What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Which non-Seniors are we losing?

The attrition is not done. There are probably several guys that will still leave before or after spring ball.

So far:

Blayne Toll TE/DE
Lloyd Murray DL
Ashaad Clayton RB
LaVontae Shenault WR
Zephaniah Maea ILB
Keith Miller WR
Chris Carpenter WR
Jayden Simon DL
Trustin Oliver S
Alec Pell TE/LB
Max Wray OT
Colby Purcell C
Ray Robinson S
Jon Van Diest LB
Curtis Appleton S
Christian Gonzales CB
Mark Perry S
Mekhi Blackmon CB
Brendan Rice WR
Carson Wells LB

20 by my count.

05onfire1_xp-jumbo-v2.jpg

So far:

Blayne Toll TE/DE
Lloyd Murray DL
Ashaad Clayton RB
LaVontae Shenault WR
Zephaniah Maea ILB
Keith Miller WR
Chris Carpenter WR
Jayden Simon DL
Trustin Oliver S
Alec Pell TE/LB
Max Wray OT
Colby Purcell C
Ray Robinson S
Jon Van Diest LB
Curtis Appleton S
Christian Gonzales CB
Mark Perry S
Mekhi Blackmon CB
Brendan Rice WR
Carson Wells LB
Joe Davis RB

21 by my count.

Now at catastrophic levels.

Best young defender (Gonzo) best young offensive player (Rice) , 3/4 of the starting defensive backfield, one of your best pass rushers (Wells), 1 of your few solid OL (Purcell), two highly rated offensive players (Clayton and Shenault). This is a disaster.

HCKD cannot recruit. He can't keep his talented players. He has had no real success in the portal.

Are we to expect more?

So far:

Blayne Toll TE/DE
Lloyd Murray DL
Ashaad Clayton RB
LaVontae Shenault WR
Zephaniah Maea ILB
Keith Miller WR
Chris Carpenter WR
Jayden Simon DL
Trustin Oliver S
Alec Pell TE/LB
Max Wray OT
Colby Purcell C
Ray Robinson S
Jon Van Diest LB
Curtis Appleton S
Christian Gonzales CB
Mark Perry S
Mekhi Blackmon CB
Brendan Rice WR
Carson Wells LB
Joe Davis RB

21 by my count.

Best young defender (Gonzo) best young offensive player (Rice) , 3/4 of the starting defensive backfield, one of your best pass rushers (Wells), 1 of your few solid OL (Purcell), two highly rated offensive players (Clayton and Shenault). This is a disaster.

HCKD cannot recruit. He can't keep his talented players. He has had no real success in the portal.

Are we to expect more?
Is KD waiting for the discount code to come in an e-mail or text to use for a portal transaction? A BOGO deal, get a receivers coach when you upgrade to a 3-star or higher?

So far:

Blayne Toll TE/DE
Lloyd Murray DL
Ashaad Clayton RB
LaVontae Shenault WR
Zephaniah Maea ILB
Keith Miller WR
Chris Carpenter WR
Jayden Simon DL
Trustin Oliver S
Alec Pell TE/LB
Max Wray OT
Colby Purcell C
Ray Robinson S
Jon Van Diest LB
Curtis Appleton S
Christian Gonzales CB
Mark Perry S
Mekhi Blackmon CB
Brendan Rice WR
Carson Wells LB
Joe Davis RB

21 by my count.

Are we to expect more?
Do we have an updated depth chart. I feel like we’re going to have about 60 players.

So far:

Blayne Toll TE/DE
Lloyd Murray DL
Ashaad Clayton RB
LaVontae Shenault WR
Zephaniah Maea ILB
Keith Miller WR
Chris Carpenter WR
Jayden Simon DL
Trustin Oliver S
Alec Pell TE/LB
Max Wray OT
Colby Purcell C
Ray Robinson S
Jon Van Diest LB
Curtis Appleton S
Christian Gonzales CB
Mark Perry S
Mekhi Blackmon CB
Brendan Rice WR
Carson Wells LB
Joe Davis RB
Kanan Ray OL

22 by my count.

Now at catastrophic, can we field a team, levels.

Best young defender (Gonzo) best young offensive player (Rice) , 3/4 of the starting defensive backfield, one of your best pass rushers (Wells), 2 of your OL (Purcell and Ray), two highly rated offensive players (Clayton and Shenault). This is a disaster.

And the hits just keep on coming.

