What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What would it take for you to be pro-Dorrell?

I have been a season ticket holder - either as a student or alum - since 1985. Travelled to an away games and bowl games almost every year.

Moved away from Colorado this year, so I figured I would stream the Buffs games, and maybe even catch them in person in Eugene. I ended up not listening to more than a few quarters on XM while I was on my way to do something fun.

True story: I popped into a bar with my wife last month, and there were a bunch of people in Oregon State gear getting way into the game. I wasn't even aware of who the Buffs' opponent - or what their game time was - that week. When the Buffs pulled out the win in OT, it didn't even move the needle. I mostly just had a chuckle with the Beav fans about the joys of being stuck in the lower levels of P5 football.

I can barely be bothered to open CU football threads here. It's just a lot more fun to not give a ****. My ambivalence actually extends to all of college football, and I used to love it so much.

Does any of this make me sad or nostalgic? It really doesn't. This has been one the best falls that I can remember.

I am still a Buffs basketball fan, btw. Roll Tad.
This is rapidly where I'm getting to.

And, I'm pretty much at the point where I know the problem is not in the AD. Why do I know that?

The current and past ADs were only rewarded with contract extensions once they acquiesced and quit actually trying to win football championships. No one in the administration above them gives a **** about winning football - all they care about is having a generally balanced budget and not getting embarrassed with a scandal. They don't care about getting made fun on sportscenter (they don't watch), they don't care about getting embarrassed on the field, they don't care if the team loses 72-0 to an FCS team.

They have some vague sense that it's easier for the AD to have a balanced budget if they win a little bit, and they'll throw a little money at the problem if the bleating becomes too loud.

But until things change in the president's and chancellor's office, .500 football is the ceiling.

Phil Distephano and a series of presidents who cared little for football are the problem. Phil hired Bohn, he hired George. He made sure their contracts got extended only once they quit pushing to win football championships.

The sooner he retires, the better. There's no guarantee that his successor will be any better, but at least there's a chance.

A final outside hire at WR coach who is young with CA/TX ties would complete a pretty good start to the off-season and really show me that KD has either finally been able to construct the staff the way he wants, or has been given the mandate that recruiting must get better. Rounding out the staff with a solid hire at WR coach would be step one in the OP’s question.

Step two would be adding about 8-9 quality transfers over the next few months.

Do those things and then prove that the hires can elevate the program on the field by winning games in the Fall and I will get on board.

I’m standing firm on my prior requirement to be pro Dorrell. Him being gone.

That stance has only hardened after seeing the best talent on the team walk away and multiple starters as well. All the while not getting any meaningful transfers at positions of need prior to the exodus (o-line, LB’s) and post exodus (DB’s)

I really like the coaching staff KD is putting together. He is making the moves I felt he had to make at the end of the season and getting the right hires in place. This staff is exponentially stronger than last year.

The roster is incomplete and probably will be in flux until the fall. There’s nothing KD can do about the NIL stuff at this point and with all the coaching turnover/ease of transfer portal, it doesn’t surprise me that some players are leaving. It’s frustrating but it is what it is. It’s impossible to evaluate until we know who’s staying, coming, and going.

I’m standing firm on my prior requirement to be pro Dorrell. Him being gone.

That stance has only hardened after seeing the best talent on the team walk away and multiple starters as well. All the while not getting any meaningful transfers at positions of need prior to the exodus (o-line, LB’s) and post exodus (DB’s)
Not sure what Dorrell is supposed to do when the 3-4 guys we care about losing have all but said they are leaving because of $$

Not sure what Dorrell is supposed to do when the 3-4 guys we care about losing have all but said they are leaving because of $$
If Dorrell was an actual competent and inspiring head coach, and hadn’t been so bad over the last year and a half, I don’t think it would have been too difficult for him and his weakass boss to get some boosters to pony up for 1-2 players. You think Arizona isn’t paying for these transfers? We should be able to compete money-wise with Arizona and they are probably paying 5-6 guys to come there

If Dorrell was an actual competent and inspiring head coach, and hadn’t been so bad over the last year and a half, I don’t think it would have been too difficult for him and his weakass boss to get some boosters to pony up for 1-2 players. You think Arizona isn’t paying for these transfers? We should be able to compete money-wise with Arizona and they are probably paying 5-6 guys to come there
Maybe, but boosters withholding their NIL donations that would keep our best players because they don’t like Dorrell doesn’t make a ton of sense.

As far as Arizona goes, I would bet their AD is in much better shape due to their MBB program and probably have a bigger and better booster network than CU. At least it would appear that way if they have the money after going 1-11 in Fisch’s first year.

Recruit on the bye week....kind of like Kirby Smart did to see Arch Manning play on a Friday night...on national TV no less.
Kirby already knew who was recruiting him but went anyway, maybe he believed as the HC in person he could possibly swing a player.
We had a coach like that once..

Back