What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Your final thoughts on 2018 recruiting class?

I know you aren't into numbers but let's say cu goes 5-7 again but the offense is better and you see better play overall on the field.

What would be your reaction to this result?
I’ll just put it this way. I love the Buffs. But I just don’t get too invested in the game. Do I want them to do well? Absolutely. If they don’t, do I piss and moan and call for people to get fired? No. Want to know why? I’m an adult. And CU football is just fun for me and honestly has no bearing one way or the other in my life, and frankly in any of ours except for those who are directly involved.

Who’s paying the $9.5 million buyout for Macintyre?
Where’s the money coming for the new staff and their assistants?

Colorado is not a program rolling in the riches. We don’t have wealthy benefactors playing at the table who are willing to pay crazy buyouts.

We signed Macintyre to an extension after 2016, have tons of facilities obligations, and have not gotten CFP and Bowl revenues as we hoped/expected in the P12.

Realistically, Macintyre has 2018 and probably even 2019 too. By then, I am sure one of those seasons will have just enough wins to save his job.

Him leaving for another job or me winning the Powerball is the best chance to avoid this financial catastrophe.

Whether some of you want to believe it or not this is a make or break year for MM. You can see that the staff knows this in the way that they have tried to go after Jucos and Grad Transfers to fill the gaps. Going 6-6 in 2018 will not cut it. As others have said it's year six so lets see some tangible improvement and consistent play. If the 2018 squad plays up to their abilities then this can and will be a successful season.

I’ll just put it this way. I love the Buffs. But I just don’t get too invested in the game. Do I want them to do well? Absolutely. If they don’t, do I piss and moan and call for people to get fired? No. Want to know why? I’m an adult. And CU football is just fun for me and honestly has no bearing one way or the other in my life, and frankly in any of ours except for those who are directly involved.

Expecting unrealistic expectations based on underwhelming results and something you have no direct control over. I don’t put expectations on my sports teams, I expect them not to suck but I learned a long time ago expectations on things you can’t control only make you disappointed.

I just hope the kids have fun out there.
Juice boxes for all!

giphy.gif

Whether some of you want to believe it or not this is a make or break year for MM. You can see that the staff knows this in the way that they have tried to go after Jucos and Grad Transfers to fill the gaps. Going 6-6 in 2018 will not cut it. As others have said it's year six so lets see some tangible improvement and consistent play. If the 2018 squad plays up to their abilities then this can and will be a successful season.
I actually believe 6-6 is going to keep Mac around, short of him leaving on his own. Hard to fire a coach with so much $$ remaining on his contract after a bowl game and the 2nd most successful season in the last 11 years.

Ah the old “too cool to care” argument.
giphy.gif

I actually believe 6-6 is going to keep Mac around, short of him leaving on his own. Hard to fire a coach with so much $$ remaining on his contract after a bowl game and the 2nd most successful season in the last 11 years.

Unless it is a very ugly 6-6 he won't be in any danger at all.

As you stated the money is a big issue. He also bought himself a lot of rope with the 10 win season and outside of the Tumpkins deal (which I have a hard time marking against him) the program has been clean and as free from issues as you could hope for.

M2 is kind of the anti-Eustachy as a coach.

Ah the old “too cool to care” argument.
giphy.gif
No. I just find it kind of idiotic for adults to be so vehemently involved in college athletics. It’s fun. It’s a game. But for grown men and women to get so angry and upset when their team does badly I find it disturbing.

No. I just find it kind of idiotic for adults to be so vehemently involved in college athletics. It’s fun. It’s a game. But for grown men and women to get so angry and upset when their team does badly I find it disturbing.

I agree, maturity tends to hedge fanaticism. Through maturity we tend to gain relevance in our lives, causing issues like CU sucking for decades to not impact us as greatly. For me, having children and just making a choice to not let my Fandom dictate my overall mood have been factors that have allowed me to turn a game off without the pitted lows or manic highs that I had experienced in the past. I don't believe it's a "Too Cool to Care" mentality but rather a balanced perspective of life. . . why let the uncontrollables control you?

