What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

I mean....well, does this guy look very bright to you?

images

edit: or this guy?

images

Seriously, the google image search for "Jim McElwain" is like a treasure trove of goober pictures

He is winning big at CSU. Kinda bright to me. However he does look a lot like homer simpson and Mark Hamill.

Some people got very upset when CU paid out approximately $3 million to each Hawkins and to Embree when they fired them, this is double that.

These numbers may seem like huge amounts of money but with the payouts that schools in the P5 conferences are getting from their media contracts I don't think this kind of figure will be that unusual.

If they are willing to pay that much to get rid of a coach how much are they willing to spend to buy another coach out of his contract? They are likely to go after somebody currently under contract at another P5 school. If they pay just for examples sake $5 million to buy out that contract then that school is less likely to be hindered by a big buyout price for the target they are looking at from a non-P5 school.

Lots of people are looking at McElwains buyout as an obstacle to his leaving. This might instead point to a trend where non-P5 schools start hiring with a condition of a high buyout and use the steppingstone nature of their jobs as a way to generate significant revenue.

CSU would hate to lose McElwain but also would look bad if they became an obstacle to his moving up. They have the $7.5 million buyout on paper but it would be a boost to their finances if they could negotiate a payment of say $5 million to let him go.
Step 1, fire current coach pay him & his staff's buyouts.
$7,500,000​
Step 2, Hire McElwain and pay CSU buyout
$7,500,000​
Step 3, Sign McElwain & new staff to multi year contracts
$8,000,000​
Total Cost of coaching change:
$22,000,000​

I have $7.5 mil up there. Muschamp was $6.3mil? How much did his staff get for getting fired?

Looks cheap to me.

Last edited:
$7,500,000​
$7,500,000​
$8,000,000​
$22,000,000​

I have $7.5 mil up there. Muschamp was $6.3mil? How much did his staff get for getting fired?

Looks cheap to me.

You could buy a lot of tank tops and ATVs for that money.

$7,500,000​
$7,500,000​
$8,000,000​
$22,000,000​

Looks cheap to me.

Of your $22 million, $15.5 is cost of doing business. Only way to avoid it is to not fire Muschamp. You are going to be paying a staff either way and you can't avoid the buyout at this point. The only difference is the cost of buying out the new coach from his prior school. If you hire anyone decent who is currently working he is going to have a buyout, maybe smaller than McElwain but still the marginal cost of going after McElwain ends up being significantly less than the $7.5 million you listed and a fairly small piece of the entire transaction.

For the record I don't think Florida will go after him, rather I think they will go after someone who is currently at a P5 school. What I would see is them spending millions to buy that coach out with that school then putting those dollars towards paying CSU for McElwain reducing their effective cost of buying him out.

The SEC East is ripe for the development of a powerhouse alpha team and what better team than Florida to be that? Or to TRY to be that. Jim Mc would be crazy not to want the job, but I'm not sure if he's high enough profile right now to get the offer. The Gators might want a flashier name with more zing to it.

Has anybody even expressed interest in McIlwhine? This reminds me of the guys last year hoping nobody comes after McIntyre.

Has anybody even expressed interest in McIlwhine? This reminds me of the guys last year hoping nobody comes after McIntyre.

National writer at Rivals talked about him in connection with the Florida job. So people are talking about him.

No schools are really going to publicly express interest for risk of a Butch Jones saga.

National writer at Rivals talked about him in connection with the Florida job. So people are talking about him.

No schools are really going to publicly express interest for risk of a Butch Jones saga.

A lot of this is driven by media consultants. All coaches want to have their names out there for big jobs, and hire people to do it. He doesn't have the CV to justify a buyout of his contract.

Hey Flounder, little attrition already with Muschamp leaving. Hear that D-end Fowler I think is leaving too. Probably for the draft I'd guess, I don't know what year he is though?

A lot of this is driven by media consultants. All coaches want to have their names out there for big jobs, and hire people to do it. He doesn't have the CV to justify a buyout of his contract.

Maybe not. But I don't think you can ignore the season they are having up there. Plus his background in the SEC is going to be desirable to teams as well.

I personally think he will stay at CSU a couple more years before jumping.

