What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 TNFR SDE Antonio Alfano (SIGNED and ENROLLED with COLORADO)

Skepticism is the right call for sure. However, what we have here is still recoverable. He has broken team rules, skipped workouts (allegedly), so it’s not like things can’t be fixed. I hope the coaches can reach him on a personal level and turn things around.

I hope he can pull his head out of his ass and salvage his chance to extend his football career. But all evidence suggests that he may just be a ****ing idiot.

Skepticism is the right call for sure. However, what we have here is still recoverable. He has broken team rules, skipped workouts (allegedly), so it’s not like things can’t be fixed. I hope the coaches can reach him on a personal level and turn things around.

Well, I guess we will see. I’d imagine if he truly wanted to be here and is as dedicated to football as he says, he wouldn’t be acting this way. He hasn’t applied for (don’t think) his waiver so he’s out this season anyways until the school applies and is approved.

My first instinct is he knows he is out and is just going to enjoy his time with his GF and try and transfer again. I don’t know all the rules but I’m sure he can probably transfer and still be eligible next season. First it was his grandma, then his coach quit on him, blah blah.

A old buddy of mine played for CU from 99 - 03 and it was a grind. . . leading up to the fall seemed to always churn anxiety and dread in him. He was a committed and very successful football player for the buffs but just summoning the drive always seemed to be a struggle. I guess what I am trying to say is that it's easy for fans to judge a kids' commitment or circumstances, but its far different in their shoes.

Well, I guess we will see. I’d imagine if he truly wanted to be here and is as dedicated to football as he says, he wouldn’t be acting this way. He hasn’t applied for (don’t think) his waiver so he’s out this season anyways until the school applies and is approved.

My first instinct is he knows he is out and is just going to enjoy his time with his GF and try and transfer again. I don’t know all the rules but I’m sure he can probably transfer and still be eligible next season. First it was his grandma, then his coach quit on him, blah blah.

Not true regarding waiver. The plan was not to apply until after the spring semester. You’re being too harsh in my opinion. Be skeptical, but let’s see how it plays out. Fair?

Not true regarding waiver. The plan was not to apply until after the spring semester. You’re being too harsh in my opinion. Be skeptical, but let’s see how it plays out. Fair?

Hmm? That’s exactly what I said. He hasn’t applied yet from what I know and so right now he’s out for the season until he applies and is approved. My point was that if he knows he has to apply still he’s technically out for this year anyways so if he really doesn’t want to be here he has nothing to lose.

Don’t see where I’m being harsh? All I said was my first instinct is he’s probably going to try and transfer out which is why he’s skipping workouts and showing up substantially late to meetings. I’m not questioning his character or criticizing him...

I would not infer anything with the application for immediate eligibility. He is still on plan in that regard and would likely be eligible in the fall. But he has to adhere to team rules. There is time to do that still.

If he knew he was “out” after 8 weeks in Boulder, he has everything to lose. You cannot keep enrolling in schools and not get caught up in NCAA transfer and eligibility rules. It’s in his best interest to either figure out his football life at CU, or just move on from the sport entirely and pursue another path.

Primarily for his sake, I hope he figures out what he wants and needs to do to have successful and rewarding life. Secondarily, for CU's sake I hope he gets things squared away to see the field.

But, let's be realistic...He attended 3 high schools in 4 years and he's been to 2 universities in 2 years so far. Stability is not a strength of his.

giphy.gif

I like his chances under Dorrell versus Midnight Mel. Let's not give up on him yet.

I honestly think this is going to work itself out-Alfano (even with what he's going through personally) has to know this is it here. I don't know if even Midnight would touch him again if he wanted to move on from CU.

Sorry if this is crass, but it seems to be an open secret. What's he going thru personally?

Bummer for the Buffs but a bigger bummer for him and, I’m sure, his parents. Raising kids sucks sometimes. What happens next is up to him. At some point people have to decide whether or not to grow up. It usually boils down to pride.

If you know him well enough, talk to him about counseling - it's free at Wardenberg. All young people hate the idea, but this kid is hauling some heavy loads and simply talking about can help a lot.

Can I get free counseling at Wardenberg?

Damn! I hope that Alfano finds the solace he is looking for. I remember thinking the transition from HS to college was tough, but I can’t imagine the things that student athletes go through, let alone one with the profile such as Alfano’s. Keeping up with school and keeping up with conditioning, playbook, meetings, etc...when all you want to do is to enjoy the last few moments of being a kid...it’s a battle.

The part about the anxiousness and scraping together the drive to go through winter and spring workouts, summer conditioning and then fall camp and practice everyday after school pretty much torched my excitement to play even in HS. I remember it making me physically sick during fall camps of my sophomore and senior years. I didn’t quit, because I knew no matter how bad I felt about it, this was just a blink of time in the grand scheme of things. That was just high school, can’t imagine trying to play in college...even at the lowest level.

Damn! I hope that Alfano finds the solace he is looking for. I remember thinking the transition from HS to college was tough, but I can’t imagine the things that student athletes go through, let alone one with the profile such as Alfano’s. Keeping up with school and keeping up with conditioning, playbook, meetings, etc...when all you want to do is to enjoy the last few moments of being a kid...it’s a battle.

The part about the anxiousness and scraping together the drive to go through winter and spring workouts, summer conditioning and then fall camp and practice everyday after school pretty much torched my excitement to play even in HS. I remember it making me physically sick during fall camps of my sophomore and senior years. I didn’t quit, because I knew no matter how bad I felt about it, this was just a blink of time in the grand scheme of things. That was just high school, can’t imagine trying to play in college...even at the lowest level.
I went to a boarding school for 2 years. There are an awful lot of 16 and 17 year-old 'tough guys', who cry their first night away from mom and dad. God knows all this kid has been through, then add in the fact that the world says he's a "5-Star", not a normal guy. I wish him all the luck in the world and hope KD has the right stuff to help him out.

Sorry for the bump.

Any updates here? Still suspended?

Last I read was that he was here in Colorado, and living with his girlfriend’s family since the university housing was closed. I have seen some various twitter photos of him lifting weights on his own. I would presume he is going to class online like everyone else.

As far as suspension goes, everyone is suspended, so hard to say if he is out of the doghouse or not. My guess is that we won’t hear much news until organized workouts begin again, whether that be camp in August or over the summer if NCAA allows.

Back