I think I have figured out HCKD's vision. He wants to be the first coach to field a team with no OL.

So far:

Blayne Toll TE/DE
Lloyd Murray DL
Ashaad Clayton RB
LaVontae Shenault WR
Zephaniah Maea ILB
Keith Miller WR
Chris Carpenter WR
Jayden Simon DL
Trustin Oliver S
Alec Pell TE/LB
Max Wray OT
Colby Purcell C
Ray Robinson S
Jon Van Diest LB
Curtis Appleton S
Christian Gonzales CB
Mark Perry S
Mekhi Blackmon CB
Brendan Rice WR
Carson Wells LB
Joe Davis RB
Kanan Ray OL

22 by my count.

Now at catastrophic, can we field a team, levels.

Best young defender (Gonzo) best young offensive player (Rice) , 3/4 of the starting defensive backfield, one of your best pass rushers (Wells), 2 of your OL (Purcell and Ray), two highly rated offensive players (Clayton and Shenault). This is a disaster.

And the hits just keep on coming.

I think I have figured out HCKD's vision. He wants to be the first coach to field a team with no OL.
By positions, the team still has no portal entries and has depth at P and K - calm down with the catastrophic tone. The Buffs will be able to control the field with stellar punts.

It is obvious that there is going to be several more guys enteing the portal. Maybe some are been pushed out the door or encouraged to transfer. Right now it is 22. That numver could be about 29. I predicted earlier that CU will sign about 29 to 32 players.

Chris Miller could decide to graudate. We don't know yet. There are also several guys that are buried on the depth chart or have injury history.

For once bb2 is actually right. Surprisingly, the team is still at 85 scholarships including the incoming freshman. They might be a couple lower with Ray and Davis leaving the last couple days, but this kind of attrition was expected and most of it is irrelevant outside of Rice, Gonzo and to a lesser extent, Perry.

For once bb2 is actually right. Surprisingly, the team is still at 85 scholarships including the incoming freshman. They might be a couple lower with Ray and Davis leaving the last couple days, but this kind of attrition was expected and most of it is irrelevant outside of Rice, Gonzo and to a lesser extent, Perry.
Ooh, but that "talent" of the 85!

Purcell and Ray were not great OL, but they were in the top 5 CU had. Purcell was a multiyear starter, and Ray played quite a bit. Losing those guys early does hurt, even if they aren't all P12. I would also say losing Blackmon is kind of a big deal too. He was solid. Wells also. There is good attrition and some of the above is "good", but how good depends on the staff replacing the attrition with upgrades. So I wonder aloud, who exactly are the upgrades? Especially on the OL, where we may be playing one of the 35 TE's on the roster as OL out of necessity.

Ooh, but that "talent" of the 85!
That’s a different discussion. My point is, the roster needed an overhaul, it’s getting it, and people are acting like they won’t even be able to field a team.

They will bring in transfers and most transfers will be better than Kanan Ray and Joe Davis. Whether they can be better than Mark Perry and Mekhi Blackmon remain to be seen.

Purcell and Ray were not great OL, but they were in the top 5 CU had. Purcell was a multiyear starter, and Ray played quite a bit. Losing those guys early does hurt, even if they aren't all P12. I would also say losing Blackmon is kind of a big deal too. He was solid. There is good attrition and some of the above is "good", but how good depends on the staff replacing the attrition with upgrades. So I wonder aloud, who exactly are the upgrades? Especially on the OL, where we may be playing one of the 35 TE's on the roster as OL out of necessity.
We’ll wait and see who they add. Most people said Rice and Gonzo were the only players they cared about losing and now there’s a collective freak out over Kanan Ray.

It’s also disingenuous to act like it’s the staff’s fault that Purcell chose to retire from football or Carson Wells declaring for the draft.

Gonzo, Rice and Blackmon are the tough losses. That’s it

Purcell and Ray were not great OL, but they were in the top 5 CU had. Purcell was a multiyear starter, and Ray played quite a bit. Losing those guys early does hurt, even if they aren't all P12. I would also say losing Blackmon is kind of a big deal too. He was solid. There is good attrition and some of the above is "good", but how good depends on the staff replacing the attrition with upgrades. So I wonder aloud, who exactly are the upgrades? Especially on the OL, where we may be playing one of the 35 TE's on the roster as OL out of necessity.
Let's be open and honest here. The OL and WR "talent" is borderline FCS. There are 3-4 D2 schools in this state that will line up bigger DBs than us next year. I'm actually okay with our RB, DL and LB units. Not happy, but okay. QBs are G5 level. We'll grab a couple of transfers that will fill a few gaps, but none that will make a true difference in their respective units. It's a 3 win team at best no matter what happens over the next 6 months. It just is what it is.

