What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be our next head coach?

In case y’all been wondering why I’ve been banging the fire RG drum….

drum GIF

KD must have one heck of an agent. They hit CU at exactly the right time. Maybe RG is a good fundraiser/Vision Guy but he's a crappy negotiator.

Captain Obvious: The party who feels most pressed for time in a negotiation is the party most likely to **** up. As noted by someone above, RG left his blind side (the contingency that KD might be not all that) completely exposed in his haste to cover the contingency of another dreaded Early Bolt.

The only way out of the mess at the end of this season is to appeal to KD's sense of (hopefully) not wanting to fail miserably and publicly for an extended period of time, and do a negotiated buyout. It's the Cross Fingers, Hope and Crawl Strategy, the last refuge of horrendous negotiators.

On the football side, get ready for Drew Carter Part 1 pretty soon. The scoreboard results can't be much worse, unless the Defense starts to fold as a unit. At that point we are entering Embree-like territory with 52-10 games rather than 38-17ish....

Is this **** really happening? Did Katie H or Betsy put an eternal Hex on us?

No. He essentially has a fully guaranteed contract. If they fire him in a given year, he is owed whatever is remaining on his contract for that year AND whatever is remaining on his contract in total. Below are the buyout numbers (h/t to rward on 247)

If fired before 12/31 of the following years (from the actual contract):
2021: $14,800,000
2022: $11,400,000
2023: $7,800,000
2024: $4,000,000

That is only part of the math. The contract, a clip of the actual page describing the buyout is attached to a post higher up in this thread, states that if terminated before 12/31/21 he would receive $14.8M less what he has already been paid in 2021. This means that by 12/31/21 his actual buyout would be $11,400,000 assuming he is paid equally over the year and not a lump sum on 12/31/21.

So, at December 31 he would essentially be owed:

2021: $11,400,000
2022: $7,800,000
2023 $4,000,000

This assumes that there is no contract extension.

That is only part of the math. The contract, a clip of the actual page describing the buyout is attached to a post higher up in this thread, states that if terminated before 12/31/21 he would receive $14.8M less what he has already been paid in 2021. This means that by 12/31/21 his actual buyout would be $11,400,000 assuming he is paid equally over the year and not a lump sum on 12/31/21.

2023 $4,000,000

Don't assume that with RG.

2023 $4,000,000

Thanks for doing this math. Given how shambolic this whole thing is, the earliest I see us parting ways with KD is the 2023 date.

2023 $4,000,000

Right. It’s only $14.8m if they fire him mid season this year essentially. I could maybe see the AD coming up with $7.8m to fire him after next season on 1/1/23, but can’t see them paying $11.4m to make him go away after this year

Right. It’s only $14.8m if they fire him mid season this year essentially. I could maybe see the AD coming up with $7.8m to fire him after next season on 1/1/23, but can’t see them paying $11.4m to make him go away after this year
Getting that amount of cash to pay him AND the necessary raises for the next staff is not available. Maybe the 2023 date.

It is doubtful he gets paid more in-season than out of season. If so, he would be owed roughly $13.1M mid season this year. It makes no sense to fire him in January of any year there would be no cost savings over firing him on 11/30 of any given year.

The best we can realistically hope for is that Chev and Rodrique are both ****canned following the season and their replacements are worth a damn. Dorrell ain’t going anywhere.
If I squint really hard and go through some serious mental gymnastics, I can convince myself that’s not the worst outcome possible. Figure any assistants he hires will be reluctant to come here if his seat is really hot. Having that contract might actually help convince quality assistants to take the chance to come here.

Yeah, I know. That’s Simone Biles level mental gymnastics there. If mental gymnastics were an Olympic sport, I’d dominate.
And if Simone Biles thought the Olympics was overwhelming, what would she do if she was a CU fan?

Thanks for doing this math. Given how shambolic this whole thing is, the earliest I see us parting ways with KD is the 2023 date.
That’s why I already set my reminder. Think of all the time we’ll save!

