What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

What's your Top 5 list (and how does it compare to fans in the metro)?

How many of your 5 match the list on the tweet below?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Where is all the Sark love coming from? And why?
I was a hard no on Sark yesterday but the more I read about him, the more I like him. Pretty darn good resume and he can recruit. We will see if he wants the job. My feeling is that he would be a long term solution if one exists these days

I am still trying to get over we are searching for a HC and a new Ralphie.
Has this ever been the case

and I just read we are 20-61 since being in tje Pac...Holy ****. That's ridiculous. I know we have been bad, but seeing it hurts

Grinch
Sark
Harrell
EB
Avalos

EB's so low only because not sure it's the right move for him. He'll be an NFL HC soon, unless dear old CU underachieved for him, which is its wont.

1. Urban Meyer - people would forget Tucker fast. Great coach.
2. Sark - Great recruiter. Good coach. Knows the footprint.
3. Jim McElwain - Good coach, knows the area.
4. Harsin- Good coach
5. Fickel - Good coach

I'm just throwing this out there, don't yell at me....

Michigan fans seem mildly irritated that Harbaugh can't get over the hump and his contract doesn't have much longer on it. Worth making a call?

My five, based on coaches I think CU could actually get:

1. Blake Anderson
2. Sark
3. Grinch
4. Avalos
5. Mora

I feel like 2011/12 happened like it did because we hired inexperienced alums.

I want EB in 2020 because he is the most qualified football coach I think might be on the market.

To put it another way, in 2011 I don't think another P5 program would have hired Embree to be HC. In 2020, I believe that Bieniemy would be a viable candidate at every P5 program in the country & maybe even the Plan A target at some of the blue bloods.

I think you overestimate EBs popularity. But, he won’t be any more attractive as a candidate than coming off of a super bowl win and he needs to close a deal with an NFL team now that will pay much better than college.

I am still trying to get over we are searching for a HC and a new Ralphie.
Has this ever been the case

Let’s get Ralphie V out of retirement. Her beef with Tucker is resolved and we seem to like former buffs in these critical positions

Looks like NFL HC jobs start at around $4M these days and go to about 3x that number for Pete Carroll.

College HC jobs are not worse jobs. Money is a bit less on average, but can end up being more. Depends on what appeals to someone as a coach. The level of control a HC has over a college team is much greater than they have with an NFL team with roster management and whatnot. There's the old line about being an NFL HC and how you get fired for the meal you cook even though someone else bought the groceries. But some guys just want to coach football, deal with professionals, and not have to recruit or be a quasi parent to 100 young adults -- others love the recruiting & mentoring.

All I'm saying is that I disagree with the dialog that an NFL HC job is better than the CU job. It's all relative to what the individual coach loves (and hates) about being a coach.

If EB didn't get a NFL hc job after this year, he never will. Except if Andy Reid were to suddenly retire.

EBs value in CFB is really high if he is in fact a very good HC. Because he would skyrocket as a recruiter, with any success at all.

I think you overestimate EBs popularity. But, he won’t be any more attractive as a candidate than coming off of a super bowl win and he needs to close a deal with an NFL team now that will pay much better than college.

Let’s get Ralphie V out of retirement. Her beef with Tucker is resolved and we seem to like former buffs in these critical positions
didn't think about that...she's a better judge of character than me, he had me fooled

It depends on the type of job and the personality of the coach. Some coaches may not like to deal with boosters and the whole recruiting process. Others prefer the pro system, Being the OC in the NFL and working for Andy Reid is more attractive to a young coach like EB at this stage of his career. But if a job like Ohio State or Alabama comes along off course he will take it. That is the reality.

It depends on the type of job and the personality of the coach. Some coaches may not like to deal with boosters and the whole recruiting process. Others prefer the pro system, Being the OC in the NFL and working for Andy Reid is more attractive to a young coach like EB at this stage of his career. But if a job like Ohio State or Alabama comes along off course he will take it. That is the reality.
EB is not a young coach. He's 50 years old.

Looks like NFL HC jobs start at around $4M these days and go to about 3x that number for Pete Carroll.

College HC jobs are not worse jobs. Money is a bit less on average, but can end up being more. Depends on what appeals to someone as a coach. The level of control a HC has over a college team is much greater than they have with an NFL team with roster management and whatnot. There's the old line about being an NFL HC and how you get fired for the meal you cook even though someone else bought the groceries. But some guys just want to coach football, deal with professionals, and not have to recruit or be a quasi parent to 100 young adults -- others love the recruiting & mentoring.

All I'm saying is that I disagree with the dialog that an NFL HC job is better than the CU job. It's all relative to what the individual coach loves (and hates) about being a coach.

The big thing the NFL has over CFB is the Super Bowl. It's the ultimate prize in the sport at the highest level and you can only win that in the NFL. As I assume most coaches will be super competitive and ambitious alpha guys, that's a factor.

Of course, however, that factor plays a bigger role with established HCs and not guys who are looking for their first gig.

I scored a "1".

My list would be:

1. Eric Bieniemy
2. Billy Napier
3. Morgan Salley
4. Alex Grinch
5. Andy Avalos

* Steve Sarkisian is my #2 if I'm convinced he is sober and will stay that way.
The more I think about it and reflect on human behavior, the more I agree with you on Sarkisian! Only I think he should be #1!

At least he is a known commodity, whose talent as a HC at the P5 level has been demonstrated. And whose personal faults appear under control and can be accounted for under a contract! Giving a guy like that a second chance, with the right contract in place, he could turn out to be the best, most loyal Buffs' HC ever. (Even Mac waivered as he was headed to SMU, at one point.)

Not that I think Sark is a bad choice, but some of you are glossing over his career record.
I mean, taking UW from 0 to 5, 6, 7, 7, 8 regular season wins seems like a pretty good progression to me. Definitely underachieved in his first full year at USC and the wheels came off with the booze but that is hardly glossing over his record.

Man, hearing people wanting Sark is nuts?

my list is:

1. EB with Chev
2. Chev with Walters
3. Grinch with Chev
4. Avalos with Chev
5. Blake Anderson

just think even though Chev needs to calm the social media down, we lose a lot of players if new staff without him comes in
Explain why Sark is "nuts". Don't you believe in forgiveness and second chances? Bet you gott plenty of second chances!

Guy has demonstrated talent as a P5 HC, has connections and appears to have conquered his demons (think Saban would let him drive the "Bama Ferrari", otherwise?)
And, we know what they are, so can account for that. Could RG ever account for Tucker's total lack of honesty and integrity?

Back