What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'17 CO SG Justinian Jessup (Verbal to Boise State)

I applaud the hoops braintrust for acknowledging we may have made a mistake in slow playing Jessup.

That’s all I ever wanted.

I’ll shut up now. Until I get riled up again.
The way you are on this has caused me to have to police myself against rooting against the kid. Which sucks.

Reading this thread like
AAEAAQAAAAAAAANzAAAAJDMzNjUxODE5LWVlZDQtNDhmNS05YjUzLTE2ZjAyZjUzNzg3Mw.jpg

Because every time he has a decent game you're going to turn every basketball discussion on this board into a "Jessup is great, Tad ****ed up, the fan "braintrust" are idots" discussion. Like a helicopter dad.
Nope. I’m done. All I ever wanted was an acknowledgement that we messed that one up. It’s a message board, and sometimes it takes a few years to be proven right. I wasnt about to let the opportunity go by. But I’m done now.

Things work out for a reason.
He went to Boise and is doing well.
You just cant say the same would have happened here in Boulder, just like you cant say it wouldnt.
With TV you can see his games, just not here in Boulder.

Nope. I’m done. All I ever wanted was an acknowledgement that we messed that one up. It’s a message board, and sometimes it takes a few years to be proven right. I wasnt about to let the opportunity go by. But I’m done now.

We didn't mess up, both sides just went in another direction. Why is that so hard comprehend?

And good for Jessup, glad he's doing well at BSU.

I applaud the hoops braintrust for acknowledging we may have made a mistake in slow playing Jessup.

Who said that? Because they're wrong. It's one thing to think Jessup is a decent player. It's another to think we should have been more aggressive with him. CU absolutely 100% handled the recruitment the way they should have.

Reactions: wip
No shots. Unless its' a 4* or better, we should slow play all recruits. The only exception should be obvious no brainers (see: Wright, McKinley). Other than that, I want CU playing hard to get.
no I mean sacky will be re-riled up. carry on

Side note - I also believe that unless they have played on a high level AAU team or with one of the Olympic squads, we're limited to one Colorado kid every 10 years.

Side note - I also believe that unless they have played on a high level AAU team or with one of the Olympic squads, we're limited to one Colorado kid every 10 years.
I was going to say that you go way too far on this, but it's fair considering that all of the top CO guys play high level AAU and camps these days. Big exception was Dallas Walton, but "you always take a flier on a legit 7 footer who can walk & chew gum at the same time" is the exception to any recruiting rule we could come up with.

I was going to say that you go way too far on this, but it's fair considering that all of the top CO guys play high level AAU and camps these days. Big exception was Dallas Walton, but "you always take a flier on a legit 7 footer who can walk & chew gum at the same time" is the exception to any recruiting rule we could come up with.

Pretty much. I just don't trust CO HS basketball. For God's sake, they let me play for a tiny bit. That should be disqualifying by itself.

Pretty much. I just don't trust CO HS basketball. For God's sake, they let me play for a tiny bit. That should be disqualifying by itself.

I also think you go a little too far with the disdain of CO HS bball, even though I fully understand where you're coming from. I do think Jessup over Brown would have been a fair decision if Tad had decided to that. Of course though, it makes sense taking Brown over Jessup, even considering Jessup having done well at Boise.

To your comment though about one CO kid every 10 years aside from the obvious stars - I agree...I think...(I assume 10 years is a general statement, not literal?). I think every cycle (3-4 classes), you can take a major project on. To me, if there's a CO kid that fits the bill, ala Dallas Walton, offer the kid. Scholarship spots are valuable, but I think we can take a CO kid/flier every 4 years or so. Yes, I'd prefer to take a flier on a CO kid than someone from Detroit, bc he's from CO. I'd rather RECRUIT from CA, DC, PNW, etc, but I think keeping CO ties is important.

I like the idea that I think Kansas uses, and takes the best player from your home state ever year or so. Although, I think Kansas normally has enough talent they have that kid walk on, and Kansas Preps are arguably better than CO, but still I like the idea.

I think it pulls some community involvement, and in the long run makes for a better program. By filling the seats, making coors a hard place to play, more people watching it on TV, etc.

Looking at Tad's classes, I suspect that is something he is trying to do here as well.

I like the idea that I think Kansas uses, and takes the best player from your home state ever year or so. Although, I think Kansas normally has enough talent they have that kid walk on, and Kansas Preps are arguably better than CO, but still I like the idea.

