What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What will it take to keep your interest?

MtnBuff

Not allowed in Barzil 2
Club Member
I could do a poll but don't want to narrow responses.

I'm seeing a lot of the most dedicated Buffs fans wavering in their support. There are people who are season ticket holders who are indicating that they won't renew, people who have watched every down of every game who are not going to games and turning games off on TV if they even turned it on.

Would firing KD be your minimum? Significant staff changes? Additional budget for recruiting staff?

Or are you tuning out and the only thing that would bring back your dedication and enthusiasm is some actually winning?

Is the overall decline in interest going to hit the revenues enough to force the administration to pay attention?

Anything that would give me hope. Close games. A surprise win against someone we rarely beat - USC, Utah, Oregon. Maybe even competing for a bowl spot. Pretty much anything but this

A clear signal by the administration that they care about the on-field success (read win loss record) of the football program. Underperforming coaches will need to be held accountable and a clear emphasis will be placed on recruiting.

Mainly they just need to decide to keep walking down the path they started walking down with Midnight Mel and not be scared off if the water gets a little warmer or if rules get interpreted a little more freely.

I could do a poll but don't want to narrow responses.

I'm seeing a lot of the most dedicated Buffs fans wavering in their support. There are people who are season ticket holders who are indicating that they won't renew, people who have watched every down of every game who are not going to games and turning games off on TV if they even turned it on.

Would firing KD be your minimum? Significant staff changes? Additional budget for recruiting staff?

Or are you tuning out and the only thing that would bring back your dedication and enthusiasm is some actually winning?

Is the overall decline in interest going to hit the revenues enough to force the administration to pay attention?
Based on thread title, assumed you were asking what it would take for us to stay interested in your overly long and rambling posts.

Right now, I would absolutely settle for a 5-7 team that played people close and was competitive. 2021 has been an embarrassment. I am quite sure that we are far more talented than what we see every week which has been one absolute debacle after other.

Howell had a great point in that even in the MM years we could still point to a couple of games and say “what if?”

I don’t think that NIL era bodes well for CU. I think our best times are behind us.

Truth be told, I’m barely interested now. I keep going because I enjoy the spectacle and fellowship of the tailgates and game day stuff. So, for me, if I ever lose interest in that stuff, then there is no reason for me to continue at all. With my kids out of the house now, the idea of travel in the Fall is more attractive. If the football team continues to suck, I could definitely see myself coming to the conclusion that my Saturdays could be better spent. It’s probably just a matter of time for me, actually.

Wins. After waiting since 2005 to see some consistency, I am in show me mode. When and if CU can put together a couple of seasons in a row where they are bowl eligible and competing in the P12, I could get interested again. Beating AZ and Oregon State and getting blown out every other P12 game isn't it.

prank middle finger GIF

I used to listen to the games with my dad when I was a kid, but the first game I remember mattering to me was the 1971 Astro Bluebonnet bowl. I have been following the Buffs for a long time, and I am really burnt out on the futility of the last 15 years. I don't have much interest in the football team at all at this point. I just check CBS sports and AllBuffs the next day to see who played decently. There is usually an individual player or two that had a decent game.

I would like to see the Buffs respected again and favored in most games. I would like to see a string of meaningful bowl games with more wins than losses. I would like to see a machine that just lined up and beat other teams week in and week out. I suppose it would take excellence again to get me back in the fold. Maybe I set the bar too high, but if you are a fan, why would you settle for mediocre?

I could do without an athletic director who's priority during the football season is SO COMPLETELY OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY that he has a PAID ASSISTANT tweeting stupid completely self-absorbed photos of new Nikes while his FOOTBALL TEAM IS DEAD LAST OUT OF 131 teams in offense.

I could do without a head coach that is so brilliant it took him SEVEN MISERABLE WEEKS to figure out his former HS o-line coach can't coach.

I could do without an 'assistant HC' (WTF is that supposed to be, anyway?) that acts as an OC that is predictable as the sun rising in the morning, that has a playbook drawn with crayon with 4 plays in it, and has FAILED at the position's responsibilities so glaringly that it's clear the only reason he's still employed there is the ADs obsession with former athletes. NO OTHER program would tolerate this level of failure for this long.....well maybe ****braska would with Frost....

The real problem here is it's been TWENTY YEARS of this.....3 ADs....however many coaches......NO HOPE. We got some hope with Midnight then Duh-rell completely cratered any fan sense of that with his 7 weeks of HISTORICALLY bad offenses and games we weren't in from the first snap. Now he's ALSO been allowed to crater recruiting. So anyone that knows anything about college ball KNOWS CU is going to be bad and even WORSE for a couple MORE years....AGAIN. After TWENTY YEARS of it....people are finally walking. I will likely be one of them.

To answer your question about people walking ENOUGH - revenue wise - to make any actual, real positive difference? Not a chance of it, imho. NOTHING will be done about the leadership of the athletic department until someone flushes the toilet on RG. Phil D will NOT be that guy....EVER. No loss of revenue will EVER prompt Phil D to fire RG. The university is stuck with the two of them until Phil finally does us all a favor and retires. When that happens RG will be hunting for a job furiously and will likely leave within the next year or two thereafter.

