What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

'20 TNFR SDE Antonio Alfano (SIGNED and ENROLLED with COLORADO)

This is good news but I can’t help but wonder just how long it’s going to be before we actually get a chance to see him play. He’s a difference maker, for sure. This will be CUs best DL in years once we actually start playing again.
It's really too bad we aren't going to see him with Mustafa

giphy.gif

She is hottie too!!

This is good news but I can’t help but wonder just how long it’s going to be before we actually get a chance to see him play. He’s a difference maker, for sure. This will be CUs best DL in years once we actually start playing again.
We've put guys into the NFL in recent history, and Mustafa will be next. He will have to work hard to improve himself to go from a High School phenom in New Jersey to CUs best DL in years, no matter what his raw abilities are. That kinds of **** just sets us up for disappointment. There's a lot to learn to be able to beat PAC12 offensive linemen when you got zero experience.

We've put guys into the NFL in recent history, and Mustafa will be next. He will have to work hard to improve himself to go from a High School phenom in New Jersey to CUs best DL in years, no matter what his raw abilities are. That kinds of **** just sets us up for disappointment. There's a lot to learn to be able to beat PAC12 offensive linemen when you got zero experience.
I bet you’re a lot of fun at parties.

Alfano is the type of talent who can make opposing teams adjust schemes to account for him on every play. That's rare and absolutely changes the game. A couple guys like that on an otherwise solid team that doesn't have glaring holes and you're challenging for a conference title. If he is able to make it, I can't overstate how big that is.

Why would you try to throw a wet blanket? He was projected to get playing time at Alabama as a True Freshman.

Why would you try to throw a wet blanket? He was projected to get playing time at Alabama as a True Freshman.
Because it's factual?

Instead of " This will be CUs best DL in years once we actually start playing again.", it would be better to say " This will be CUs best DL in years if he fulfills his potential, once we actually start playing again.

Lot's of top 5 guys don't make it in College to the level predicted above. Hell, we've had plenty here.

Imagine the recruits that will want to come play with him if he is what he’s billed to be.

Alfano to me is the kind of guy who can change the program if he reaches his full potential

Because it's factual?

Instead of " This will be CUs best DL in years once we actually start playing again.", it would be better to say " This will be CUs best DL in years if he fulfills his potential, once we actually start playing again.

Lot's of top 5 guys don't make it in College to the level predicted above. Hell, we've had plenty here.

Apparently missed the pep rally for CU fans.

Always amazes me how the nihilistic position, “it will descend into s**t,” makes people feel rational and righteous.

Apparently missed the pep rally for CU fans.

Always amazes me how the nihilistic position, “it will descend into s**t,” makes people feel rational and righteous.
I'm not that way though. I am however always cautious about guys. We tend to make guys All-Americans before they've played a down, and also convince ourselves that a guy will never play. Mustafa Johnson was largely dismissed on these boards. Ratings are great, but let's remember that a guy like Alfano has had a few snaps at Alabama in the spring. He may not get a lot of P.T. if our line were to stay healthy and we played this fall. See, I'm still optimistic we might play this fall! Optimism!

Not real kooladie about fall football. Spring seems possible, but weird. And what about bowl games? Even if fans were allowed how many farm-belt folks would wanna be in Armpit Florida in late spring when it's 95 degrees and 90% humidity? Especially when their soy crop is sprouting?

But I digress.

So this gives Alfano some more time to get a waiver to play. Add in the movement to extend eligibility for seniors. Those ingredients equal a DL of...

Johnson / Sami / Alfano

I'm salivating

Because it's factual?

The claim that "lots of top 5 guys don't make it..." is simply not true. I went back and looked at the top 5 recruits from the 247 Composite ranking for 5 classes, 2012 - 2016. Of those 25 recruits, here is how things ended up for them: all 25 signed with an NFL team. 22 of the 25 were drafted and 3 of the 25 were signed as free agents. 18 of the 25 (72%!) went in the first 2 rounds. 11 went in the 1st round. Almost all of the top 5 guys do make it.

Regarding the claim that we've had plenty of top 5 misses here, we have had 2 players in the top 5 overall in the last 20 years: Darrell Scott and Marcus Houston. Both could probably be classified as misses given the expectations, but both showed some impressive flashes as true freshman and contributed.

