What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be our next head coach?

Would anyone support Jim McEwain? It seems that Florida has been worse since he left. He’s done pretty well at CMU. I think he can recruit and he might be the kind of guy that will stick around.

I think it would be a big jump from what we have now.

Would anyone support Jim McEwain? It seems that Florida has been worse since he left. He’s done pretty well at CMU. I think he can recruit and he might be the kind of guy that will stick around.

He’s done pretty well at CMU? Not sure about that.

Tucker may have been a bit unique in that he had strong ties to the school and the area but CU shouldn't be losing coaches to schools like Michigan State.
You are delusional regarding CU’s place in the CFB pecking order. Nearly every SEC and Big Ten job is better than CU. Midnight Mel might leave MSU for LSU, but Michigan State is a much better job than the CU job.

Hearing you talk about CU reminds me of when Beano Cook would rattle on about those great Army teams from the 1940’s.

You are delusional regarding CU’s place in the CFB pecking order. Nearly every SEC and Big Ten job is better than CU. Midnight Mel might leave MSU for LSU, but Michigan State is a much better job than the CU job.

Hearing you talk about CU reminds me of when Beano Cook would rattle on about those great Army teams from the 1940’s.
Didn't you used to be CSU Fusker or something like that?

Envy isn't good for what self-esteem you might have left. By the way, how's that P5 conference invitation thing going for you guys?

Those were good Army teams!

Didn't you used to be CSU ****er or something like that?

Envy isn't good for what self-esteem you might have left. By the way, how's that P5 conference invitation thing going for you guys?
I have been a CU football and basketball season ticket holder for ten years. No one in my family, including myself, have any ties to CSU. I want CU to have great success in both sports. Basketball is getting to where we all want it to be. Football is a joke, and you are not helping the situation at all with your “takes”. You are pathetic.

I have been a CU football and basketball season ticket holder for ten years. No one in my family, including myself, have any ties to CSU. I want CU to have great success in both sports. Basketball is getting to where we all want it to be. Football is a joke, and you are not helping the situation at all with your “takes”. You are pathetic.
No question that football is currently a joke and it goes way past the coach.

Your takes though are the ones that are pathetic. CU is currently a bottom feeder but attitudes like yours will keep it there. With the right kind of support CU can be a job that is a very high level position. Not elite but not taking a back seat to the schools you have elevated ahead of it.

If you don't like my takes or anyone else's you don't have to read them but your response to me shows you to be petty and small minded.

I know someone who was present when faculty interviewed him. He said the wrong things about academics.

Someone said this conference doesnt take football seriously. And they were right. They aim to be closer to the Ivy League than to be the SEC.

I know someone who was present when faculty interviewed him. He said the wrong things about academics.

Someone said this conference doesnt take football seriously. And they were right. They aim to be closer to the Ivy League than to be the SEC.
That is pretty much what I heard too...he was about getting players in to play, not necessarily to get them an education, or something like that.

Jim McElwain has gone 8-6, 3-3, and 4-4, in his 3 seasons at CMU. I don’t know where anyone got the idea he’s doing really well there - he’s been very average.

Interesting. I didn’t know he interviewed

Interesting. I didn’t know he interviewed

McElwain a prime candidate?

Jim McElwain, the offensive coordinator at Alabama, interviewed for the Colorado head coaching job on Monday—if Joel Klatt is to believed.

McElwain has been the offensive coordinator at Alabama for the past three seasons.

A Montana native, McElwain has had stints at Eastern Washington, Montana State, Louisville, Michigan State, Oakland Raiders, and Fresno State.

“I think Colorado would be a great fit for him,” BamaOnLine writer Christopher Walsh told Buffstampede.com. “He is always talking about the Rocky Mountains. I think in the long run he wants to go back somewhere out west—the only draw for him to stay here besides the salary ($410,000 this year) is his daughter’s enrollment here at the school.”

McElwain a prime candidate?

Jim McElwain, the offensive coordinator at Alabama, interviewed for the Colorado head coaching job on Monday—if Joel Klatt is to believed.

