What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

The resident UF booster in DFW is Chuck Cooperstein, he is the radio voice of the Mavericks. He said his contacts have them making a run at Stoops and if they cant convince him to take the job they will pay the buy out and Sparkles is headed to the Swamp.

The resident UF booster in DFW is Chuck Cooperstein, he is the radio voice of the Mavericks. He said his contacts have them making a run at Stoops and if they cant convince him to take the job they will pay the buy out and Sparkles is headed to the Swamp.

It's a formula that has worked for them in the past. The two most successful coaches in their recent history were both successful head coaches at smaller programs first. Teams tend to go to the well that has produced water before.

Be a really good hire if they got Stoops. I think it would be good for OU and Florida, nothing wrong with change, sometimes it needs to be done.

Wow, while I think Spparkles has done a good job in Ft. Collins, (and I often wonder what would have happened if CU would have hired him instead of Embree), I never thought he would be on a short list for a national power so quickly.

He's been there and that is pretty fertile ground. Their offense won't suck if he comes to town, D is already pretty good. They might have the best corner in the country, he's very good.

Off topic, but now that we have an actual playoff is it still a "MNC" or can we just call it a "NC" outright?

I'd say it's even worse now. 57 one loss teams and we're gonna pick 4 for a playoff. If the #4 seed wins (and g-d forbid it's not an sec team), all hells gonna break lose. At least the old bowl system you got what you got and people didn't go from 11 to 2 in a week.

I'd say it's even worse now. 57 one loss teams and we're gonna pick 4 for a playoff. If the #4 seed wins (and g-d forbid it's not an sec team), all hells gonna break lose. At least the old bowl system you got what you got and people didn't go from 11 to 2 in a week.

There is always going to be an arguement. Go to an 8 team or bigger playoff then you end up with an undefeated team losing to a 2 loss team. Then it isn't a question of who was the best team that year, it is who is hottest at the end.

One of the unique things about college football is that it has always been a measure of an entire season, not of being good enough to get into the playoff and winning out at the end.

There is always going to be an arguement. Go to an 8 team or bigger playoff then you end up with an undefeated team losing to a 2 loss team. Then it isn't a question of who was the best team that year, it is who is hottest at the end.

One of the unique things about college football is that it has always been a measure of an entire season, not of being good enough to get into the playoff and winning out at the end.

Kinda my point. I am the most anti-CFP person I know. I don't even watch pro football because of this.

With only a 4 team playoff that virtually insures the best team from each of the P5 conferences is going to make it. It is therefore extremely important that you win every game.

What will be interesting is if, say, an undefeated team enters the conference playoff and then loses to the other team that backed into the CCG with 2 losses.

The Bowl selection committees are probably also strategizing about their invites. Do they invite early? Do they wait for an Alabama to fall in their lap?

You know this thing will be eight teams eventually. That said, the 2nd team in the SEC most years could probably also beat the top team from most of the other conferences...

...and returning to the carousel...UF rumors.

A gator "insider" says Jeremy Foley is looking for an NFL guy and his top target is Josh McDaniels, an epic stupid move IMO, followed by Jim Schwartz, Schiano and possibly Harbaugh. Supposedly Foley does not want to buy out Muschamp, and buyout another top flight CFB HC to replace him.

Take it FWIW.

...and returning to the carousel...UF rumors.

A gator "insider" says Jeremy Foley is looking for an NFL guy and his top target is Josh McDaniels, an epic stupid move IMO, followed by Jim Schwartz, Schiano and possibly Harbaugh. Supposedly Foley does not want to buy out Muschamp, and buyout another top flight CFB HC to replace him.

Take it FWIW.

If true, if a program like UF doesn't want to or can't afford to, that could mean Sparkles will be at CSU for quite awhile. Foley probably believes that he can find a competent assistant that would be just as good as a major coach. We shall see.

Muschamp was only getting $3 million per year.

