What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your final thoughts on 2018 recruiting class?

Yeah, our head coach can't even manage those win totals in year 5 but let's look down upon winning 8 games and a bowl and being a few close losses from winning the Big 12 this season in Matt Campbell's 2nd season. I'll let you know when either of them hires Jim Leavitt as their DC.
10-2 in year 4, fyi.

Why are you on here? I get your outlook on the CU program, or football in general. My Grandpa basically sees football the same way, he doesn't really care who wins or loses, he just enjoys the game. But he damn sure doesn't have a login on a particular fan site and post on there. So what gives buddy?
I’m a fan of CU football. But that doesn’t mean I have to be fanatical. Because if I get upset and want coaches fired and it doesn’t happen, it just makes me bitter. I’m on here because I enjoy learning the players stories. What I don’t like are people who think they know everything there is to know about the game, coaching and recruiting. Because if they did, they would be employed by an university.

10-2 in year 5, fyi.
It was actually 10-4 in year 4 with embarrassing blowout losses in both the Pac 12 Championship Game and the Bowl Game, fyi, and then followed it up with a 5-7 season (2-7 in conference) and gave credence to the idea that just maybe that 10 win season was a perfect storm of motivated Seniors, an elite defensive staff (that has since been completely dismantled), and a "down" Pac 12. Per this entire conversation, this 2018 season is going to tell us a lot about what kind of coach Mike MacIntyre is and what kind of trajectory this program is on.

I’m a fan of CU football. But that doesn’t mean I have to be fanatical. Because if I get upset and want coaches fired and it doesn’t happen, it just makes me bitter. I’m on here because I enjoy learning the players stories. What I don’t like are people who think they know everything there is to know about the game, coaching and recruiting. Because if they did, they would be employed by an university.
Nice job completely deflecting on the entire conversation and turning it into something it's not.

McCartney reached 7 wins and bowl game in year 4 of his tenure, followed that up with 6 wins, and then never dropped below 7 wins in a season again. If Mike MacIntyre can get this team back to bowl eligibility at 6 or 7 wins in 2018, I will entertain the idea that he has what it takes to get this program back to the 8-11 win/year range (like McCartney). If they go 5-7 or worse again, how can you suggest there is anything similar about his tenure and McCartney's?
I agree. He didn’t go 5-7 in 2018 as far as I know.

It was actually 10-4 in year 4 with embarrassing blowout losses in both the Pac 12 Championship Game and the Bowl Game, fyi, and then followed it up with a 5-7 season (2-7 in conference) and gave credence to the idea that just maybe that 10 win season was a perfect storm of motivated Seniors, an elite defensive staff (that has since been completely dismantled), and a "down" Pac 12. Per this entire conversation, this 2018 season is going to tell us a lot about what kind of coach Mike MacIntyre is and what kind of trajectory this program is on.
Seems like you’re again only paying attention to 1 data point. Simple.

So people sharing opinion's regarding the football program is not ok in your view?

Again, why are you on here? You want stories about the players then allow me to direct you to the cubuffs website or buffzone. Adam's 247 also does a pretty good job with some more personal stories about the players and staff, just avoid the message board like a plague, it's pretty similar to here.

So people sharing opinion's regarding the football program is not ok in your view?

Again, why are you on here? You want stories about the players then allow me to direct you to the cubuffs website or buffzone. Adam's 247 also does a pretty good job with some more personal stories about the players and staff, just avoid the message board like a plague, it's pretty similar to here.
Opinions are great. It’s the know it all attitudes and the set in stone definitive statements that go overboard.

Explained above. Short and easy, too.
You haven't explained anything. All I see is you comparing the current state of CU's program to Bill McCartney's tenure and saying that our recruiting classes sucked early on, so it takes time to get good. What "data points" are you paying attention to that I've missed?

You haven't explained anything. All I see is you comparing the current state of CU's program to Bill McCartney's tenure and saying that our recruiting classes sucked early on, so it takes time to get good. What "data points" are you paying attention to that I've missed?
Mainly, no matter how much you complain, it takes time to build talent for perennial 8+ win teams when starting from rock-bottom. This is especially true in low talent states where football isn’t king (proudly).

I understand choosing to not be as emotionally involved with the program as some to where you don't get angry when they lose, but we're simply talking about expectations for the coaching staff and program that we root for. I don't see how that is "childish" in any way. Also, many people here own season tickets (and have for many years), donate to the football and other athletic programs, and have deep ties to the University and football team. That creates a very heavy rooting interest in the success of the program, and it's pretty c.u.n.t.y for you to deflect conversation about staff expectations by saying "I'm an adult, so I don't get too invested like the rest of you".

Good post and agree fully.

Having expectations and having those expectations tied to results doesn't make somebody fanatical or emotionally over the edge.