I agree, maturity tends to hedge fanaticism. Through maturity we tend to gain relevance in our lives, causing issues like CU sucking for decades to not impact us as greatly. For me, having children and just making a choice to not let my Fandom dictate my overall mood have been factors that have allowed me to turn a game off without the pitted lows or manic highs that I had experienced in the past. I don't believe it's a "Too Cool to Care" mentality but rather a balanced perspective of life. . . why let the uncontrollables control you?
Bingo

I understand choosing to not be as emotionally involved with the program as some to where you don't get angry when they lose, but we're simply talking about expectations for the coaching staff and program that we root for. I don't see how that is "childish" in any way. Also, many people here own season tickets (and have for many years), donate to the football and other athletic programs, and have deep ties to the University and football team. That creates a very heavy rooting interest in the success of the program, and it's pretty c.u.n.t.y for you to deflect conversation about staff expectations by saying "I'm an adult, so I don't get too invested like the rest of you".

I understand choosing to not be as emotionally involved with the program as some to where you don't get angry when they lose, but we're simply talking about expectations for the coaching staff and program that we root for. I don't see how that is "childish" in any way. Also, many people here own season tickets (and have for many years), donate to the football and other athletic programs, and have deep ties to the University and football team. That creates a very heavy rooting interest in the success of the program, and it's pretty c.u.n.t.y for you to deflect conversation about staff expectations by saying "I'm an adult, so I don't get too invested like the rest of you".
Takes a c.u.n.t to know one. I too have season tickets and have since Kordel days. It’s the expectations some place on these teenagers that are idiotic. It’s a game. Enjoy it.

And this is a perfect example of Colorado’s football not being serious enough.

Takes a c.u.n.t to know one. I too have season tickets and have since Kordel days. It’s the expectations some place on these teenagers that are idiotic. It’s a game. Enjoy it.
We're talking about expectations on grown men, paid high six figure and million dollar salaries, by the state (you and me), to coach a P5 football program. That's what this conversation is centered around, try to keep up.

We're talking about expectations on grown men, paid high six figure and million dollar salaries, by the state (you and me), to coach a P5 football program. That's what this conversation is centered around, try to keep up.
The players win the game.

And, if this staff is gone, who comes in? The whole grass is greener on the other side argument. Just like recruits, CU is not exactly the prime landing spot for a hot coach.

And, if this staff is gone, who comes in? The whole grass is greener on the other side argument. Just like recruits, CU is not exactly the prime landing spot for a hot coach.
We don't know who would take over in the event Mac gets fired. However, we have an Athletic Director who has pushed just about all the right buttons from a business perspective since coming here in 2013, has been around the college game before, and has shown a commitment to building a strong athletic department that starts with a winning football program, and he has yet to go through the process of search for and hiring a football coach. I look forward to the day he gets that opportunity if Mike MacIntyre isn't able to get CU football back to competing for conference championships.

Also, last year’s seniors (and this year’s, gulp) were recruited by and accepted to play at worst team in D1. That results in 5-7 sometimes. Last 2 classes have far more talent as program is much more desirable.

Everything getting better. Just takes time.

Also, last year’s seniors (and this year’s, gulp) were recruited by and accepted to play at worst team in D1. That results in 5-7 sometimes. Last 2 classes have far more talent as program is much more desirable.

Everything getting better. Just takes time.
So by year 9 of this coaching staff's tenure, they should be ready to compete. Can't wait!

6-6 and 7-5? Let me know when either wins 10 games.
Yeah, our head coach can't even manage those win totals in year 5 but let's look down upon winning 8 games and a bowl and being a few close losses from winning the Big 12 this season in Matt Campbell's 2nd season. I'll let you know when either of them hires Jim Leavitt as their DC.

Ask Matt Campbell or Jeff Brohm. It doesn't take a decade to turnaround a program.
McCartney reached 7 wins and bowl game in year 4 of his tenure, followed that up with 6 wins, and then never dropped below 7 wins in a season again. If Mike MacIntyre can get this team back to bowl eligibility at 6 or 7 wins in 2018, I will entertain the idea that he has what it takes to get this program back to the 8-11 win/year range (like McCartney). If they go 5-7 or worse again, how can you suggest there is anything similar about his tenure and McCartney's?

Why are you on here? I get your outlook on the CU program, or football in general. My Grandpa basically sees football the same way, he doesn't really care who wins or loses, he just enjoys the game. But he damn sure doesn't have a login on a particular fan site and post on there. So what gives buddy?

Back