22 players in the portal and still at the scholarship limit. I guess maybe KD could have went light on the 2022 class and then filled more with portal players? Would that make people feel better about things? I am really trying to understand why people are mostly upset with the attrition? Outside of about 6 of the players in the portal who are either starters or good depth pieces, this is all good attrition.

I think everyone is seeing the high portal numbers and think the sky is falling. This is completely necessary and doesn't shock me at all. I am actually a little perplexed everyone is so up in arms about it. Ultimately, you can question whether KD can improve the roster (I highly question it) and he is the long term solution, but the method of roster turnover should not be questioned that we are currently seeing.

22 players in the portal and still at the scholarship limit. I guess maybe KD could have went light on the 2022 class and then filled more with portal players? Would that make people feel better about things? I am really trying to understand why people are mostly upset with the attrition? Outside of about 6 of the players in the portal who are either starters or good depth pieces, this is all good attrition.

I think everyone is seeing the high portal numbers and think the sky is falling. This is completely necessary and doesn't shock me at all. I am actually a little perplexed everyone is so up in arms about it. Ultimately, you can question whether KD can improve the roster (I highly question it) and he is the long term solution, but the method of roster turnover should not be questioned that we are currently seeing.
I agree that some of the attrition we're seeing is fine. I just don't see us bringing in any transfers that are going to make an impact that will swing the the pendulum remotely close to achieving a winning season. They will likely be gap fillers just like last year's group.

Purcell and Ray were not great OL, but they were in the top 5 CU had. Purcell was a multiyear starter, and Ray played quite a bit. Losing those guys early does hurt, even if they aren't all P12. I would also say losing Blackmon is kind of a big deal too. He was solid. Wells also. There is good attrition and some of the above is "good", but how good depends on the staff replacing the attrition with upgrades. So I wonder aloud, who exactly are the upgrades? Especially on the OL, where we may be playing one of the 35 TE's on the roster as OL out of necessity.
Purcell isn't transferring. He is just done with football.

Wells is declaring for the draft. Those are good players who are moving on that happens to every program. Blackman is probably the only one of the three who you could make this case for.

CU needs 3 o-line starters from the portal for it to be serviceable, imo. That doesn't even include depth behind them. However, that is a recruiting issue that has plagued the program for years and not a one year attrition issue.

Last edited:
I agree that some of the attrition we're seeing is fine. I just don't see us bringing in any transfers that are going to make an impact that will swing the the pendulum remotely close to achieving a winning season. They will likely be gap fillers just like last year's group.
Agreed. It really boils down to two scenarios. You either go light on the freshman class and heavy on the portal, or normal freshman class and lighter on portal (which is what KD is doing this year). In either scenario, the current attrition we are seeing is happening. If not, you've essentially got the same roster in 2022 that only won you 4 games.

We’ll wait and see who they add. Most people said Rice and Gonzo were the only players they cared about losing and now there’s a collective freak out over Kanan Ray.

It’s also disingenuous to act like it’s the staff’s fault that Purcell chose to retire from football or Carson Wells declaring for the draft.

Gonzo, Rice and Blackmon are the tough losses. That’s it
I never said it was the staff's fault that Wells is going pro, or that Pursell retired (although I was unaware that was his decision). I do think it is their fault they have nobody to replace them. That is poor recruiting/planning, and many others besides me saw that one coming.

Again, who are the replacements? I see players going through the portal to their new destinations and I see exactly squat from this staff. Well, except for Kopp.

On the list of 22, Rice, Gonzo are the two critical losses. I add Blackmon, Wells and Pursell as tough holes to fill. Clayton, Shenault, Carpenter are all younger players who had a lot of potential, although there was little shown thus far. Ray hurts because, well, there is very little behind him on the depth chart. So 8 of the losses hurt from a starter/depth standpoint. That is a pretty big hole to fill.

Dixon and Woods look to be promising at safety, Taylor looks ok at CB, Reed and the other frosh DB's are short. Gonzo got worked by London whatever his name is at SC, which sort of underlines the need for big CB's. Can Bethel and Strike step up? Don't know.

The frosh WR look OK. But again freshman behind MLC, Penry and Stanley.