McElwain has been the offensive coordinator at Alabama for the past three seasons.

A Montana native, McElwain has had stints at Eastern Washington, Montana State, Louisville, Michigan State, Oakland Raiders, and Fresno State.

“I think Colorado would be a great fit for him,” BamaOnLine writer Christopher Walsh told Buffstampede.com. “He is always talking about the Rocky Mountains. I think in the long run he wants to go back somewhere out west—the only draw for him to stay here besides the salary ($410,000 this year) is his daughter’s enrollment here at the school.”

I'll be dammed.

Jim McElwain is okay, but I don't see it as a major upgrade to KD. KD will get a payout of about 14 million.

It was always going to be a struggle at CU early. KD is a victim of his early success. The expectations are too high for a program that havent recruited well and hadnt been to a bowl game for a long time. The reality is it will take time to rebuild the program. Mel Tucker was 5-7 his first year with mostly McINtyre players. KD is playing with mostly Mel Tucker recruits. He has to deal with bad OL recruiting and a freshman QB. The expectations are unreasonble. Even McElwayn or your next mr quick fixer will strugle until he gets his recruits in. I don't know if KD is the right coach or not. But I see some prgress. I like how his team didnt give up against Oregon on the road. Also a lot of freshmen are playing this year. He just has to make some adjustemnts. CU needs a new OC and OL coach. He also has to address the lack of upperclassmen OL in the program. Should target about 4 OL through the transfer portal. Also need to replace Landman. The reasonable thing to do is give KD 3 years to get his recruits in.

Those pesky high expectations of thinking CU ranking 123rd in scoring offense after eight games is unsatisfactory.

Also, all Dorrell needs is a new OC, new OL coach, four OL from the portal, and to replace Landman? Doesn't get much easier than that path to greatness.

Last edited:
How much time should it take to rebuild a program that went 5-7 for three straight seasons into a program that goes 6-6 or 7-5?

Feels like all that would require is maintaining the mediocre to below average recruiting and being ever so slightly better at gameday coaching.

big bang has a different idea of what a rebuild is than I do I guess

This whole roster is filled with Tucker’s one and some odd recruiting class(es)? This is why The Buffs aren’t doing well this year, nevermind the fact that MSU is in the CFP,if the regular season ended today. This is with players that Tucker plucked from the portal, and about the same amount of classes that he recruited with CU. Obviously this beyond (un)coaching. Had MSU not meddled, maybe CU has a ranked team this year?

The majority are still MM recruits, with some MT and KD seasoning/spices.

KD’s track record speaks for itself. He nosedived out of UCLA, and his one year as OC at Vanderbilt was a trash fire at best. He doesn’t recruit like he should, and no that Chiv is OC, it seems that he’s put his recruiting chops on cruise control.

These are my observations.

I don’t get the devotion by some to the portal as a remedy for what plagues this roster. The portal is another recruiting vehicle. CU is terrible at recruiting right now. Making things even worse, the portal forces teams to continuously recruit their current rosters so they don’t lose the good players they have. CU sucks at that too, I’d bet. There will be a net talent deficit from the portal for CU.

5-7 program under Mel Tucker that had a large graudating senior class and guys like Will Sherman entering the NFL draft early. You also had medical retirements and ertc. There is no way you can make any reasonable conclusions about kD after a 4-2 record his first year and a 2-6 rrecord his 2nd year with 4 games left. There is not enough data. Got to give the guy some time to fix the problems at CU. Problems that existed before his arrival. IF CU just wants to pay KD 14 milllion to go away and pay another guy to do the same job of rebuilding the program. Which will take time, wont be immediate success. I am not against KD making his money and enjoying life on the beach in Miami.

Mr. "OL DEPTH" suddenly thinks OL recruiting has been a big issue for years. Nice!
I thought that was Johnny Depth not bb2. I still don’t get how we shouldn’t judge based on worst offense in fbs and a really bad OL coaching hire. I’m sure coach sled was tucker’s fault somehow.

Back