If they don't want to pony up big $$$ for their next coach, the assistant coaching ranks or the unemployed ex NFL coaches are likely their only avenue.

I'm hearing rumors that aTm is going to cut a Texas sized check for their next D-coordinator Muschamp.

I really hope they don't hire Josh McDaniels. Of all the teams in the SEC, I can tolerate Florida the best. Hiring Josh McDaniels would be the equivalent to our hiring Dan Hawkins. It would not end well for them. They'd probably go and hire Emmitt Smith to replace McDaniels, and truly burn the program to the ground.

I really hope they don't hire Josh McDaniels. Of all the teams in the SEC, I can tolerate Florida the best. Hiring Josh McDaniels would be the equivalent to our hiring Dan Hawkins. It would not end well for them. They'd probably go and hire Emmitt Smith to replace McDaniels, and truly burn the program to the ground.

I have more of a soft spot for Georgia. Great fans.

My own opinion is that McDaniels will be an epic failure. He just does not have the personality to be an effective head coach on any level. He tends to be a jerk.

it wouldn't be the first time. Charlie Pell nearly killed them with NCAA violations. Since WWII they only had two coaches above .600 until Spurrier came along and resurrected them. He remains the winningest coach in Florida history.

This is an interesting one to watch.

My own opinion is that McDaniels will be an epic failure. He just does not have the personality to be an effective head coach on any level. He tends to be a jerk.

Agree, McD is all about McD. I can see him having a very difficult time keeping and working with assistant coaches. He seems like one of those guys who thinks he is to smart to listen to advice contrary to his own ideas.

it wouldn't be the first time. Charlie Pell nearly killed them with NCAA violations. Since WWII they only had two coaches above .600 until Spurrier came along and resurrected them. He remains the winningest coach in Florida history.

This is an interesting one to watch.

Remember sypgate. In addition to his ego as listed above he also is the type who thinks that a) the rules don't apply to him and b) he is to smart to get caught.

I could see him leaving UF in shambles with a bad roster for them and sanctions as well.

Beyond that, the Belichick assistant coaching tree hasn't resulted in successful HCs as a general rule.

I'm pretty much of the opinion at this point that if you've got Belichick running the show and Brady orchestrating it, any football coach can build a resume as an assistant there and that success isn't a representation of that assistant's talent. I honestly believe that you could plug in any NFL assistant to that situation and he'd look great.

Agree, McD is all about McD. I can see him having a very difficult time keeping and working with assistant coaches. He seems like one of those guys who thinks he is to smart to listen to advice contrary to his own ideas.

Remember sypgate. In addition to his ego as listed above he also is the type who thinks that a) the rules don't apply to him and b) he is to smart to get caught.

I could see him leaving UF in shambles with a bad roster for them and sanctions as well.

I think Spurrier is too old to come back. I think they realize what he is today and what he once was. I didn't mean to imply that.

I do think his assistants or Urban Meyers assistants names might come up. Charlie Strong would have be candidate numero uno if he hadn't gone to Texas. There are some former Gators that are HCs in lower divisions and bunch of players (Schotenheimer's kid) that are assistants. Same with Urban.

Last edited:
I dunno about the Stoops to Florida stuff. No doubt, UF thinks it can get him, but I'm not convinced he would go. I'm also not convinced OU would let him go. Raiding a coach from OU is a different animal than raiding one from Utah.

I think Spurrier is too old to come back. I think they realize what he is today and what he once was. I didn't mean to imply that.

I do think his assistants or Urban Meyers assistants names might come up. Charlie Strong would have be candidate numero uno if he hadn't gone to Texas. There are some former Gators that are HCs in lower divisions and bunch of players (Schotenheimer's kid) that are assistants. Same with Urban.

Florida would be way better of to get a current top assistant or HC at a lower level school. That said they may feel the pressure from some big money donors to hire somebody with a "name" meaning either an NFL guy or a retread.

If by some way CSU made the play off (lol right) sparkles buy out jumps to a staggering. $13,500,000.

Back