I think it pulls some community involvement, and in the long run makes for a better program. By filling the seats, making coors a hard place to play, more people watching it on TV, etc.

Looking at Tad's classes, I suspect that is something he is trying to do here as well.

Kansas can afford to do that with 1 & dones.

We can't afford to have 25% of our scholarships be charity cases.

To your comment though about one CO kid every 10 years aside from the obvious stars - I agree...I think...(I assume 10 years is a general statement, not literal?).

No, it's literal. We're done taking CO kids unless they fall into the exemptions until 2021.

No, it's literal. We're done taking CO kids unless they fall into the exemptions until 2021.

Come on man. I agree that we're done with a big project until 2021, because that will be around the time Dallas graduates. But then starts a new cycle where we can have a kid stashed away on the roster (hopefully a CO kid, but regardless, some project). After the next project is out, another one can be stashed away. So I'm calling for every 3-4 years. Not sure where the literal 10 is coming from.

Come on man. I agree that we're done with a big project until 2021, because that will be around the time Dallas graduates. But then starts a new cycle where we can have a kid stashed away on the roster (hopefully a CO kid, but regardless, some project). After the next project is out, another one can be stashed away. So I'm calling for every 3-4 years. Not sure where the literal 10 is coming from.

So I get the argument on not taking a project every year, but saying that the best CO player every year is a project is a bit of a stretch. Sure every couple of years there will be no big CO talent, but I dont think its that risky assuming we are only talking about the best of the best.

I also think you go a little too far with the disdain of CO HS bball, even though I fully understand where you're coming from. I do think Jessup over Brown would have been a fair decision if Tad had decided to that. Of course though, it makes sense taking Brown over Jessup, even considering Jessup having done well at Boise.

To your comment though about one CO kid every 10 years aside from the obvious stars - I agree...I think...(I assume 10 years is a general statement, not literal?). I think every cycle (3-4 classes), you can take a major project on. To me, if there's a CO kid that fits the bill, ala Dallas Walton, offer the kid. Scholarship spots are valuable, but I think we can take a CO kid/flier every 4 years or so. Yes, I'd prefer to take a flier on a CO kid than someone from Detroit, bc he's from CO. I'd rather RECRUIT from CA, DC, PNW, etc, but I think keeping CO ties is important.

To start with it isn't like Tad has a problem with taking Colorado kids.

He took Sabatino Chen and Derrick White as transfers
He recruited with schollies
Wes Gordon
Xavier Talton
Josh Scott
Dom Collier
Dallas Walton
D'Shawn Schwartz

Every college coach has to make value judgements on players. Sometimes they are wrong, sometimes it looks like they are wrong because a kid does much better elsewhere than he would have for that particular team.

Jessup has turned into a quality player for Boise. That doesn't mean he would be doing as well for the Buffs.

How many times have we been critical of coaches in various sports taking a Colorado kid who didn't turn out calling it a wasted scholarship that could have been used for someone better from another state.

I hope Jessup does very well at Boise. Even if he becomes an All-American though I won't blame Tad. Remember that Tad offered him a way to become a Buff through prep school. Also remember that his best other offer was Boise. He wasn't hidden away someplace secret yet all those other coaches out there didn't offer him either.

So I get the argument on not taking a project every year, but saying that the best CO player every year is a project is a bit of a stretch. Sure every couple of years there will be no big CO talent, but I dont think its that risky assuming we are only talking about the best of the best.

I'm not exactly saying that, and not trying to speak for Goose, but I doubt he's saying that either.

I'm from CO and want CU to have some CO kids on the roster. I'm not saying that should be our bulk of roster spots, but I do think it's nice to have some local ties on the team. Aside form the obvious CO HS kids CU should go after (Davis, Collier, Perkins*, Diallo, etc), I think offering a CO kid every "cycle" (for me every 3-4 years) on the team is just fine. This stash would be a kid that's a project. To be honest, Kountz to me seems like a project and fits this bill. I've never seen him live in person though, and Tad thinks he's good enough to offer...so whatever. But, yes, he is CO's top player this year, and personally, I just don't know enough about him - he's a project to me you stash. Schwartz is not a project, neither was Gordon, or JScott, or Collier, etc. Talton to me was...

So no, I don't think the best CO player is a project every year. But, when he is, which probably about half the time, I'm fine with taking one of those every now and then. I think I'm actually more with you than not. However, I agree with Goose though, NO, I do NOT want CU to take CO's best HS player every year just because. I would have been completely fine if we didn't take Kountz, because we already have Dallas.

Back