It's only then, that MEANINGFUL change will be POSSIBLE. And it's YEARS away.......and it's only a POSSIBILITY.

Also, people are just tired of a depressing product and program narrative.

I'll be back to watching next year's games on TV. But if we get blown out by TCU I might just hang it up.

I could do without an athletic director who's priority during the football season is SO COMPLETELY OUT OF TOUCH WITH REALITY that he has a PAID ASSISTANT tweeting stupid completely self-absorbed photos of new Nikes while his FOOTBALL TEAM IS DEAD LAST OUT OF 131 teams in offense.

I could do without a head coach that is so brilliant it took him SEVEN MISERABLE WEEKS to figure out his former HS o-line coach can't coach.

I could do without an 'assistant HC' (WTF is that supposed to be, anyway?) that acts as an OC that is predictable as the sun rising in the morning, that has a playbook drawn with crayon with 4 plays in it, and has FAILED at the position's responsibilities so glaringly that it's clear the only reason he's still employed there is the ADs obsession with former athletes. NO OTHER program would tolerate this level of failure for this long.....well maybe ****braska would with Frost....

The real problem here is it's been TWENTY YEARS of this.....3 ADs....however many coaches......NO HOPE. We got some hope with Midnight then Duh-rell completely cratered any fan sense of that with his 7 weeks of HISTORICALLY bad offenses and games we weren't in from the first snap. Now he's ALSO been allowed to crater recruiting. So anyone that knows anything about college ball KNOWS CU is going to be bad and even WORSE for a couple MORE years....AGAIN. After TWENTY YEARS of it....people are finally walking. I will likely be one of them.

To answer your question about people walking ENOUGH - revenue wise - to make any actual, real positive difference? Not a chance of it, imho. NOTHING will be done about the leadership of the athletic department until someone flushes the toilet on RG. Phil D will NOT be that guy....EVER. No loss of revenue will EVER prompt Phil D to fire RG. The university is stuck with the two of them until Phil finally does us all a favor and retires. When that happens RG will be hunting for a job furiously and will likely leave within the next year or two thereafter.

It's only then, that MEANINGFUL change will be POSSIBLE. And it's YEARS away.......and it's only a POSSIBILITY.

Also, people are just tired of a depressing product and program narrative.
Your caps lock is stuck. Might want to call the IT guy.

Long term, I need a clean slate. Everyone there is tainted with failure and incompetence. RG, LC, and KD all need to go and be replaced by capable people who understand what it takes to build and sustain a successful Power 5 football program and have ability to get this done.

Short term, hiring some decent assistant coaches who can recruit. Achieving the bare minimum of bowl eligibility. Recruiting in top half of the conference.

I have no hope that any of this will happen.

I don’t even think firing KD would do it for me at this point. I’d be convinced they would make another middling hire and not truly put financial and institutional support behind creating a winning program.

I want to see an institutional commitment and vision for what leadership expects out of this program. Are we aiming to compete for conference championships? Bowl games? Winning seasons? I want to hear a clearly articulated vision and actual evidence it’s not just lip service. This probably means the messenger needs to change and we need new leadership across the AD. Clean house.

I got pretty fired up when Tucker was hired. I thought he was going to be great. It seemed at that time that there was a substantial commitment financially to 'play with the big boys' (or at least bigger boys). But then shortly thereafter it seemed like we skimped on assistant pool.

I think for me I'll need to see another 'big hire' for HC with the ability to recruit effectively along with a financial commitment to the assistant pool. Of course 'big hire' will be subjective for each of us, but it will need to give me some hope that we can be a bowl eligible team on a regular basis. So I guess I'd need to see an entire new staff. I could probably re-engage even with RG still in place if those other things happened. But I'd prefer he go away/retire as well so we could get someone who could not only fundraise, but also negotiate a reasonable contract.

Last edited:
I’ll be geared up and ready watch Buffs football next August regardless because I hate myself, but new OC, OL, QB and WR coaches would keep me truly “interested”.
For me it’s this + 5-7 legit (maybe not starters but have played a lot) transfers at LB, S, DL and OL and a recruiting class ranked 40 or above. I wanted to type 30 but also wanted to keep it realistic.

You assume they have my interest. I don’t get upset when they lose by a lot. My level of give a **** is so low and I’ve enjoyed getting my fall Saturdays back. Not sucking would be a start.

This season has really tested my patience, but I'm still into it as a fan. The Oregon State and Arizona games made for really fun weekends-- even if that's all they were. After the AZ game, I proclaimed that we would win 4 games this year, and I still stand by that prediction.

I know we are awful; I don't have delusions about that. Seasons like this should not be acceptable. If 2022 feels like a repeat or worse than this year, I'll probably lose a degree of interest. But I don't think there will ever be a time where CU games don't draw at least part of my attention.

I will say, I really miss the feeling of looking forward to a game all week. Prior to ~2010, I'd always anticipate the games against big opponents. Lately, I don't really think about the Buffs except on Saturdays.

Last edited:
Competitiveness in games and recruiting. The University would have to pivot to giving a sh** about football and winning. Not holding my breath. Two bowl games in 15 years is tough to support into perpetuity, especially when there have been some brutal dumpster-fire seasons mixed in there.

The Barnett “scandal” resulted in a self-imposed death penalty of CU football by the University.

Back