We live in a world of expectations. People are judged by their results, the more you are paid, the higher profile your position, the more likely you are to be judged by your results.

Does it ruin my life when the Buffs have a lousy season? No, life goes on. That doesn't mean though that as a supporter I don't have a right to have expectations of them taking the necessary steps to be successful.

If you think that winning and losing should be separated from supporting a team then your attitude is perfectly appropriate to support your local youth programs. At that level the lessons learned and experiences gained by the participants are more important than the final score. In BCS level college football, in the PAC12 the final score does matter and no it isn't unreasonable to say that a coach, a coach who is making millions of dollars to bring wins, should have his continued employment determined in large part by the results on the scoreboard.

This is not childish or fanatical or out of line. It is what is expected in major college revenue sports.

Whether some of you want to believe it or not this is a make or break year for MM. You can see that the staff knows this in the way that they have tried to go after Jucos and Grad Transfers to fill the gaps. Going 6-6 in 2018 will not cut it. As others have said it's year six so lets see some tangible improvement and consistent play. If the 2018 squad plays up to their abilities then this can and will be a successful season.
I don't think it would get MM fired if he made a bowl game at 6-6, but I would think he would need a big, big year in 2019.

Good post and agree fully.

Having expectations and having those expectations tied to results doesn't make somebody fanatical or emotionally over the edge.

We live in a world of expectations. People are judged by their results, the more you are paid, the higher profile your position, the more likely you are to be judged by your results.

Does it ruin my life when the Buffs have a lousy season? No, life goes on. That doesn't mean though that as a supporter I don't have a right to have expectations of them taking the necessary steps to be successful.

If you think that winning and losing should be separated from supporting a team then your attitude is perfectly appropriate to support your local youth programs. At that level the lessons learned and experiences gained by the participants are more important than the final score. In BCS level college football, in the PAC12 the final score does matter and no it isn't unreasonable to say that a coach, a coach who is making millions of dollars to bring wins, should have his continued employment determined in large part by the results on the scoreboard.

This is not childish or fanatical or out of line. It is what is expected in major college revenue sports.
We live in a world of reasonable and rational expectations. That’s what makes real world different than message board poster world.

Message board is more like the Deep South in 1820.

We live in a world of reasonable and rational expectations. That’s what makes real world different than message board poster world.
So are you saying it's unreasonable to definitively say that the expectations for Mike MacIntyre and this program in 2018 are bowl game or bust (6 wins)?

So are you saying it's unreasonable to definitively say that the expectations for Mike MacIntyre and this program in 2018 are bowl game or bust (6 wins)?
No, that sounds pretty fair. Of course, something like Montez going down game 1 would change that.
Personally, I want to see a better recruiting class over record in 2018. Obviously the 2 are tied together.

No, that sounds pretty fair. Of course, something like Montez going down game 1 would change that.
Personally, I want to see a better recruiting class over record in 2018. Obviously the 2 are tied together.
Why is that? I'm not even sure yet that he's the best qb on the roster.

I believe...and this is just my perspective...that if we go 6-6 next year, you give HCMM another year. 6-6 is progress from 5-7, 6-6 is a Bowl, and the stability of HCMM remaining CU's HC with a progressing trajectory will benefit the program more than wiping the slate clean. Since Barnett we have had instability; the value that stability provides to a program, especially in recruiting needs to be considered.

Thread title has had zero to do with the discussion for several pages. This doesn't belong in the recruiting forum any more. Moving it to the main football forum where we're having this same conversation in about 5 other threads.

I am not calling for anyone to be fired at this point but the program is now his, every player on the roster is his.

Should Montez go down the backup is his responsibility.

At some point every coach has to put wins on the board or get fired, that is the nature of the business.

I'm not saying 8 wins or out this year but I do think that this far in it is fair to set expectations and hold him to them regardless of the potential excuses.

I believe...and this is just my perspective...that if we go 6-6 next year, you give HCMM another year. 6-6 is progress from 5-7, 6-6 is a Bowl, and the stability of HCMM remaining CU's HC with a progressing trajectory will benefit the program more than wiping the slate clean. Since Barnett we have had instability; the value that stability provides to a program, especially in recruiting needs to be considered.

Thanks for answering a direct question without superfluous BS. Seems pretty reasonable too.

It may surprise you, but I do not think you are wholly incorrect on unrealistic expectations. It is always important to keep some perspective and add context to numbers.

I also do not think the best counter to unrealistic expectations is putting forth no expectations at all.

It may surprise you, but I do not think you are wholly incorrect on unrealistic expectations. It is always important to keep some perspective and add context to numbers.

I also do not think the best counter to unrealistic expectations is putting forth no expectations at all.
Fair enough. I just don’t know how to quanitively State my expectations. I just want to see a better team on the field.

Back