What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 CO OT Reece Atteberry (Signed to Michigan)

Yes, and some kids still gave no thought to CU. The whole point is that some players will always leave the state. This happens in Alabama.

People think just because they live in the state that a kid will give CU the time of day. That is the job of a good recruiter.

It would be foolish to automatically assume a Colorado kid will consider CU and you're right that a good recruiter has to make the pitch... but there's a good pitch to be made. Building a tradition in your home state, leaving your own mark on a program, having family and friends be able to come to every home game etc.

That's not going to resonate with every kid, but it's a pretty good ready made pitch and a good foothold for a good recruiter. We've also seen a few players leave only to transfer back to an in state school.

True, a certain number of them are going to give us zero consideration. The thing is that we don't know which ones might be open to at least considering us until we try, until we put in the effort.

Sometimes kids become disenchanted with the big programs, sometimes they decide that the local program can become bigtime, sometimes they have a couple of friends who are going to the local school and start considering staying closer to home.

All recruiting is a percentage proposition. No school, not even the very top programs get every kid they work hard on but you rarely ever get one that you didn't work on.

Most of these Colorado kids, even the "no hopers" are at least willing to come up to Boulder for junior days and to have a talk with our coaches. Yes, for many this is a courtesy on their part but we have to use those opportunities to get some to seriously consider us.

The strategy of not recruiting hard and instead trying to take the left-overs and "develop" them is why we have one bowl game in the last decade and a half.

Jimmys and Joes is what wins.
I guess I feel we show them the love and get them to visit as much as we can unofficially. Even if we never get the ‘official’ visit, and even if they don’t seriously consider us, the better relationship we can have with them without pressure on them will make them positive about us, and the top 2021 and 2022 Colorado prospects will still see and hear about that, will still see that they talk with and visit CU. I think that helps build stronger and stronger foundations with future classes. And if some see good progress with CU’s team by the season end, anything can happen. Treat them all like family even if they say they are going somewhere else. People are fickle, kids included, and you never know what happens from day to day, much less months away from now.

I guess I feel we show them the love and get them to visit as much as we can unofficially. Even if we never get the ‘official’ visit, and even if they don’t seriously consider us, the better relationship we can have with them without pressure on them will make them positive about us, and the top 2021 and 2022 Colorado prospects will still see and hear about that, will still see that they talk with and visit CU. I think that helps build stronger and stronger foundations with future classes. And if some see good progress with CU’s team by the season end, anything can happen. Treat them all like family even if they say they are going somewhere else. People are fickle, kids included, and you never know what happens from day to day, much less months away from now.

Like so many things it is all about building relationships.

What we know though about people is that if you act like you don't deserve to be considered and you don't put in the effort you aren't going to be considered.

You never know when a kid will change their approach and decide that staying home for any variety of reasons but you know it won't happen if we haven't given them reason to believe that is a good option.

It would be foolish to automatically assume a Colorado kid will consider CU and you're right that a good recruiter has to make the pitch... but there's a good pitch to be made. Building a tradition in your home state, leaving your own mark on a program, having family and friends be able to come to every home game etc.

That's not going to resonate with every kid, but it's a pretty good ready made pitch and a good foothold for a good recruiter. We've also seen a few players leave only to transfer back to an in state school.
I automatically assume that a local kid will consider Colorado. At least to the point where CU is in the conversation as a long shot when we would have been a "no shot" if he wasn't local. When it's a local recruit, the coaching staff needs to recruit hard until the kid has signed elsewhere and never treat it as a "no shot" if it is a player that they want at CU. Not gonna get all the in-state blue chips no matter how well CU is performing on the field and how well the staff recruits, but we should see CU do better with its success rate on local recruits than it does with general recruiting.

When it's a local recruit, the coaching staff needs to recruit hard until the kid has signed elsewhere and never treat it as a "no shot" if it is a player that they want at CU.

Emphasis mine.

Couldn't agree more with the whole thing, especially that part. Recruiters should be treating the opportunity to play at CU as big and important and special as it truly is.

I just meant to say, that they shouldn't take interest for granted on in state kids. You have to make a good pitch. Maybe like you said though, we should automatically assume some interest for in state kids and offer accordingly.

what-the-hell-gif-21.gif

Good luck to the kid. CU was never really in it, and if you aren’t going to get the signature, better to end the courtship early.

I seem to remember a recent top OL from Colorado, who committed to a BIG 10 team (OSU) and found his way back to Boulder.

Ann Arbor is too ****ing cold and what does Madison have to do with anything?
I think you mean Columbus, Ohio. Madison is a fun college town for the two or three non-winter months.

My bad, didn't watch the whole video and thought the last uniform was WIsconsin. I had a great time in both Ann Arbor and Madison, granted neither were during the winter.

mad town is a great college town!....a bit cold great school and turns out pro lineman like a factory...thats where i would head if i was an oline recruit

Why is he so cold on CU? I get an in state kid wanting to leave the state. But I don’t get not even having them on the list.

Back