Of your $22 million, $15.5 is cost of doing business. Only way to avoid it is to not fire Muschamp. You are going to be paying a staff either way and you can't avoid the buyout at this point. The only difference is the cost of buying out the new coach from his prior school. If you hire anyone decent who is currently working he is going to have a buyout, maybe smaller than McElwain but still the marginal cost of going after McElwain ends up being significantly less than the $7.5 million you listed and a fairly small piece of the entire transaction.

For the record I don't think Florida will go after him, rather I think they will go after someone who is currently at a P5 school. What I would see is them spending millions to buy that coach out with that school then putting those dollars towards paying CSU for McElwain reducing their effective cost of buying him out.

If Florida wants him - they will get him and McElwain would be insane not to take it. It's a top-10 job. However, I am with you. I don't see Florida making that move. I think Florida would be crazy not to tab Rich Rod out of Arizona. He runs the same style of system that carried Florida to two national titles and fits the personnel they already have in place. Not to mention the recruiting ties he has in that area of the country from his time at West Virginia.

McElwain will get his shot somewhere and CSU will receive a very nice windfall to make a good quality hire. However, I just don't see Florida as the right fit.

Last edited:
If Florida wants him - they will get him and McElwain would be insane not to take it. It's a top-10 job. However, I am with you. I don't see Florida making that move. I think Florida would be crazy not to tab Rich Rod out of Arizona. He runs the same style of system that carried Florida to two national titles and fits the personnel they already have in place. Not to mention the recruiting ties he has in that area of the country from his time at West Virginia.

McElwain will get his shot somewhere and CSU will receive a very nice windfall to make a good quality hire. However, I just don't see Florida as the right fit.
I keep seeing stories, the latest based on a supposed statement from UF's AD, that Mullen and Rich Rod will not be considered. For the life of me I cannot see why UF doesn't hire Rich Rod...he seems a perfect fit.

I think I would agree with this.

I keep seeing stories, the latest based on a supposed statement from UF's AD, that Mullen and Rich Rod will not be considered. For the life of me I cannot see why UF doesn't hire Rich Rod...he seems a perfect fit.

The more I think about it the more I think RR would be the perfect fit for Florida. I think he could bring them back to the top echelon.

I just want RichRod out of Zona, Graham out of ASU, and McElwain out at CSU. I think I'll get at least 2/3 of my wish on this year's carousel.

Would be nice to see Harbaugh leave SF, and Mora replace him. Not likely, but we are reduced to hoping for others to slip at this point....

I like Mora at UCLA: he consistently under-performs with what he's got. If the talent disparity weren't so blatant, he'd be a .500 level coach year after year.

He's the Pac 12 version of Bo Pellini.

When Rich-Rod's name was brought up with Cooperstein on Twitter he said the FL take on him was he does better where the lights are not as bright on him. He did not elaborate on it but it seemed he was saying RR might bend the rules from time to time, and when he could not (See Ann Arbor) he failed in an epic way.

When Rich-Rod's name was brought up with Cooperstein on Twitter he said the FL take on him was he does better where the lights are not as bright on him. He did not elaborate on it but it seemed he was saying RR might bend the rules from time to time, and when he could not (See Ann Arbor) he failed in an epic way.
I don't think UF has any trouble with bending the rules...

So we need all the coaches in the Pac 12 South to turnover for us to be relevant. It really sucks to be so bad.

So we need all the coaches in the Pac 12 South to turnover for us to be relevant. It really sucks to be so bad.

Correct. Lets devalue the conference so we can be winners. Versus trying to fix our problems, growing, meeting and going toe to toe with the competition.

For example, 62-36 was a great victory. However it was mildly tainted for me because Dr. Tom was not on the sidelines to receive that beating. We won that day, in part, because the other team was fading from its glory.

We need some help to get back to where we were. We need others to fall. No getting around it.

Correct. Lets devalue the conference so we can be winners. Versus trying to fix our problems, growing, meeting and going toe to toe with the competition.

For example, 62-36 was a great victory. However it was mildly tainted for me because Dr. Tom was not on the sidelines to receive that beating. We won that day, in part, because the other team was fading from its glory.

Dr. Protect All Things Red Tom was the ad at the time, iirc.

That victory carries no taint in anyway, shape, or form.

Dr. Protect All Things Red Tom was the ad at the time, iirc.

That victory carries no taint in anyway, shape, or form.

Mild disagreement: Go back and watch the game. GB's good friend Vince Okruch's "D" was one kNU fumble (inside CU's 5 yd line), away from almost blowing the lead early in the 3rd Qtr.

Back