The claim that "lots of top 5 guys don't make it..." is simply not true. I went back and looked at the top 5 recruits from the 247 Composite ranking for 5 classes, 2012 - 2016. Of those 25 recruits, here is how things ended up for them: all 25 signed with an NFL team. 22 of the 25 were drafted and 3 of the 25 were signed as free agents. 18 of the 25 (72%!) went in the first 2 rounds. 11 went in the 1st round. Almost all of the top 5 guys do make it.

Regarding the claim that we've had plenty of top 5 misses here, we have had 2 players in the top 5 overall in the last 20 years: Darrell Scott and Marcus Houston. Both could probably be classified as misses given the expectations, but both showed some impressive flashes as true freshman and contributed.
Appreciate your time to do this, it's what makes these boards great.
I am not surprised to see 11 go in the first round out of 25. This is what I would expect, and it's why rankings matter (statistically, higher ranked players have much higher chances of success and being drafted). That is NOT the argument.

I can not draw a conclusion without seeing your data from the 18 who were drafted and 3 that signed as UFAs. What impact did they have, how much of a disappointment were they at their Universities?

I do not see that these 18 folks make the point that we can infer that Alfano "would be the best DL in years" here. Were these 18 able to fulfill this at their schools and respective positions? Undoubtedly some did, but I'll venture many did not. That is THE QUESTION at hand here. It's unfair to label Alfano that way until he proves it.

As for your last point, the misses I spoke of here at CU were not limited to "top 5 national recruits" (I didn't know we had any), but really, high expectations that fell flat. We don't need to review that, we have lived it. But a quick review of the 12 recruits during your time period above that signed with CU and were rated 5.7 or above on Rivals (a good benchmark for that timeframe), 6 made zero impact and only 1 had an impact in the NFL. Arguably 3 of the 12 could be considered "one of the best at their positions at CU in years" (Ken Crawley, Shay Fields and Sefo Liufau. Maybe Tim Lynott as well). Not a slam dunk. Player evaluation is not black and white.

I didn’t say Alfano would be the best defensive lineman in years. I sad we would have the best DL in years. Defensive line.

I can not draw a conclusion without seeing your data from the 18 who were drafted and 3 that signed as UFAs. What impact did they have, how much of a disappointment were they at their Universities?

The 18 drafted in the first two rounds in the NFL were definitely not a disappointment in college. You don’t get drafted that high without producing in college. For example, I believe every Buff drafted in the first two rounds was all conference. Many were all Americans.

The few NFL misses, like Shea Patterson, didn’t have terrible college careers either, but he didn’t get drafted.

Top 5 ranked recruits have an extremely high hit rate. However, Alfano needs to earn it, so I get your point.

Maybe I missed it, but did Alfano get the waiver approved by the NCAA to play this season, if there is a season?

Maybe I missed it, but did Alfano get the waiver approved by the NCAA to play this season, if there is a season?

Never applied as far as I can tell due to all of the other matters. The plan was always to get settled in, have a good semester (in spring of last year), then apply. Obviously, a whole lot has transpired to upset that plan, but my feeling is that the NCAA will not be an impediment for him playing immediately. Rather, I think it’s more on him to be committed and in good graces with the team. Some really positive signs of late in that regard, but it’s still very much in “we’ll see” stage.

Seems likely if we play in the Spring he gets a waiver. The late season should help us

Because it's factual?

NEGATIVE NANCY ALERT!

If the greatest coach in the history of the sport thought this kid was good enough to play there as a freshman, that's an opinion you've gotta take pretty seriously.

Never applied as far as I can tell due to all of the other matters. The plan was always to get settled in, have a good semester (in spring of last year), then apply. Obviously, a whole lot has transpired to upset that plan, but my feeling is that the NCAA will not be an impediment for him playing immediately. Rather, I think it’s more on him to be committed and in good graces with the team. Some really positive signs of late in that regard, but it’s still very much in “we’ll see” stage.

I think the waiver may have been submitted based on Howell’s article. No word on any decision.

“Part of it was taking a summer school class,” Dorrell said. “The other part was handling some of his medical issues that he’s been dealing with that he’s got documented – and the waiver from his transfer. He’s done a lot of leg work to get reinstated. He’s met all those things and checked off all those boxes to get things done.”

Back