t won a regular season conference title or advanced even to the sweet 16 since the 60’s.

We’re as good now as we’ve been in most of our lifetimes and we’re still not even near the cusp of being a top 15-20 basketball program. I’m not sure I’d be considering conference alignment based on becoming a basketball school by default more than by intention.
More like: if football is made hopelessly irrelevant through the current realignment... that sucks and I'll be dancing under the moonlight at midnight while hailing every deity I can think of as I bathe in the blood of a sacrificial goat in desperate hope CUFB gets a seat at the big boy table... then it doesn't really matter to me which hopelessly irrelevant FB situation we're in and, unlike FB, BB has been consistently fun for the past dozen years so I'll focus my energy there.

But that didn't fit in the poll's answer box.

I would be ok with either option. Acceptance has kicked in with CU football never being top 20 program again.

If the B1G SEC breaks off to its own level, CU could be a contender in the level below it.

This honestly has to be the case somewhere down the line, it is not logical and economically viable for UCLA womens volleyball playing at Rutgers on a Wednesday night in Big 10 Conference game, same with every other non-revenue "olympic" sport

64 football schools split off from the NCAA to form their own football only "Super League"

Everybody else goes into FCS

Regional conferences remain for basketball and other sports

i am pretty neutral on which would suck worse--- us joining a b12 that goes to 16 or staying in the pac that goes to 16. i think the money is likely to be better in the bigger bi12 but i think the travel and games and footprint would be better in the packaged up pac.

i think the best thing the big 12 the pac and the acc better teams can do is put together their best 16 and screw the others. it would be a third super conference and could eventually rival the other two maybe. this would require a lot of schools getting together to screw over a whole lot of other schools-- not sure if that is even possible.

but just for ****s and giggles:

fsu
miami
clemson
vtech
duke
unc
tex tech
houston
kansas
okie state
colorado
utah
ua
asu
oregon
uw

or, how about this-- nike and amazon get together and take all the rest of the power 5 that isn't in the sec and the big. maybe add the best of the g5. create a super conference, streamed only on prime. everyone wears nike gear. split it all into rational regional divisions. have a multi round playoff and crown a national champion.

and refuse to play anyone from the sec or big. ever.

that might get this thing fixed too.

or, how about this-- nike and amazon get together and take all the rest of the power 5 that isn't in the sec and the big. maybe add the best of the g5. create a super conference, streamed only on prime. everyone wears nike gear. split it all into rational regional divisions. have a multi round playoff and crown a national champion.

and refuse to play anyone from the sec or big. ever.

that might get this thing fixed too.
It's a fun fantasy, but we both know that no one from the have-nots is going to turn down a $2M payday to play at UCLA.

It's a fun fantasy, but we both know that no one from the have-nots is going to turn down a $2M payday to play at UCLA.
thing is, nike and amazon could buy exclusivity. and they don't need to follow the ad supported rev model. you really want to disrupt ****--- give this a try. the ****ing sec and the big would be on an island. you could also do some crazy ass stuff like unify the NIL funding, offer better benefits to the players, and some other stuff. you'd basically be pressuring the sec and big into a reunification plan.

not likely but this would work.

thing is, nike and amazon could buy exclusivity. and they don't need to follow the ad supported rev model. you really want to disrupt ****--- give this a try. the ****ing sec and the big would be on an island. you could also do some crazy ass stuff like unify the NIL funding, offer better benefits to the players, and some other stuff. you'd basically be pressuring the sec and big into a reunification plan.

not likely but this would work.
Nike isn't going to risk all the SEC & B1G members with all their future pro players becoming UA & Adidas schools.

Nike isn't going to risk all the SEC & B1G members with all their future pro players becoming UA & Adidas schools.
yeah that is true. but they could still require all players in the super conference to wear nike stuff exclusively even while keeping their relationships in the sec and the big. and, the super conference could certainly prohibit any games against teams from those 2 leagues.

never happen because the world lacks my vision.

and/or the copious amount of fine wine i have had today.

i am pretty neutral on which would suck worse--- us joining a b12 that goes to 16 or staying in the pac that goes to 16. i think the money is likely to be better in the bigger bi12 but i think the travel and games and footprint would be better in the packaged up pac.
The big 12 is much better at football. The pac 12, even at the highest levels of the conference, is painfully bad.

The whole concept of Power 5 is now blown up (actually, it was several years ago when the SEC pretty much quit pretending to be an amateur league). In all the above scenarios, we are in a D2 league, not the D1 league (unless the B1G comes calling which I see as low probability.

What does the national championship look like going forward? SEC West plays the B1G East and vice-versa for the championship?

The equations have changed. CU does not have the fan base nor the donor base that equates to the type of money needed to be competitive in the new CFB landscape. The ship sailed. Any league without a way to balance talent acquisition (i.e. a draft) and talent retention (i.e. limited free agency), results in a tilted field where the talent accumulates where the money is. And the money goes where the talent is. Breaking the cycle has become infinitely harder.

I have an office in Boise. Boise State fans are much happier dominating their minor league than Pac12 bottom dwellers will be (and have been) getting kicked around by the more serious spenders in this sport.

CU belongs in a league where we can compete for a championship. A division/league championship and even a national championship. We don't belong in a pro league with Ohio State, Clemson and Alabama, or even Oregon. Oregon only does because Nike. If that's what's left of the PAC12, fine. Let's redefine our national league and have some fun being competitive and some hope again.

This is certainly one way to look at it. Another way: the basketball program has had its best run the past decade despite having real support from the athletic department. Financial support should be increased, marketing should be increased, fan and student engagement to should be increased, facilities are embarrassingly lacking. This could be a top 3 program in whatever the hell conference they end up in if Rick and Lance decided to pour their energy towards basketball and quit trying to chase the glory days of football.

This is certainly one way to look at it. Another way: the basketball program has had its best run the past decade despite having real support from the athletic department. Financial support should be increased, marketing should be increased, fan and student engagement to should be increased, facilities are embarrassingly lacking. This could be a top 3 program in whatever the hell conference they end up in if Rick and Lance decided to pour their energy towards basketball and quit trying to chase the glory days of football.
Lol, CU hoops fans are as delusional as CU football fans. This has been a great run for Tad and CUMBB… relative to CUMBB history and standards. There’s not a major conference out there where CU is a consistent top 3 basketball program no matter how much money is thrown at it.

Lol, CU hoops fans are as delusional as CU football fans. This has been a great run for Tad and CUMBB… relative to CUMBB history and standards. There’s not a major conference out there where CU is a consistent top 3 basketball program no matter how much money is thrown at it.
Why not?

Because that would put them as a top 10-15 program in the country and there’s nothing to suggest CUMBB is a Wisconsin/Purdue caliber program. They haven’t been that successful under Tad, from a national expectations standpoint
I should have been more specific with the conference statement. I’m expecting them to end up in a modified PAC-12 not the B1G. They can’t compete with the ACC,B1G,SEC, Big East. However, they can compete in the next level with the proper attention from the athletic department. I just want to see how good the program can get with SOME sort of attention and give-a-**** from Rick and Lance.

I should have been more specific with the conference statement. I’m expecting them to end up in a modified PAC-12 not the B1G. They can’t compete with the ACC,B1G,SEC, Big East. However, they can compete in the next level with the proper attention from the athletic department. I just want to see how good the program can get with SOME sort of attention and give-a-**** from Rick and Lance.
I can agree with that but I also think that’s the same with the football program. If the school actually cared, CU athletics could be good

Back