QB and RB rooms look pretty good, OL remains a disaster. Of course, CU has about four hundred TE, so we are good there.

DL is solid, so long as Lang and Sami stick around. LB is just okay with Lamb, Barnes, Quinn Perry, Guy Thomas.

But you have carved out the best performers from the squad in Gonzo, Rice and graduated /sent pro, your two best LB's in Landman, Wells, and gutted an undermanned OL by graduating Kutsch and Pursell and Ray leaving.

Take all that from a 4-8 team and you should be deeply concerned. CU needs immediate help on the OL, and to a lesser degree the DB's. Without it, next year will very likely be even worse.

Do we have an updated depth chart. I feel like we’re going to have about 60 players.

QB- Lewis, Shrout, Kopp, Carter, Mccown
RB- Brousard, Fontenont, D Smith, Venn, Stacks
LT- Wiley, Gray
RT- Filip, Tank, Edwards
RG- Lytle, Jynes, Amaya
C- Fenske, Johnson, Lee
LG- Roddick, Anderson

TE- Russell, Fauria, Olson, Smith, Pasellero, Courtney

WR- Arias, Stanley, Bell, LMC, Penry, Ty Robinson, Page, Tyson, Sewell, Jackson

LE- Lang, Jackson, Williams
NT- Sami, Jordan, Martin
RE- Rodman, Baugh, Austin
OLB/DE- Gustav, Thomas, Grant, Kerry, A Williams, Montogmerry
ILB - Barnes, Hurtado, M Williams
ILB-Lamb, A Smith, Perry
S - Woods, Taylor, Salavea
S - Dixon, X Smith, Lewis,Pittman
NB-Johnson, Taylor, Miller
CB- Moore, Wigins, Striker
CB- Reed, Mills, Harris

Let's be open and honest here. The OL and WR "talent" is borderline FCS. There are 3-4 D2 schools in this state that will line up bigger DBs than us next year. I'm actually okay with our RB, DL and LB units. Not happy, but okay. QBs are G5 level. We'll grab a couple of transfers that will fill a few gaps, but none that will make a true difference in their respective units. It's a 3 win team at best no matter what happens over the next 6 months. It just is what it is.
I like MLC, Stanley and Penry and think they are P12 caliber. Behind them? Who knows? The OL went from barely there to we got nothin'. Not because they OL are all terrible, but there really are only a couple, maybe three that are P12 caliber. I agree we have some small DB's. They are quick but CU needs size. DL and LB is serviceable. RB is good, and QB, well, I like to think that one of those guys can step it up, but we'll have to see, I guess.

I never said it was the staff's fault that Wells is going pro, or that Pursell retired (although I was unaware that was his decision). I do think it is their fault they have nobody to replace them. That is poor recruiting/planning, and many others besides me saw that one coming.

Again, who are the replacements? I see players going through the portal to their new destinations and I see exactly squat from this staff. Well, except for Kopp.

On the list of 22, Rice, Gonzo are the two critical losses. I add Blackmon, Wells and Pursell as tough holes to fill. Clayton, Shenault, Carpenter are all younger players who had a lot of potential, although there was little shown thus far. Ray hurts because, well, there is very little behind him on the depth chart. So 8 of the losses hurt from a starter/depth standpoint. That is a pretty big hole to fill.

Dixon and Woods look to be promising at safety, Taylor looks ok at CB, Reed and the other frosh DB's are short. Gonzo got worked by London whatever his name is at SC, which sort of underlines the need for big CB's. Can Bethel and Strike step up? Don't know.

The frosh WR look OK. But again freshman behind MLC, Penry and Stanley.

QB and RB rooms look pretty good, OL remains a disaster. Of course, CU has about four hundred TE, so we are good there.

DL is solid, so long as Lang and Sami stick around. LB is just okay with Lamb, Barnes, Quinn Perry, Guy Thomas.

But you have carved out the best performers from the squad in Gonzo, Rice and graduated /sent pro, your two best LB's in Landman, Wells, and gutted an undermanned OL by graduating Kutsch and Pursell and Ray leaving.

Take all that from a 4-8 team and you should be deeply concerned. CU needs immediate help on the OL, and to a lesser degree the DB's. Without it, next year will very likely be even worse.
Oh I agree completely that talent is an issue. I’m just saying the attrition isn’t the end of the world like it’s being discussed. They will be replaced, but it just remains to be seen if Purcell and Rays of the world can be replaced by better players

Back