“Hey Siri, set a reminder on Dec, 1st 2023 to see if CU fired Karl Dorrell”

It is doubtful he gets paid more in-season than out of season. If so, he would be owed roughly $13.1M mid season this year. It makes no sense to fire him in January of any year there would be no cost savings over firing him on 11/30 of any given year.
Ok that makes a bit more sense, so at least they can fire him in November of 2022 and basically only owe him the $7.8m + the December salary?

Negative: Barring a miracle turnaround, CU football is doomed to suck real bad for the forseeable future.

Positive: I know this well in advance and don't have to watch this tragedy (again).

For all the good RG did early in his tenure, (1) the failure to ensure Mel had a big buyout for at least 2 years; (2) the hire of Karl; (3) giving Karl a huge contract instead of spending it on the staff; and (4) guaranteeing of his full salary are all horrifically bad decisions that will overwhelm his legacy here.

Pending a miracle, RG is now a failure at CU and has wasted the last decade of incremental progress. He also seems unable to learn from past mistakes when it comes to contracts.

Thank goodness Mike ****in Bohn gifted him Tad (and even Macintyre - which RG also screwed up with that buyout) or he'd have almost zero positive things from actual games played by the department he oversees.

Last edited:
KD was in the process of building a house and Boulder and RG still OVERPAID him. The guy wanted to be here even before the coaching job was on the table. Unreal.
I agree with the idea of paying the next coach incrementally more than the last in order to stay somewhat competitive, but there is no way RG needed to fully guarantee his contract w/r/t his termination buyout. Guys like Mel Tucker, Ryan Day, Sark, Herman, etc have the cache to demand more of the money in a fireable situation, but this was the payday of Dorrell's lifetime regardless of whether it was fully guaranteed. He would have almost certainly agreed to something like Sam Pittman's contract at Arkansas or even something more drastic

Big Jim's math post is why RG needs to be fired yesterday. He paid a journeyman WR coach well above his resume and then tacked on all these guarantees.

"KD - here's the job. We'll guarantee 2 years. Then we will revisit in year 3 after you've had your chance to put your stamp on things. But only 2 years guaranteed".
If KD wasn't ok with that, let him keep coaching WRs in the NFL.

Rick is the worse businessman ever. He's a salesman, and an empty suit one at that. He came in and convinced some donors to pay for the stadium and training facility. He convinced Mel Tucker to come here, but with promises he couldn't keep. This is story of incompetence.

Big Jim's math post is why RG needs to be fired yesterday. He paid a journeyman WR coach well above his resume and then tacked on all these guarantees.

"KD - here's the job. We'll guarantee 2 years. Then we will revisit in year 3 after you've had your chance to put your stamp on things. But only 2 years guaranteed".
If KD wasn't ok with that, let him keep coaching WRs in the NFL.

Rick is the worse businessman ever. He's a salesman, and an empty suit one at that. He came in and convinced some donors to pay for the stadium and training facility. He convinced Mel Tucker to come here, but with promises he couldn't keep. This is story of incompetence.
He keeps talking about how a new sound system, new bathrooms and a complete renovation of Balch and the west side are in the works. Why the **** is that where funds are being allocated instead of doing what it takes to hire and retain a good coaching staff and recruiting infrastructure??

So there is one reasonable way CU gets out of paying that whole $7.8 million if they fire him after 2022. Since Dorrell is required to seek employment for offset purposes in 2023-2025, he may be ready to just retire. In that case, the buyout would certainly be negotiated lower.

Additionally, depending on how payments are made, he may want a bigger lump sum up front, which would also lowers the negotiated buyout (MacIntyre was given two lump sum payments as part of a lower negotiated buyout).

Contracts must be respected. Why would he agree to negotiate it down or take a pay cut? Mel Tucker was abused for bailing on the prograam. At the end of day it is a business. There are no more loyalties in big money NCAA football. I was upset when Mel Tucker left. I have changed my mind.

Back